Booting into linux - Redhat

This is a discussion on Booting into linux - Redhat ; When I boot into linux, I get a message that the Boot sector and its backup don't match. I suspect that this may be because I ghosted an old drive onto a new, larger drive and then had to toggle ...

  1. Booting into linux

    When I boot into linux, I get a message that the Boot sector and its
    backup don't match. I suspect that this may be because I ghosted an
    old drive onto a new, larger drive and then had to toggle the new
    drive partition to be bootable.

    Is there any way to fix this? It signficantly slows down the time it
    takes me to boot into linux.

    Gwen

    --
    When love is gone, there's always justice.
    And when justice is gone, there's always force.

  2. Re: Booting into linux

    On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 15:47:24 -0400, Gwen Morse wrote:

    > When I boot into linux, I get a message that the Boot sector and its
    > backup don't match. I suspect that this may be because I ghosted an old
    > drive onto a new, larger drive and then had to toggle the new drive
    > partition to be bootable.
    >
    > Is there any way to fix this? It signficantly slows down the time it
    > takes me to boot into linux.
    >
    > Gwen

    That depends on which boot loader you're using (lilo, grub?). I suspect
    simply re-writing the boot sector would repair it.

  3. Re: Booting into linux

    "Gwen Morse" wrote in message
    > When I boot into linux, I get a message that the Boot sector and its
    > backup don't match. I suspect that this may be because I ghosted an
    > old drive onto a new, larger drive and then had to toggle the new
    > drive partition to be bootable.
    >
    > Is there any way to fix this? It signficantly slows down the time it
    > takes me to boot into linux.

    If you are running grub as the bootloader then you can re-check and also
    re-install grub by using these commands
    /sbin/grub-install -- recheck /dev/hd [ boot disk ]
    /sbin/grub-install /dev/hd [boot disk ]

    --
    ------------------------------------
    True Multitasking is having three computers and a chair with wheels.

    Sandgroper
    ------------------------------------
    Remove KNICKERS to Email
    steveray@KNICKERSiinet.net.au

  4. Re: Booting into linux

    On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 20:36:15 +0800, "Sandgroper"
    wrote:

    >"Gwen Morse" wrote in message
    >> When I boot into linux, I get a message that the Boot sector and its
    >> backup don't match. I suspect that this may be because I ghosted an
    >> old drive onto a new, larger drive and then had to toggle the new
    >> drive partition to be bootable.
    >>
    >> Is there any way to fix this? It signficantly slows down the time it
    >> takes me to boot into linux.
    >>

    >If you are running grub as the bootloader then you can re-check and also
    >re-install grub by using these commands
    >/sbin/grub-install -- recheck /dev/hd [ boot disk ]
    >/sbin/grub-install /dev/hd [boot disk ]

    I ran both these commands, but, I still get the same delay (and same
    error message) each time I boot into linux. Was there something more I
    needed to do to get the recheck/reinstall to actually stick?

    I'm running grub as my boot loader. I just upgraded to FC5 about 2
    days ago.

    Gwen

  5. Re: Booting into linux

    On Sun, 30 Apr 2006 21:03:04 -0400, Gwen Morse
    wrote:

    >On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 20:36:15 +0800, "Sandgroper"
    > wrote:
    >

    >>"Gwen Morse" wrote in message
    >>> When I boot into linux, I get a message that the Boot sector and its
    >>> backup don't match. I suspect that this may be because I ghosted an
    >>> old drive onto a new, larger drive and then had to toggle the new
    >>> drive partition to be bootable.
    >>>
    >>> Is there any way to fix this? It signficantly slows down the time it
    >>> takes me to boot into linux.
    >>>

    >>If you are running grub as the bootloader then you can re-check and also
    >>re-install grub by using these commands
    >>/sbin/grub-install -- recheck /dev/hd [ boot disk ]
    >>/sbin/grub-install /dev/hd [boot disk ]

    >I ran both these commands, but, I still get the same delay (and same
    >error message) each time I boot into linux. Was there something more I
    >needed to do to get the recheck/reinstall to actually stick?
    >
    >I'm running grub as my boot loader. I just upgraded to FC5 about 2
    >days ago.
    >
    >Gwen

    The only times I have seen that boot-sector-versus-backup message it
    has been in association with fsck.vfat. In any case, vfat or not, it
    sounds like something fsck-related rather than grub-related. Has fsck
    been run with repairs as applicable against all filesystems? And/or,
    does the associated partition table look right in fdisk?

+ Reply to Thread