Printing via CUPS - Redhat

This is a discussion on Printing via CUPS - Redhat ; Any clues as to what I might be doing wrong? I'm running CUPS trying to get an OKI okipage 6w to run; CUPS is identifying the .ppd with no difficulty, and it's running straight to the device at /dev/lp0. I ...

  1. Printing via CUPS

    Any clues as to what I might be doing wrong?

    I'm running CUPS trying to get an OKI okipage 6w to run; CUPS is
    identifying the .ppd with no difficulty, and it's running straight to
    the device at /dev/lp0. I might as well be sending jobs to /dev/null
    for all the results I get.

    This is what CUPS currently has to say, so it can obviously see the printer:

    Location:
    Printer State: idle, accepting jobs.
    "Ready to print."
    Device URI: parallel:/dev/lp0

    What annoys me is that I've actually had it running before, but
    forgotten how I managed to do it. I've tried all the printing-how-to
    pages, with no joy.

    Has anyone got any suggestions?

    Thanks in advance,

    Paul

  2. Re: Printing via CUPS

    Paul Morris wrote:
    > Any clues as to what I might be doing wrong?
    >
    > I'm running CUPS trying to get an OKI okipage 6w to run; CUPS is
    > identifying the .ppd with no difficulty, and it's running straight to
    > the device at /dev/lp0. I might as well be sending jobs to /dev/null
    > for all the results I get.
    >
    > This is what CUPS currently has to say, so it can obviously see the
    > printer:

    > Location:
    > Printer State: idle, accepting jobs.
    > "Ready to print."
    > Device URI: parallel:/dev/lp0
    >
    > What annoys me is that I've actually had it running before, but
    > forgotten how I managed to do it. I've tried all the printing-how-to
    > pages, with no joy.
    >
    > Has anyone got any suggestions?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > Paul

    Paul,

    Give us little info about your environment:

    -Linux Distro + version
    -CUPS version
    -CUPS managementool (for example: printtool)
    -error log output if any.

    Do we have to understand that you do not get any output?
    Sending jobs to /dev/null is a confusing remark, some Unix printing
    mechanisms do use /dev/null (I do not know why, but they use it)

    Kind regards,

    Jan Gerrit Kootstra RHCE

  3. Re: Printing via CUPS

    Thank you, Jan, for mentioning the magic word, "printtool." Although I
    was unable to get CUPS up and running with the Oki laser printer, PDQ
    solved all my immediate problems.... One of these days when I have
    time, I'll attempt to find out why. It's so easy with the HP
    deskjet :-)

    Thanks for the quick response!

    Regards,

    Paul

  4. Re: Printing via CUPS

    On Mon, 01 May 2006 10:27:17 +0200, Jan Gerrit Kootstra
    wrote:

    >Do we have to understand that you do not get any output?
    >Sending jobs to /dev/null is a confusing remark, some Unix printing
    >mechanisms do use /dev/null (I do not know why, but they use it)

    Hi,

    the spooler needs a device name in configuration even if it is a
    dummy.
    Drivers for network attached devices uses them very often but search
    the real "printer path" in other configuration files.
    But the spooler checks this device for existence, so it's better to
    use /dev/null than /dev/lp0.
    With lp0 the user might expect to get the output to this port.

    Regards,
    Stefan

+ Reply to Thread