RPM 'failed dependancies' needed for OpenOffice rpm install - Redhat

This is a discussion on RPM 'failed dependancies' needed for OpenOffice rpm install - Redhat ; Hi, My open office v.2.0.2 installation on Red Hat Linux 7.2 (using RPMs) failed due to two 'failed dependancies', these are: libgnomevfs-2.so.0 libgconf-2.so.4 So I'm looking for the RPMs of them both. Unfortunately I can't find them for Red Hat ...

  1. RPM 'failed dependancies' needed for OpenOffice rpm install

    Hi,

    My open office v.2.0.2 installation on Red Hat Linux 7.2 (using RPMs)
    failed due to two 'failed dependancies', these are:

    libgnomevfs-2.so.0
    libgconf-2.so.4

    So I'm looking for the RPMs of them both.

    Unfortunately I can't find them for Red Hat 7.2, although I found them for
    various flavours of Linux and some very similar filenames for RH 7.2, I
    couldn't find those exact ones for RH 7.2.

    Can someone point me to a source please? Or explain what variations of
    filenames would also work.

    Sorry if this is a bit trivial, I'm a Linux newbie and not confident
    enough to dive in the deep end and guess.

    Many thanks, regards, etc..

  2. Re: RPM 'failed dependancies' needed for OpenOffice rpm install

    MS writes:

    >Hi,

    >My open office v.2.0.2 installation on Red Hat Linux 7.2 (using RPMs)
    >failed due to two 'failed dependancies', these are:

    >libgnomevfs-2.so.0
    >libgconf-2.so.4

    >So I'm looking for the RPMs of them both.

    >Unfortunately I can't find them for Red Hat 7.2, although I found them for
    >various flavours of Linux and some very similar filenames for RH 7.2, I
    >couldn't find those exact ones for RH 7.2.

    Lunacy. Redhat 7.2 is very very old. It has loads of security issues. It
    has loads of packages which were not available then.

    Get the source rpms for those packages from a more recent version of Redhat
    and try to compile them. If that does not work, then you are out of luck.
    Note that OpenOffice also will not run on Dos 3.0.

    >Can someone point me to a source please? Or explain what variations of
    >filenames would also work.

    >Sorry if this is a bit trivial, I'm a Linux newbie and not confident
    >enough to dive in the deep end and guess.

    Why in the world as a newbie would you have installed Redhat 7.2? I could
    imagine someone who tuned up his 7.2 10 years ago and was loath to change
    it. But a newbie should not have installed it. Please do yourself a favour,
    get a recent version of Linux (eg Fedora Core 5 or Mandriva 2006 or...)
    and install it and save yourself a huge amount of grief.

    >Many thanks, regards, etc..

  3. Re: RPM 'failed dependancies' needed for OpenOffice rpm install

    "MS" wrote in message
    news:33uqg.95942$wl.12677@text.news.blueyonder.co. uk...
    > Hi,
    >
    > My open office v.2.0.2 installation on Red Hat Linux 7.2 (using RPMs)
    > failed due to two 'failed dependancies', these are:
    >
    > libgnomevfs-2.so.0
    > libgconf-2.so.4
    >
    > So I'm looking for the RPMs of them both.
    >
    > Unfortunately I can't find them for Red Hat 7.2, although I found them for
    > various flavours of Linux and some very similar filenames for RH 7.2, I
    > couldn't find those exact ones for RH 7.2.

    RedHat 7.2 is way, way, way deprecated. Can you at least update to RedHat
    7.3? That's still legacy support ed at www.fedoralegacy.org, and that has
    "yum" support enabled to their site for security and software updates.

    And where in the heck did you find an OpenOffice 2.0.2 for RedHat 7.x?

    > Can someone point me to a source please? Or explain what variations of
    > filenames would also work.
    >
    > Sorry if this is a bit trivial, I'm a Linux newbie and not confident
    > enough to dive in the deep end and guess.

    Head on over to http://rpm.pbone.net. It's handy for resolving such
    dependencies in systems that don't have yum or similar package management
    tools.

  4. Re: RPM 'failed dependancies' needed for OpenOffice rpm install

    MS writes:

    > Hi,
    >
    > My open office v.2.0.2 installation on Red Hat Linux 7.2 (using RPMs)
    > failed due to two 'failed dependancies', these are:
    >
    > libgnomevfs-2.so.0
    > libgconf-2.so.4
    >
    > So I'm looking for the RPMs of them both.
    >
    > Unfortunately I can't find them for Red Hat 7.2, although I found them for
    > various flavours of Linux and some very similar filenames for RH 7.2, I
    > couldn't find those exact ones for RH 7.2.

