Fedora Core 5 + Nvidia driver - Redhat

This is a discussion on Fedora Core 5 + Nvidia driver - Redhat ; I have a Dell Inspiron 8200 with a nVidia video card. I upgraded to FC5, which seems to be having lots of trouble with the 8756 driver. Reading over at the nVidia forums, I found I was supposed to install ...

  1. Fedora Core 5 + Nvidia driver

    I have a Dell Inspiron 8200 with a nVidia video card. I upgraded to
    FC5, which seems to be having lots of trouble with the 8756 driver.

    Reading over at the nVidia forums, I found I was supposed to install
    both the kernel source (which I already had done) and the
    xorg-xll-server-sdk (which I had not done). I did installed the sdk,
    and compiled the driver, which then seemed to succeed.

    However, I can only launch X by being logged in (or su'ed) as root.
    Selinux is disabled on my system. I'm as updated as yum allows. If I
    try to run it as a normal user, it just crashes back to the terminal
    mode. Do I maybe have to change permissions on some file?

    Gwen

  2. Re: Fedora Core 5 + Nvidia driver

    On Sun, 30 Apr 2006 21:13:42 -0400, Gwen Morse
    wrote:

    >I have a Dell Inspiron 8200 with a nVidia video card. I upgraded to
    >FC5, which seems to be having lots of trouble with the 8756 driver.
    >
    >Reading over at the nVidia forums, I found I was supposed to install
    >both the kernel source (which I already had done) and the
    >xorg-xll-server-sdk (which I had not done). I did installed the sdk,
    >and compiled the driver, which then seemed to succeed.
    >
    >However, I can only launch X by being logged in (or su'ed) as root.
    >Selinux is disabled on my system. I'm as updated as yum allows. If I
    >try to run it as a normal user, it just crashes back to the terminal
    >mode. Do I maybe have to change permissions on some file?
    >
    >Gwen

    WFM, FWIW. I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that I
    edited /etc/X11/xorg.conf to use the NVidia gart driver instead of the
    regular one, i.e.

    Section "Device"
    Identifier "Videocard0"
    Driver "nvidia"
    VendorName "Videocard vendor"
    BoardName "NVIDIA GeForce 4 MX (generic)"
    # Option "NvAgp" "0" # disables AGP support
    Option "NvAgp" "1" # use NVAGP, if possible
    # Option "NvAgp" "2" # use AGPGART, if possible
    # Option "NvAGP" "3" # try AGPGART; if that fails, try NVAGP
    EndSection

    I'm reluctant to switch back and check, because when I was using the
    default setting the machine was apparently going sponaneously into
    "standby" mode every time X started, and then not responding to any
    input until a reset or power cycle, and I'm not entirely confident
    that a problem like that doesn't have a risk of hard disk damage or
    filesystem corruption associated with it.

    But if that doesn't fix it, is there anything potentially interesting
    in /var/log/Xorg.0.log?

  3. Re: Fedora Core 5 + Nvidia driver

    On Mon, 01 May 2006 04:25:44 -0400, Some Other Somebody Else
    wrote:

    >On Sun, 30 Apr 2006 21:13:42 -0400, Gwen Morse
    > wrote:

    >>However, I can only launch X by being logged in (or su'ed) as root.
    >>Selinux is disabled on my system. I'm as updated as yum allows. If I
    >>try to run it as a normal user, it just crashes back to the terminal
    >>mode. Do I maybe have to change permissions on some file?
    >>

    >But if that doesn't fix it, is there anything potentially interesting
    >in /var/log/Xorg.0.log?

    Here are the same sections of the log entry as my non-root daily
    user, and as root. This is the tail end of both logs (so nothing
    appears after them)...

    This is the bit where it dies when I'm logged in as my normal user:
    (--) Synaptics touchpad found
    (**) Option "AlwaysCore"
    (**) Synaptics: always reports core events
    (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Synaptics" (type: MOUSE)
    (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Keyboard0" (type: KEYBOARD)
    (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Mouse0" (type: MOUSE)
    (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "NVIDIA Event Handler"
    (type: Other)
    Synaptics DeviceInit called
    SynapticsCtrl called.
    (II) Mouse0: ps2EnableDataReporting: succeeded
    Synaptics DeviceOn called
    (--) Synaptics auto-dev sets device to /dev/input/event2
    (**) Option "Device" "/dev/input/event2"
    (--) Synaptics touchpad found
    Synaptics DeviceOff called
    FreeFontPath: FPE "unix/:7100" refcount is 2, should be 1; fixing.

