sshd hosts.deny - Redhat

This is a discussion on sshd hosts.deny - Redhat ; Hi I am using /etc/hosts.deny to restrict access to my machine. My /etc/hosts.deny says ALL: ALL sshd: ALL My /etc/hosts.allow has a list of machines taht are allowed to access my machine via sshd. sshd : Machine IP I find ...

  1. sshd hosts.deny

    Hi

    I am using /etc/hosts.deny to restrict access to my machine. My
    /etc/hosts.deny says
    ALL: ALL
    sshd: ALL

    My /etc/hosts.allow has a list of machines taht are allowed to access
    my machine via sshd.
    sshd : Machine IP

    I find that I am able to log on from machines which are not in
    /etc/hosts.allow.

    I am not able to figure out what the problem could be - any help would
    be appreciated.

    I am running a Redhat AS release 4 with the 2.6.9 kernel.

    My sshd is compiled with libwrap - I checked by doing an ldd
    /usr/sbin/sshd and it shows up linked to /usr/lib64/libwrap.so.0

    Thanks
    Brinda

  2. Re: sshd hosts.deny

    brinda wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I am using /etc/hosts.deny to restrict access to my machine. My
    > /etc/hosts.deny says
    > ALL: ALL
    > sshd: ALL
    >
    > My /etc/hosts.allow has a list of machines taht are allowed to access
    > my machine via sshd.
    > sshd : Machine IP
    >
    > I find that I am able to log on from machines which are not in
    > /etc/hosts.allow.
    >
    > I am not able to figure out what the problem could be - any help would
    > be appreciated.
    >
    > I am running a Redhat AS release 4 with the 2.6.9 kernel.
    >
    > My sshd is compiled with libwrap - I checked by doing an ldd
    > /usr/sbin/sshd and it shows up linked to /usr/lib64/libwrap.so.0
    >
    > Thanks
    > Brinda

    Brinda why use these two lines in /etc/hosts.deny
    ALL: ALL
    sshd: ALL

    I would try only
    ALL: ALL