    OpenOffice 2.0 was never released for Red Hat 7.2

    You are probably trying to install OpenOffice for FC4 or FC5 RPM on Red Hat
    7.2

    It won't work.

    Red Hat 7.2? WTF? Why are you wasting your time with such an ancient
    dinosaur?

  5. Re: RPM 'failed dependancies' needed for OpenOffice rpm install

    MS wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > My open office v.2.0.2 installation on Red Hat Linux 7.2 (using RPMs)
    > failed due to two 'failed dependancies', these are:
    >
    > libgnomevfs-2.so.0
    > libgconf-2.so.4

    Those are part of GNOME 2.x. RH 7.2 didn't even have that. You can
    either upgrade to a later release of RH (or clones, such as CentOS), or
    you can try OpenOffice 1.1.5, which still works fine on RH 7.3. If you
    can't get copies of the ISOs for 7.3, I can help you. You really must
    replace RH 7.2, unless you aren't taking it online.

    --
    Ed Hurst
    ------------

  6. Re: RPM 'failed dependancies' needed for OpenOffice rpm install

    MS did eloquently scribble:

    > Hi,

    > My open office v.2.0.2 installation on Red Hat Linux 7.2 (using RPMs)
    > failed due to two 'failed dependancies', these are:

    > libgnomevfs-2.so.0
    > libgconf-2.so.4

    > So I'm looking for the RPMs of them both.

    > Unfortunately I can't find them for Red Hat 7.2, although I found them for
    > various flavours of Linux and some very similar filenames for RH 7.2, I
    > couldn't find those exact ones for RH 7.2.

    Hardly a surprise really is it?
    I mean? REDHAT 7.2?!
    That's.... what... 4 years out of date? 5?

    > Can someone point me to a source please? Or explain what variations of
    > filenames would also work.

    did it occur to you to go to THEIR website?
    you know the one, the product IS named after the website after all.

    > Sorry if this is a bit trivial, I'm a Linux newbie and not confident
    > enough to dive in the deep end and guess.

    First on the agenda... You REALLY should consider upgrading to a newer
    version. 7.2 is VERY obsolete!
    |Andrew Halliwell BSc(hons)| |

  7. Re: RPM 'failed dependancies' needed for OpenOffice rpm install

    Thanks everyone for your replies, I think an upgrade is in order!

    Basically I installed RH 7.2 a few years ago on an old PC and have used it
    almost exclusively as a (local network) MySQL database server --it's never
    even been connected to the Internet.

    What Linux should I install? It's a low powered machine not even a 1 Ghz
    processor and 128 MB RAM. One of the posters suggested Fedora Core 5,
    would this run ok on a low specs machine? May I also have some suggestions
    for an appropriate Linux for a low specs machine please?

    Many thanks.

    MS emailed this:
    > Hi,
    >
    > My open office v.2.0.2 installation on Red Hat Linux 7.2 (using RPMs)
    > failed due to two 'failed dependancies', these are:
    >
    > libgnomevfs-2.so.0
    > libgconf-2.so.4
    >
    > So I'm looking for the RPMs of them both.
    >
    > Unfortunately I can't find them for Red Hat 7.2, although I found them
    > for various flavours of Linux and some very similar filenames for RH
    > 7.2, I couldn't find those exact ones for RH 7.2.
    >
    > Can someone point me to a source please? Or explain what variations of
    > filenames would also work.
    >
    > Sorry if this is a bit trivial, I'm a Linux newbie and not confident
    > enough to dive in the deep end and guess.
    >
    > Many thanks, regards, etc..

  8. Re: RPM 'failed dependancies' needed for OpenOffice rpm install

    "MS" wrote in message
    news:GUOqg.96620$wl.26262@text.news.blueyonder.co. uk...
    > Thanks everyone for your replies, I think an upgrade is in order!
    >
    > Basically I installed RH 7.2 a few years ago on an old PC and have used it
    > almost exclusively as a (local network) MySQL database server --it's never
    > even been connected to the Internet.
    >
    > What Linux should I install? It's a low powered machine not even a 1 Ghz
    > processor and 128 MB RAM. One of the posters suggested Fedora Core 5,
    > would this run ok on a low specs machine? May I also have some suggestions
    > for an appropriate Linux for a low specs machine please?