    Here's the same section of the log file when I'm root (and X opens)"
    (--) Synaptics touchpad found
    (**) Option "AlwaysCore"
    (**) Synaptics: always reports core events
    (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Synaptics" (type: MOUSE)
    (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Keyboard0" (type: KEYBOARD)
    (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Mouse0" (type: MOUSE)
    (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "NVIDIA Event Handler"
    (type: Other)
    Synaptics DeviceInit called
    SynapticsCtrl called.
    (II) Mouse0: ps2EnableDataReporting: succeeded
    Synaptics DeviceOn called
    (--) Synaptics auto-dev sets device to /dev/input/event2
    (**) Option "Device" "/dev/input/event2"
    (--) Synaptics touchpad found

  4. Re: Fedora Core 5 + Nvidia driver

    "Some Other Somebody Else"
    wrote in
    message news:7pgb52pnn831ck2kgjarmffi43143360if@4ax.com...
    > On Sun, 30 Apr 2006 21:13:42 -0400, Gwen Morse
    > wrote:
    >
    >>I have a Dell Inspiron 8200 with a nVidia video card. I upgraded to
    >>FC5, which seems to be having lots of trouble with the 8756 driver.
    >>
    >>Reading over at the nVidia forums, I found I was supposed to install
    >>both the kernel source (which I already had done) and the
    >>xorg-xll-server-sdk (which I had not done). I did installed the sdk,
    >>and compiled the driver, which then seemed to succeed.
    >>
    >>However, I can only launch X by being logged in (or su'ed) as root.
    >>Selinux is disabled on my system. I'm as updated as yum allows. If I
    >>try to run it as a normal user, it just crashes back to the terminal
    >>mode. Do I maybe have to change permissions on some file?
    >>
    >>Gwen

    > WFM, FWIW. I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that I
    > edited /etc/X11/xorg.conf to use the NVidia gart driver instead of the
    > regular one, i.e.
    >
    > Section "Device"
    > Identifier "Videocard0"
    > Driver "nvidia"
    > VendorName "Videocard vendor"
    > BoardName "NVIDIA GeForce 4 MX (generic)"
    > # Option "NvAgp" "0" # disables AGP support
    > Option "NvAgp" "1" # use NVAGP, if possible
    > # Option "NvAgp" "2" # use AGPGART, if possible
    > # Option "NvAGP" "3" # try AGPGART; if that fails, try NVAGP
    > EndSection
    >
    > I'm reluctant to switch back and check, because when I was using the
    > default setting the machine was apparently going sponaneously into
    > "standby" mode every time X started, and then not responding to any
    > input until a reset or power cycle, and I'm not entirely confident
    > that a problem like that doesn't have a risk of hard disk damage or
    > filesystem corruption associated with it.
    >
    > But if that doesn't fix it, is there anything potentially interesting
    > in /var/log/Xorg.0.log?

    There could be a number of issues that could be causing the problem ,
    firstly ,have you edited the
    /etc/X11/xorg.conf as found in their readme file ?
    Here is the nVidia readme file

    http://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/L...hapter-03.html

    If you are not confident in changing the xorg.conf file , make a copy of it
    first as a backup and if things go wrong you will have a copy of your
    original xorg.conf file.

    With the last entries in your /etc/X11/xorg.conf , you don't need them , as
    stated , they are options , and from memory the default option is "NvAGP"
    "3"
    Also have you remove the entries in the module section of
    Load "dri"
    Load "GLCore"And replaced it with :
    Load "glx"Also have a read of this forum thread about permissions on nVidia
    video cards , it's for FC3 , but I think it still applies to FC5
    I had a similar problem with my video driver a while back with permissions
    for users.

