Netbeans on FC4 for "all users"? - Redhat

This is a discussion on Netbeans on FC4 for "all users"? - Redhat ; Is there some way to install one version of Netbeans (that can be updated from a central login, such as root or even a Netbeans user) that "all users" can then use? I installed Netbeans as root on my FC4 ...

  1. Netbeans on FC4 for "all users"?

    Is there some way to install one version of Netbeans (that can be
    updated from a central login, such as root or even a Netbeans user)
    that "all users" can then use?

    I installed Netbeans as root on my FC4 laptop and then ran it as my
    main user. I had to immediately reinstall all the updates in the
    user's home directory. This uses 'home' space I'd rather not dedicate
    to Netbeans, itself. Particularly since root had the same updated
    version.

    Gwen

  2. Re: Netbeans on FC4 for "all users"?

    On Tue, 25 Apr 2006 20:09:09 -0400, Gwen Morse
    wrote:

    >Is there some way to install one version of Netbeans (that can be
    >updated from a central login, such as root or even a Netbeans user)
    >that "all users" can then use?
    >
    >I installed Netbeans as root on my FC4 laptop and then ran it as my
    >main user. I had to immediately reinstall all the updates in the
    >user's home directory. This uses 'home' space I'd rather not dedicate
    >to Netbeans, itself. Particularly since root had the same updated
    >version.
    >
    >Gwen

    How did you install it? I hope I'm not being thick here, but I just
    recently ran netbeans-5_0-linux.bin as root, and the application was
    automatically installed in /opt/netbeans-5.0 and its subdirectories,
    after which it was automatically available under my non-root user
    account (although my configuration settings had to be migrated from
    ~/.netbeans/4.1 to ~/.netbeans/5.0).

  3. Re: Netbeans on FC4 for "all users"?

    Offhand, it occurs to me that maybe I should mention something else:
    Before I installed 5.0, I uninstalled 4.1, and then afterward (also as
    root) I ran the command "update-desktop-database" (so the icon that
    appeared in the desktop start menu was the one pointing to the new
    version - it's an orange icon, whereas the one for 4.1 is blue). If
    the old version was still there, and you inadvertently ran it instead
    of the new one, either with a command or an icon....

  4. Re: Netbeans on FC4 for "all users"?

    On Tue, 25 Apr 2006 23:43:42 -0400, Some Other Somebody Else
    wrote:

    >On Tue, 25 Apr 2006 20:09:09 -0400, Gwen Morse
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Is there some way to install one version of Netbeans (that can be
    >>updated from a central login, such as root or even a Netbeans user)
    >>that "all users" can then use?
    >>
    >>I installed Netbeans as root on my FC4 laptop and then ran it as my
    >>main user. I had to immediately reinstall all the updates in the
    >>user's home directory. This uses 'home' space I'd rather not dedicate
    >>to Netbeans, itself. Particularly since root had the same updated
    >>version.
    >>
    >>Gwen

    >How did you install it? I hope I'm not being thick here, but I just
    >recently ran netbeans-5_0-linux.bin as root, and the application was
    >automatically installed in /opt/netbeans-5.0 and its subdirectories,
    >after which it was automatically available under my non-root user
    >account (although my configuration settings had to be migrated from
    >~/.netbeans/4.1 to ~/.netbeans/5.0).

    I installed it as root. I think it was 4.1 as I have a blue icon, not
    orange. I installed it some time ago.

    Anyway, the program is available to other users on my machine.
    However, each user has to download the updates to the application for
    themselves. To repeat - the program is available to all users,
    however, each user only has a basic install with no 'updates'.

    I did first update it as root, so, it wasn't that I forgot to do that.

    Gwen

  5. Re: Netbeans on FC4 for "all users"?

    On Sun, 30 Apr 2006 21:01:23 -0400, Gwen Morse
    wrote:

    >[...]I installed it as root. I think it was 4.1 as I have a blue icon, not
    >orange. I installed it some time ago.
    >
    >Anyway, the program is available to other users on my machine.
    >However, each user has to download the updates to the application for
    >themselves. To repeat - the program is available to all users,
    >however, each user only has a basic install with no 'updates'.
    >
    >I did first update it as root, so, it wasn't that I forgot to do that.
    >
    >Gwen

    The available updates that are installed from the IDE itself? Using
    version 5.0, I get to a "view certificates and install modules" page
    with a "global" checkbox; when this is checked it installs the updates
    in the application installation directory instead of the user home
    directory. I didn't run NetBeans as root; I just temporarily changed
    the permissions of the installation directory during the update, and
    then it allowed that. I don't know whether version 4.1 works the same
    way though.

  6. Re: Netbeans on FC4 for "all users"?

    On Mon, 01 May 2006 02:46:54 -0400, Some Other Somebody Else
    wrote:

    >On Sun, 30 Apr 2006 21:01:23 -0400, Gwen Morse
    > wrote:
    >
    >The available updates that are installed from the IDE itself? Using

    Yah. Those updates .

    >version 5.0, I get to a "view certificates and install modules" page
    >with a "global" checkbox; when this is checked it installs the updates
    >in the application installation directory instead of the user home

    I'll check for this in 4.1, and/or update to version 5.0 by
    uninstalling the 4.1 and installing 5.0 as a new install.

    >directory. I didn't run NetBeans as root; I just temporarily changed
    >the permissions of the installation directory during the update, and
    >then it allowed that. I don't know whether version 4.1 works the same
    >way though.

    Thanks for the above information!

    Gwen

+ Reply to Thread