I can see many instances of httpd (apache), will it harm if I reduce to only one server process? - Redhat

This is a discussion on I can see many instances of httpd (apache), will it harm if I reduce to only one server process? - Redhat ; I enabled Apache on RH9, I can see eight httpd processes as per httpd.conf file, If I reduce to Two or One httpd process, will it be Ok?. does it need minimum 8 httpd running?....

  1. I can see many instances of httpd (apache), will it harm if I reduce to only one server process?

    I enabled Apache on RH9, I can see eight httpd processes as per
    httpd.conf file, If I reduce to Two or One httpd process, will it be
    Ok?. does it need minimum 8 httpd running?.

  2. Re: I can see many instances of httpd (apache), will it harm if I reduce to only one server process?

    GS wrote:
    > I enabled Apache on RH9, I can see eight httpd processes as per
    > httpd.conf file, If I reduce to Two or One httpd process, will it be
    > Ok?. does it need minimum 8 httpd running?.

    No, these are spare servers waiting for next http clients coming. It saves
    time and resources not to fork new httpd server when new request comes to
    your server.

    br

    --
    http://www.actus.org.pl/ - :::: - nic-hdl: MM3380-RIPE
    GnuPG 6687 E661 98B0 AEE6 DA8B 7F48 AEE4 776F 5688 DC89

  3. Re: I can see many instances of httpd (apache), will it harm if I reduce to only one server process?

    On Sat, 17 Jun 2006 08:19:20 -0700, GS wrote:

    > I enabled Apache on RH9, I can see eight httpd processes as per httpd.conf
    > file, If I reduce to Two or One httpd process, will it be Ok?. does it
    > need minimum 8 httpd running?.

    To add to the other answer you got...

    First off, there is no reason to worry about those 8 sitting there doing
    nothing. They take very little of your system resources when they sit.

    But if you don't have much traffic to your website, there is no reason
    that you can not lower the spare server count.

    --
    Doug Herr
    doug*at*wombatz*dot*com

+ Reply to Thread