    Linux Questions forum : nVidia Permissions Error After Fix
    http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...d.php?t=269275

    The Linux Questions web site is a good forum to read and to ask questions.
    http://www.linuxquestions.org/

    True Multitasking is having three computers and a chair with wheels.

    Sandgroper
    ------------------------------------
    Remove KNICKERS to Email
    steveray@KNICKERSiinet.net.au

  5. Re: Fedora Core 5 + Nvidia driver

    On Mon, 1 May 2006 23:07:14 +0800, "Sandgroper"
    wrote:

    >[...]There could be a number of issues that could be causing the problem ,
    >firstly ,have you edited the
    >/etc/X11/xorg.conf as found in their readme file ?
    >Here is the nVidia readme file
    >
    >http://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/L...hapter-03.html
    >
    >If you are not confident in changing the xorg.conf file , make a copy of it
    >first as a backup and if things go wrong you will have a copy of your
    >original xorg.conf file.
    >

    >With the last entries in your /etc/X11/xorg.conf , you don't need them , as
    >stated , they are options , and from memory the default option is "NvAGP"
    >"3"
    >Also have you remove the entries in the module section of
    > Load "dri"
    > Load "GLCore"And replaced it with :
    > Load "glx"Also have a read of this forum thread about permissions on nVidia
    >video cards , it's for FC3 , but I think it still applies to FC5
    >I had a similar problem with my video driver a while back with permissions
    >for users.
    >
    >Linux Questions forum : nVidia Permissions Error After Fix
    >http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...d.php?t=269275
    >
    >The Linux Questions web site is a good forum to read and to ask questions.
    >http://www.linuxquestions.org/

    I think you got something confused here - my system is working fine,
    and IIUC the one that isn't won't start X at all; there isn't any
    issue here specific to GL apps.

  6. Re: Fedora Core 5 + Nvidia driver

    On Mon, 01 May 2006 10:58:52 -0400, Gwen Morse
    wrote:

    >[...] Here are the same sections of the log entry as my non-root daily
    >user, and as root. This is the tail end of both logs (so nothing
    >appears after them)...

    Well, if there is anything there, I don't recognize it, but...

    ** One of the things that can crash an X session when the X server
    itself is working is having files in /tmp or the home directory
    associated with a particular user that have the wrong permissions. If
    you create a temporary test user ID, can it start an X session? Does
    runlevel 5 with a display manager like gdm work? If the display
    manager works, does logging in with the user ID that can't start X
    from the console work from the display manager?

    ** Is the problem definitely NVidia-driver-specific? If you revert to
    the non-accelerated "nv" driver, can the same user ID open an X
    session again?

    ** Another thing that might create permission-related problems would
    be if the Xorg server binary itself did not have the suid bit set, as
    it does by default in Fedora, i.e.

    # ls -l /usr/bin/Xorg
    -rws--x--x 1 root root 1843088 Apr 9 12:38 /usr/bin/Xorg

    and if the permissions don't match that,

    # chmod 4711 /usr/bin/Xorg

  7. Re: Fedora Core 5 + Nvidia driver

    On Mon, 01 May 2006 13:22:26 -0400, Some Other Somebody Else
    wrote:

    >On Mon, 1 May 2006 23:07:14 +0800, "Sandgroper"
    > wrote:
    >
    >>[...]There could be a number of issues that could be causing the problem ,
    >>firstly ,have you edited the
    >>/etc/X11/xorg.conf as found in their readme file ?

    Incidentally, there is an easier way to go about that now. The NVidia
    driver installer has an automatic config file modifier. I used that
    with mine, which, as I said, is not the one having problems at this
    point. I don't know if that has anything to do with this particular
    situation, but just in case it comes up....

