Do I need local mail ? (NEWB) - Redhat

This is a discussion on Do I need local mail ? (NEWB) - Redhat ; I have a single server and a few XP workstations. The workstations get their mail directly form the ISP presently. As I see it I have one of two options for email configuration on the lan: 1) Keep the mailboxes ...

  1. Do I need local mail ? (NEWB)

    I have a single server and a few XP workstations.

    The workstations get their mail directly form the ISP presently.

    As I see it I have one of two options for email configuration on the lan:

    1) Keep the mailboxes at the ISP and have system generated mail for root &
    fax etc redirected to the ISP mailbox using aliases.

    2) Setup local mailboxes, with POP3 access via dovecot, and have the isp
    mail collected, translated and delivered to the local mailboxes using
    fetchmail.

    I am interested in comments regarding both setups:

    Thanks in advance...

  2. Re: Do I need local mail ? (NEWB)

    Dear McHenry,

    McHenry wrote:
    > I have a single server and a few XP workstations.
    >
    > The workstations get their mail directly form the ISP presently.
    >
    > As I see it I have one of two options for email configuration on the lan:
    >
    > 1) Keep the mailboxes at the ISP and have system generated mail for root &
    > fax etc redirected to the ISP mailbox using aliases.

    Disadvantage: if you cannot use encryption, all your configuration
    failures will be send in clear text over the internet. Due to logfiles
    extracts being mailed daily.

    So I would not do this. Keep root's email local.

    > 2) Setup local mailboxes, with POP3 access via dovecot, and have the isp
    > mail collected, translated and delivered to the local mailboxes using
    > fetchmail.

    Depends on how much diskspace you have. If you choose this mail
    configuration, use user or group quota on the 'mailbox filesystem'. If
    you do not use user quota everbody may keep the emails for ever on your
    mailserver.

    > I am interested in comments regarding both setups:
    >
    > Thanks in advance...

    Kind regards,

    Jan Gerrit Kootstra RHCE

  3. Re: Do I need local mail ? (NEWB)

    In article <447d025b$0$7882$5a62ac22@per-qv1-newsreader-01.iinet.net.au>,
    McHenry wrote:
    > I have a single server and a few XP workstations.
    >
    > The workstations get their mail directly form the ISP presently.
    >
    > As I see it I have one of two options for email configuration on the lan:
    >
    > 1) Keep the mailboxes at the ISP and have system generated mail for root &
    > fax etc redirected to the ISP mailbox using aliases.
    >
    > 2) Setup local mailboxes, with POP3 access via dovecot, and have the isp
    > mail collected, translated and delivered to the local mailboxes using
    > fetchmail.

    This is what I currently do and it works great. I'm able to use SpamAssassin
    and ClamAV to keep the mailboxes free of spam and viruses. Keep in mind that
    you can also use IMAP instead of POP3..

    > I am interested in comments regarding both setups:

    In my home network, my Linux server also provides DHCP and Dynamic-DNS to the
    Windows XP clients.

    Kevin

    --
    Unix Guy Consulting, LLC
    Unix and Linux Automation, Shell, Perl and CGI scripting

+ Reply to Thread