EXT3-fs error (device sdb2) in start_transaction: Journal has aborted - Redhat

This is a discussion on EXT3-fs error (device sdb2) in start_transaction: Journal has aborted - Redhat ; Hi, On my Redhat ES4 box we get the following message on the dmesg after the box has been running for days.: EXT3-fs error (device sdb2) in start_transaction: Journal has aborted At this point we can issue reboot command or ...

  1. EXT3-fs error (device sdb2) in start_transaction: Journal has aborted

    Hi,

    On my Redhat ES4 box we get the following message on the dmesg after
    the box has been running for days.:

    EXT3-fs error (device sdb2) in start_transaction: Journal has aborted

    At this point we can issue reboot command or shutdown. Only way is the
    HARD REBOOT it.

    Anyone with any knowledge they can part on this issue???

    I would really appreciate any help.

    Thanks
    Parvinder Bhasin

  2. Re: EXT3-fs error (device sdb2) in start_transaction: Journal has aborted

    parvinderb@gmail.com writes:
    >Hi,
    >
    >On my Redhat ES4 box we get the following message on the dmesg after
    >the box has been running for days.:
    >
    >EXT3-fs error (device sdb2) in start_transaction: Journal has aborted
    >
    >At this point we can issue reboot command or shutdown. Only way is the
    >HARD REBOOT it.
    >
    >Anyone with any knowledge they can part on this issue???
    >
    >I would really appreciate any help.
    >
    >Thanks
    >Parvinder Bhasin

    1) You got an I/O error writing to the journal. This should be
    obvious by the messages in /var/log/messages.

    2) Someone stepped on the first few sectors of your filesystem
    (which contains the journal and superblock).

    scott

+ Reply to Thread