why is my smtp being blocked? - Redhat

This is a discussion on why is my smtp being blocked? - Redhat ; I've set up a Redhat box and have loaded Kerio MailServer on it. I don't know what I did, but (I know I did something) my smtp is no longer being allowed in. Or maybe it's not being forwarded onto ...

  1. why is my smtp being blocked?

    I've set up a Redhat box and have loaded Kerio MailServer on it. I don't
    know what I did, but (I know I did something) my smtp is no longer being
    allowed in. Or maybe it's not being forwarded onto Kerio.

    It was working for a short while, until I "tried to make things better".
    No, I don't know what specifically I did. (Go ahead and flame me, but help
    me too).

    I checked and I have the firewall turned off completely. I ran ethereal
    (I'm not an expert with this one), and it looks like packets for port 25 are
    hitting the box. But for some reason, Kerio doesn't see them.

    I tried a telnet to port 25 (from behind my firewall), and got in just fine.

    I looked at my router, and it say's it's forwarding the packets for port 25.
    My router (Netgear) however, doesn't have a real good log, so I can't really
    verify where it's forwarding them onto.

    Everything points to the fact that smtp packets are hitting the server, but
    the SW (Kerio) doesn't seem to see them.

    One more thing. If I send an e-mail from that box, to itself. It works.
    Sending outside works too.

    Thanks in advance for anyones help.

    Chris

  2. Re: why is my smtp being blocked?

    "testExpress" wrote in message

    > I've set up a Redhat box and have loaded Kerio MailServer on it. I
    > don't know what I did, but (I know I did something) my smtp is no
    > longer being allowed in. Or maybe it's not being forwarded onto
    > Kerio.
    >
    > It was working for a short while, until I "tried to make things
    > better". No, I don't know what specifically I did. (Go ahead and
    > flame me, but help me too).

    It would be better if you posted the exact error/success messages you're
    encountering, instead of all the arm-waving generalizations.

    > I checked and I have the firewall turned off completely.

    You state later that you have a Netgear firewall. How is it "turned off"?

    > I ran ethereal (I'm not an expert with this one), and it looks
    > like packets for port 25 are hitting the box.

    "Looks like" ... how? You should post a few ethereal output lines to support
    your claim.

    > I tried a telnet to port 25 (from behind my firewall), and got in
    > just fine.

    "Got in just fine" ... what does it mean? Post the telnet session details
    instead of colloquia.

    > I looked at my router, and it say's it's forwarding the packets for
    > port 25. My router (Netgear) however, doesn't have a real good log,
    > so I can't really verify where it's forwarding them onto.

    "Looked at [your] router ... it say's [sic] it's forwarding the packets for
    port 25" ... how? Post the log file excerpts to support your claim. What
    sort of error messages are returned when you try to send mail to yourself
    from outside your domain, perhaps using a free email service or a friend?

    > Everything points to the fact that smtp packets are hitting the
    > server, but the SW (Kerio) doesn't seem to see them.
    >
    > One more thing. If I send an e-mail from that box, to itself. It
    > works. Sending outside works too.

    "Everything"?? You've provided no evidence that the mail server is even
    listening on port 25 on the network interface(s), only on the loopback
    interface 127.0.0.1. What are the results of (as root):

    netstat -anp | grep ":25"

    or:

    lsof -i :25

+ Reply to Thread