    With 128 Meg of RAM, I wouldn't go much above RedHat 9. But running
    OpenOffice on 128 Meg is like trying to comb your hair with a work. It lacks
    the necessary resources to do the job quickly.

  9. Re: RPM 'failed dependancies' needed for OpenOffice rpm install

    Nico Kadel-Garcia emailed this:
    > "MS" wrote in message
    > news:GUOqg.96620$wl.26262@text.news.blueyonder.co. uk...
    >> Thanks everyone for your replies, I think an upgrade is in order!
    >>
    >> Basically I installed RH 7.2 a few years ago on an old PC and have used it
    >> almost exclusively as a (local network) MySQL database server --it's never
    >> even been connected to the Internet.
    >>
    >> What Linux should I install? It's a low powered machine not even a 1 Ghz
    >> processor and 128 MB RAM. One of the posters suggested Fedora Core 5,
    >> would this run ok on a low specs machine? May I also have some suggestions
    >> for an appropriate Linux for a low specs machine please?

    > With 128 Meg of RAM, I wouldn't go much above RedHat 9. But running
    > OpenOffice on 128 Meg is like trying to comb your hair with a work. It lacks
    > the necessary resources to do the job quickly.

    Okay, thanks. Can the upgrade to RH 9 be done with RPMs?
    Cheers.

    PS. Should 'work' have been 'wok'? :-)

  10. Re: RPM 'failed dependancies' needed for OpenOffice rpm install

    MS wrote:

    > What Linux should I install? It's a low powered machine not even a 1 Ghz
    > processor and 128 MB RAM. One of the posters suggested Fedora Core 5,
    > would this run ok on a low specs machine? May I also have some suggestions
    > for an appropriate Linux for a low specs machine please?

    As is often said in response to questions like this: any Linux
    distribution will be fine. The only caveat is that with 256MB RAM or
    less, you'll want to stay away from KDE and Gnome. Use a light weight
    window manager instead (IceWM and FVWM are just two of many examples) if
    you need a GUI on it.

  11. Re: RPM 'failed dependancies' needed for OpenOffice rpm install

    "MS" wrote in message
    news:vgPqg.96630$wl.82145@text.news.blueyonder.co. uk...
    > Nico Kadel-Garcia emailed this:
    >> "MS" wrote in message
    >> news:GUOqg.96620$wl.26262@text.news.blueyonder.co. uk...
    >>> Thanks everyone for your replies, I think an upgrade is in order!
    >>>
    >>> Basically I installed RH 7.2 a few years ago on an old PC and have used
    >>> it almost exclusively as a (local network) MySQL database server --it's
    >>> never even been connected to the Internet.
    >>>
    >>> What Linux should I install? It's a low powered machine not even a 1 Ghz
    >>> processor and 128 MB RAM. One of the posters suggested Fedora Core 5,
    >>> would this run ok on a low specs machine? May I also have some
    >>> suggestions for an appropriate Linux for a low specs machine please?

    >> With 128 Meg of RAM, I wouldn't go much above RedHat 9. But running
    >> OpenOffice on 128 Meg is like trying to comb your hair with a work. It
    >> lacks the necessary resources to do the job quickly.

    > Okay, thanks. Can the upgrade to RH 9 be done with RPMs?
    > Cheers.
    >
    > PS. Should 'work' have been 'wok'? :-)

    No, it should have been "fork". But good guess, and wok is funnier.

    In theory, maybe you could do the RH9 update with RPM's, but ye ghods, I
    wouldn't suggest doing it directly: resolving the glibc and rpm software
    versions themselves is begging to make things fail unrecoverably in the
    middle. Do it in one swell foop from ISO's.

  12. Re: RPM 'failed dependancies' needed for OpenOffice rpm install

    Thanks everyone.

    John-Paul Stewart emailed this:
    > MS wrote:
    >>
    >> What Linux should I install? It's a low powered machine not even a 1
    >> Ghz processor and 128 MB RAM. One of the posters suggested Fedora Core
    >> 5, would this run ok on a low specs machine? May I also have some
    >> suggestions for an appropriate Linux for a low specs machine please?

    > As is often said in response to questions like this: any Linux
    > distribution will be fine. The only caveat is that with 256MB RAM or
    > less, you'll want to stay away from KDE and Gnome. Use a light weight
    > window manager instead (IceWM and FVWM are just two of many examples) if
    > you need a GUI on it.

+ Reply to Thread