Java 5 on RHEL - Redhat

This is a discussion on Java 5 on RHEL - Redhat ; Hi all I have a normal installation of Red Hat Enterprise Linux with Java 1.4.* and Tomcat 5.0.*. I am developing with a framework that demands Java 5, otherwise it won't work (and even if it did performance would go ...

  1. Java 5 on RHEL

    Hi all

    I have a normal installation of Red Hat Enterprise Linux with Java
    1.4.* and Tomcat 5.0.*.
    I am developing with a framework that demands Java 5, otherwise it
    won't work (and even if it did performance would go
    down the drain).

    The thing is, I need to change the configuration of the system to use
    Java 5 (pre-installed) and to install Tomcat 5.5.
    I know it's possible to do this editing a some files, but I don't know
    which files.

    Can anyone help me do this? Is there a tool to do this? If I have to vi
    my way around the system, which files need to be
    edited?

    Thank you very much,

  2. Re: Java 5 on RHEL

    On 21 Apr 2006 02:54:31 -0700, rui.pacheco@gmail.com wrote:

    >Hi all
    >
    >I have a normal installation of Red Hat Enterprise Linux with Java
    >1.4.* and Tomcat 5.0.*.
    >I am developing with a framework that demands Java 5, otherwise it
    >won't work (and even if it did performance would go
    >down the drain).
    >
    >The thing is, I need to change the configuration of the system to use
    >Java 5 (pre-installed) and to install Tomcat 5.5.
    >I know it's possible to do this editing a some files, but I don't know
    >which files.
    >
    >Can anyone help me do this? Is there a tool to do this? If I have to vi
    >my way around the system, which files need to be
    >edited?
    >
    >Thank you very much,

    I think there were some messages posted here or in a similar group a
    while back that discussed manually changing the system configuration
    so a different Java version was used by default; a "google groups"
    search might turn up what you want if nobody reiterates here. I don't
    remember the details off the top of my head, and can't vouch for what
    was said since I didn't try it; I usually go to jpackage.org and get
    their "nosrc.rpm" file for the latest Sun Java. It works with the
    non-rpm Sun binary Java file the way a src.rpm file works with source
    code, except that you have to go to sun.com to download the Java
    binary separately. In other words, it automates the process of
    converting the Sun binary into a set of rpm files tailored to the
    system in use, by means of the "rpmbuild" command. That seems to work
    well on CentOS, which is supposed to be functionally equivalent to
    RHEL. I used that procedure when I wanted the latest JDK for NetBeans
    and Eclipse; it even creates a matching Mozilla Java plugin.

+ Reply to Thread