getting firefox to display chinese fonts on fedora core 5 - Redhat

This is a discussion on getting firefox to display chinese fonts on fedora core 5 - Redhat ; For those out there searching for the answer like I did (it's amazing to find also zero post on this topic), here's how you do it: 1. install the chinese font package in CD #4 of FC5 installation disk (no, ...

  1. getting firefox to display chinese fonts on fedora core 5

    For those out there searching for the answer like I did (it's amazing
    to find also zero post on this topic), here's how you do it:

    1. install the chinese font package in CD #4 of FC5 installation disk
    (no, those KDE or xorg chinese fonts wouldn't do it):

    root$ cd /media/disk/Fedora/RPMS/
    root$ rpm -vih fonts-chinese-3.02-4.1.noarch.rpm

    2. restart firefox.

    Good luck.

  2. Re: getting firefox to display chinese fonts on fedora core 5

    teekaysoh@gmail.com wrote:
    > For those out there searching for the answer like I did (it's amazing
    > to find also zero post on this topic), here's how you do it:
    >
    > 1. install the chinese font package in CD #4 of FC5 installation disk
    > (no, those KDE or xorg chinese fonts wouldn't do it):
    >
    > root$ cd /media/disk/Fedora/RPMS/
    > root$ rpm -vih fonts-chinese-3.02-4.1.noarch.rpm
    >
    > 2. restart firefox.
    >
    > Good luck.

    Would you know where can I get the source of korean fonts for Firefox
    (not RPM)?
    Thanks Very Much
    Andre

  3. Re: getting firefox to display chinese fonts on fedora core 5

    André wrote:
    > teekaysoh@gmail.com wrote:
    >> For those out there searching for the answer like I did (it's amazing
    >> to find also zero post on this topic), here's how you do it:
    >>
    >> 1. install the chinese font package in CD #4 of FC5 installation disk
    >> (no, those KDE or xorg chinese fonts wouldn't do it):
    >>
    >> root$ cd /media/disk/Fedora/RPMS/
    >> root$ rpm -vih fonts-chinese-3.02-4.1.noarch.rpm
    >>
    >> 2. restart firefox.
    >>
    >> Good luck.

    > Would you know where can I get the source of korean fonts for Firefox
    > (not RPM)?
    > Thanks Very Much
    > Andre

    Maybe the "korean-fonts" package, from another of your installation disks or
    at one of the Fedora Core mirror sites?

  4. Re: getting firefox to display chinese fonts on fedora core 5

    On Sun, 11 Jun 2006 14:59:56 -0400, "Nico Kadel-Garcia"
    wrote:

    >André wrote:
    >> teekaysoh@gmail.com wrote:
    >>> For those out there searching for the answer like I did (it's amazing
    >>> to find also zero post on this topic), here's how you do it:
    >>>
    >>> 1. install the chinese font package in CD #4 of FC5 installation disk
    >>> (no, those KDE or xorg chinese fonts wouldn't do it):
    >>>
    >>> root$ cd /media/disk/Fedora/RPMS/
    >>> root$ rpm -vih fonts-chinese-3.02-4.1.noarch.rpm
    >>>
    >>> 2. restart firefox.
    >>>
    >>> Good luck.

    >> Would you know where can I get the source of korean fonts for Firefox
    >> (not RPM)?
    >> Thanks Very Much
    >> Andre

    >Maybe the "korean-fonts" package, from another of your installation disks or
    >at one of the Fedora Core mirror sites?

    I think the question specified korean Firefox fonts in non-rpm form,
    which presumably would not be on the Fedora installation disks or core
    mirror sites. I don't know the answer though.

  5. Re: getting firefox to display chinese fonts on fedora core 5

    On 2006-06-11, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
    > André wrote:
    >> teekaysoh@gmail.com wrote:
    >>> For those out there searching for the answer like I did (it's amazing
    >>> to find also zero post on this topic), here's how you do it:
    >>>
    >>> 1. install the chinese font package in CD #4 of FC5 installation disk
    >>> (no, those KDE or xorg chinese fonts wouldn't do it):
    >>>
    >>> root$ cd /media/disk/Fedora/RPMS/
    >>> root$ rpm -vih fonts-chinese-3.02-4.1.noarch.rpm
    >>>
    >>> 2. restart firefox.
    >>>
    >>> Good luck.

    >> Would you know where can I get the source of korean fonts for Firefox
    >> (not RPM)?
    >> Thanks Very Much
    >> Andre

    > Maybe the "korean-fonts" package, from another of your installation disks or
    > at one of the Fedora Core mirror sites?

    They're fonts in a noarch.rpm file. If you have the ability to extract
    files from an rpm (or convert it) (e.g. rpm2cpio, but may require an
    rpm based system anyway) you can extract the font files. Being on a dialup
    (and the file being over 20Meg) I can't get it (without spending a lot
    of time). Or someone who has installed it can look at the files in the rpm
    rpm -q -l [installed_rpm]
    and put copies in a tar-ball (with a text file indicating the directory
    in which they were installed).

  6. Re: getting firefox to display chinese fonts on fedora core 5

    Spamless wrote:
    > On 2006-06-11, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
    >> André wrote:

    >>> Would you know where can I get the source of korean fonts for
    >>> Firefox (not RPM)?
    >>> Thanks Very Much
    >>> Andre

    >> Maybe the "korean-fonts" package, from another of your installation
    >> disks or at one of the Fedora Core mirror sites?

    > They're fonts in a noarch.rpm file. If you have the ability to extract
    > files from an rpm (or convert it) (e.g. rpm2cpio, but may require an
    > rpm based system anyway) you can extract the font files. Being on a
    > dialup (and the file being over 20Meg) I can't get it (without
    > spending a lot
    > of time). Or someone who has installed it can look at the files in
    > the rpm rpm -q -l [installed_rpm]
    > and put copies in a tar-ball (with a text file indicating the
    > directory in which they were installed).

    You can get it: use a "wget -c" operation on your local FTP mirror.

    Extracting and tarballing and compressing them somewhere else won't help you
    much: they're compressed in the RPM, and the RPM is almost entirely made of
    the fonts, so you'll have nearly 20 MB to transfer some other way.

+ Reply to Thread