I am a newbie to the device driver developement in Linux. I am using
Redhat9( linux kernel 2.4.20). I hav written a driver for Realtek
rtl8139D network card. I am able to activate the device by following
command.

# ifconfig rtl up

However i am setting IP address of network interface 'rtl' outside the
code by using # ifconfig rtl 192.168.0.30 -netmask 255.255.255.0

After this, when i ping a host, driver saying transmission of ICMP
packet was successful which I checked by TransmissionOK bit in
Interrupt Status Register of device( which prints text "TxOk" for
successfull transmission in interrupt handler) and also incrementing
transmitted packets counter in interrupt handler. But it is giving
error "DESTINATION HOST UNREACHABLE" as follows

# ping 192.168.0.70
icmp packet 1: DESTINATION HOST UNREACHABLE
TxOk
icmp packet 2: DESTINATION HOST UNREACHABLE
TxOk
and giving number of receiving packets counter is zero ( 100% loss in
PING)

as far as receiving code in interrupt handler is concerned, i think
interrupt handler is OK...
Plz point out the problem as i hav been struggling here since 10 days

is it recieving code problem? or setting ip address externally by
ifconfig command ? or any thing else?