What's the Cygwin equiv of /etc/resolve.conf? - Redhat

This is a discussion on What's the Cygwin equiv of /etc/resolve.conf? - Redhat ; How do you get Cygwin to do a domain name lookup? I have a Linux cvs server that my partner needs to access from Cygwin via ssh. Cygwin doesn't seem to be able to resolve domain names so we have ...

  1. What's the Cygwin equiv of /etc/resolve.conf?

    How do you get Cygwin to do a domain name lookup? I have a Linux cvs
    server that my partner needs to access from Cygwin via ssh. Cygwin doesn't
    seem to be able to resolve domain names so we have been using the raw IP
    address in the CVSROOT which creates problems if the IP address ever
    changes (which it just did). If Cygwin could look up a domain name things
    would be much more robust. Cygwin doesn't seem to be able to use a
    /etc/hosts file either which would have been a second best option.

  2. Re: What's the Cygwin equiv of /etc/resolve.conf?

    On Mon, 08 May 2006 20:55:50 -0400, General Schvantzkoph
    wrote:

    >How do you get Cygwin to do a domain name lookup? I have a Linux cvs
    >server that my partner needs to access from Cygwin via ssh. Cygwin doesn't
    >seem to be able to resolve domain names so we have been using the raw IP
    >address in the CVSROOT which creates problems if the IP address ever
    >changes (which it just did). If Cygwin could look up a domain name things
    >would be much more robust. Cygwin doesn't seem to be able to use a
    >/etc/hosts file either which would have been a second best option.

    Doesn't cygwin use Windows' DNS settings? I don't know if I've seen
    that documented, but I've always installed cygwin without any
    attention to any separate DNS configuration, and it seems to be able
    to resolve domain names when and only when Windows can.

  3. Re: What's the Cygwin equiv of /etc/resolve.conf?

    On Mon, 08 May 2006 20:55:50 -0400, General Schvantzkoph wrote:

    > How do you get Cygwin to do a domain name lookup? I have a Linux cvs
    > server that my partner needs to access from Cygwin via ssh. Cygwin doesn't
    > seem to be able to resolve domain names so we have been using the raw IP
    > address in the CVSROOT which creates problems if the IP address ever
    > changes (which it just did). If Cygwin could look up a domain name things
    > would be much more robust. Cygwin doesn't seem to be able to use a
    > /etc/hosts file either which would have been a second best option.

    It turns out my Windows networking was screwed up. I don't use Windows
    much, the only time I boot it is if I have to figure out how to use
    something so I can help some poor unfortunate who is stuck on a Windows
    platform. I'd changed my DNS server and hadn't updated my Windows setup to
    point to the new machine.

+ Reply to Thread