  8. Re: Fedora Core 5 + Nvidia driver

    wrote:

    >"Some Other Somebody Else"
    > wrote in
    >message news:7pgb52pnn831ck2kgjarmffi43143360if@4ax.com...
    >> On Sun, 30 Apr 2006 21:13:42 -0400, Gwen Morse
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I have a Dell Inspiron 8200 with a nVidia video card. I upgraded to
    >>>FC5, which seems to be having lots of trouble with the 8756 driver.
    >>>
    >>>However, I can only launch X by being logged in (or su'ed) as root.
    >>>Selinux is disabled on my system. I'm as updated as yum allows. If I
    >>>try to run it as a normal user, it just crashes back to the terminal
    >>>mode. Do I maybe have to change permissions on some file?
    >>>
    >>>Gwen

    >> WFM, FWIW. I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that I
    >> edited /etc/X11/xorg.conf to use the NVidia gart driver instead of the
    >> regular one, i.e.
    >>
    >> Section "Device"
    >> Identifier "Videocard0"
    >> Driver "nvidia"
    >> VendorName "Videocard vendor"
    >> BoardName "NVIDIA GeForce 4 MX (generic)"
    >> # Option "NvAgp" "0" # disables AGP support
    >> Option "NvAgp" "1" # use NVAGP, if possible
    >> # Option "NvAgp" "2" # use AGPGART, if possible
    >> # Option "NvAGP" "3" # try AGPGART; if that fails, try NVAGP
    >> EndSection

    There is no NvAgp option in my xorg.conf file. Could this be a
    problem, right there?

    >> But if that doesn't fix it, is there anything potentially interesting
    >> in /var/log/Xorg.0.log?

    This is the tail end of the Xorg.0.log file when I'm logged in as my
    normal user.

    (--) Synaptics touchpad found
    (**) Option "AlwaysCore"
    (**) Synaptics: always reports core events
    (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Synaptics" (type: MOUSE)
    (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Keyboard0" (type: KEYBOARD)
    (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Mouse0" (type: MOUSE)
    (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "NVIDIA Event Handler"
    (type: Other)
    Synaptics DeviceInit called
    SynapticsCtrl called.
    (II) Mouse0: ps2EnableDataReporting: succeeded
    Synaptics DeviceOn called
    (--) Synaptics auto-dev sets device to /dev/input/event2
    (**) Option "Device" "/dev/input/event2"
    (--) Synaptics touchpad found
    Synaptics DeviceOff called
    FreeFontPath: FPE "unix/:7100" refcount is 2, should be 1; fixing.

    >There could be a number of issues that could be causing the problem ,
    >firstly ,have you edited the
    >/etc/X11/xorg.conf as found in their readme file ?
    >Here is the nVidia readme file
    >
    >http://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/L...hapter-03.html
    >
    >If you are not confident in changing the xorg.conf file , make a copy of it
    >first as a backup and if things go wrong you will have a copy of your
    >original xorg.conf file.
    >

    >With the last entries in your /etc/X11/xorg.conf , you don't need them , as
    >stated , they are options , and from memory the default option is "NvAGP"
    >"3"
    >Also have you remove the entries in the module section of
    > Load "dri"
    > Load "GLCore"And replaced it with :
    > Load "glx"Also have a read of this forum thread about permissions on nVidia
    >video cards , it's for FC3 , but I think it still applies to FC5
    >I had a similar problem with my video driver a while back with permissions
    >for users

    I have made sure that /user/bin/Xorg has the correct permissions.

    [msPiggy 5] X11 > ls -l /usr/bin/Xorg
    -rws--x--x 1 root root 1.8M Apr 9 12:38 /usr/bin/Xorg*

    >Linux Questions forum : nVidia Permissions Error After Fix
    >http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...d.php?t=269275

    I went through and tried some of the fixes, but, nothing seems to have
    worked.

    One clue may be that ls -l /dev/nvidiactl does not have execuable
    permissions, and when I add them as root, and exit out of root and
    then go back in as root (to check if they've stayed), the executable
    permissions are gone again.

    Gwen

    --
    When love is gone, there's always justice.
    And when justice is gone, there's always force.

  9. Re: Fedora Core 5 + Nvidia driver

    On Mon, 08 May 2006 13:51:27 -0400, Gwen Morse
    wrote:

    >[...] There is no NvAgp option in my xorg.conf file. Could this be a
    >problem, right there?

    Mine didn't to begin with. I was fishing around for some kludge to
    stop X from locking up, and I found that option listed for a
    completely different purpose somewhere on the nvidia.com web site, so
    I copied and pasted it, just to see what would happen, and it worked.

