Samba Help! - Redhat

This is a discussion on Samba Help! - Redhat ; My wife has a Windows XP box, and I have a Fedora Core 5 PC. I have samba 3.0.22 configured with a global section like this: [global] security = user workgroup = MSHOME server string = Samba on linuxpc encrypt ...

  1. Samba Help!

    My wife has a Windows XP box, and I have a Fedora Core 5 PC.
    I have samba 3.0.22 configured with a global section like this:

    [global]
    security = user
    workgroup = MSHOME
    server string = Samba on linuxpc
    encrypt passwords = yes
    dns proxy = no
    domain master = no
    log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
    cups options = raw
    load printers = yes
    local master = No
    os level = 20
    hosts allow = 192.168.1. 127.
    printcap name = /etc/printcap
    max log size = 50

    The share I created for my wife to connect to is named tmp:
    [tmp]
    path = /tmp
    force user = fred
    force group = sys
    comment = tmp directory
    valid users = karen KAREN Karen 'Karen Smith'
    writeable = yes
    public = yes

    When I run smbd in debug mode like "smbd -d 3 -i -s /etc/samba/smb.conf",
    I see the following errors:

    Got user=[Karen Smith] domain=[KAREN] workstation=[KAREN] len1=24 len2=24
    check_ntlm_password: Checking password for unmapped user [KAREN]\[Karen
    Smith]@[KAREN] with the new password interface check_ntlm_password:
    mapped user is: [LINUXPC]\[Karen Smith]@[KAREN] push_sec_ctx(0, 0) :
    sec_ctx_stack_ndx = 1 push_conn_ctx(0) : conn_ctx_stack_ndx = 0 setting
    sec ctx (0, 0) - sec_ctx_stack_ndx = 1 pop_sec_ctx (0, 0) -
    sec_ctx_stack_ndx = 0 check_sam_security: Couldn't find user 'Karen Smith'
    in passdb. check_ntlm_password: Authentication for user [Karen Smith] ->
    [Karen Smith] FAILED with error NT_STATUS_NO_SUCH_USER

    I've tried NUMEROUS permutations of settings, and still no luck.
    What do I have to do to allow my wife's Windows box connect to
    my Linux box?

    -Thanks

  2. Re: Samba Help!

    Fred wrote:

    > What do I have to do to allow my wife's Windows box connect to
    > my Linux box?

    No problems with something like;

    [lenard]
    path = /home/lenard
    writeable = yes

    And using the plain password registry patch;

    http://techbase.msu.edu/viewpathfinder.asp?id=338

    --
    "A personal computer is called a personal computer because it's yours,
    Anything that runs on that computer, you should have control over."

+ Reply to Thread