    >[...]One clue may be that ls -l /dev/nvidiactl does not have execuable
    >permissions, and when I add them as root, and exit out of root and
    >then go back in as root (to check if they've stayed), the executable
    >permissions are gone again.
    >
    >Gwen

    In my obviously other-than-expert opinion, that would be another bark
    up the wrong tree. my /dev/nvidiactl doesn't have executable
    permissions either - it has "crw-------" and I don't have any trouble
    starting X sessions.

    Seeing as nothing else has cropped up for so long, did you try some of
    the things I suggested, like determining whether a newly-created test
    user ID could start an X session, or whether display managers like kdm
    or gdm could open sessions for non-root users? No guarantees of
    course, but when something that is working for virtually everyone
    isn't working for you, sometimes the problem is some odd improbable
    fluke that an expert would rarely think to suggest.

  10. Re: Fedora Core 5 + Nvidia driver

    I should probably clarify at least one more thing in case it isn't
    already clear: I don't have the same hardware you apparently do; this
    is a a hand-built system with parts of various brands from various
    sources. I don't know if that matters, but I have recently bumped
    into a few reminders of how computer hardware and software don't
    always work just like the black-box abstractions described by their
    documentation. The basic NVidia installation procedure normally works
    with no need to edit configuration files or anything like that, but of
    course no development team can be sure of taking all possible
    variations into account. So it could be that, as far as that goes,
    you already did eveything right - in theory.

    On this system, where FC5 seems to work fine with the NVidia driver, I
    initially had Fedora automatically configure X with the
    non-accelerated nv driver, then edited the file to get the resolution
    modes I wanted, and then after that had the NVidia installer make its
    automatic changes. This worked fine until I switched some parts
    around; then X started locking up the system, but adding 'Option
    "NvAgp" "1"' to xorg.conf somehow got it working again. On the other
    side of a kvm switch from here, an FC5 system with no proprietary
    NVidia software was unable (last I checked, anyway) load certain web
    sites in Mozilla or Firefox without locking up unless ACPI was
    switched off in the BIOS.

    IOW, the answer could be right under your nose, or it could be down a
    crack in a sofa somewhere.

  11. Re: Fedora Core 5 + Nvidia driver

    On Tue, 09 May 2006 00:58:35 -0400, Some Other Somebody Else
    wrote:

    >On Mon, 08 May 2006 13:51:27 -0400, Gwen Morse
    > wrote:
    >
    >>[...] There is no NvAgp option in my xorg.conf file. Could this be a
    >>problem, right there?

    I added the NvAgp option and it didn't change anything.

    >Seeing as nothing else has cropped up for so long, did you try some of
    >the things I suggested, like determining whether a newly-created test
    >user ID could start an X session, or whether display managers like kdm
    >or gdm could open sessions for non-root users? No guarantees of
    >course, but when something that is working for virtually everyone
    >isn't working for you, sometimes the problem is some odd improbable
    >fluke that an expert would rarely think to suggest.

    I created a test login, and the test login can startx, as well as
    root. So, it's pretty clearly something wrong with my primary non-root
    login.

    However, kdm doesn't start automatically, either, and I can't seem to
    get it to start from the command line. That may be a secondary issue,
    or, it may be fixed when whatever is holding my non-root login is
    fixed.

    Gwen

  12. Re: Fedora Core 5 + Nvidia driver

    On Sun, 14 May 2006 14:46:10 -0400, Gwen Morse
    wrote:

    >[...] I created a test login, and the test login can startx, as well as
    >root. So, it's pretty clearly something wrong with my primary non-root
    >login.
    >
    >However, kdm doesn't start automatically, either, and I can't seem to
    >get it to start from the command line. That may be a secondary issue,
    >or, it may be fixed when whatever is holding my non-root login is
    >fixed.
    >
    >Gwen

    What happens you do this?

    [log in as root]
    # init 3
    # ls -al /tmp
    [move everything listed with your primary non-root login either as
    part of the name or as the owner out of /tmp into a temporary
    directory]
    [log in as non-root user]
    $ startx

+ Reply to Thread