Problems with Linux Red Hat 7.3 - Redhat

This is a discussion on Problems with Linux Red Hat 7.3 - Redhat ; I work at Arizona State University and we're having awful trouble installing Red Hat Linux 7.3 in one of our Dell computers for research. We run a MonteCarlo simulation based on GEANT3, and this only works on RHL 7.3 for ...

  1. Problems with Linux Red Hat 7.3

    I work at Arizona State University and we're having awful trouble
    installing Red Hat Linux 7.3 in one of our Dell computers for research.
    We run a MonteCarlo simulation based on GEANT3, and this only works on
    RHL 7.3 for unknown reasons.

    We have two other Dell computers that are slightly older (but they are
    pretty much the same thing) and 7.3 works just fine.

    The computer is brand new, just straight from the box, with the
    following specs:

    Dual 3.4 GHz processors, XEON IRWINDALE
    MOTHERBOARD, XEON PAXVILLE
    Dual in-line memory module, total of 4GB

    Basically, the installation runs flawlessly, but when the computer
    boots and Linux starts (where the system is putting all this green
    "OK"), the system gives an error:

    CPU 0: Machine check exception
    Kernel Panic
    In idle task: Not syncing

    Can anybody tell me if they've had trouble with this before, and if so,
    how to solve it? Our research is pretty much stopped until we solve
    this problem.

    Thank you.

  2. Re: Problems with Linux Red Hat 7.3

    "Carlos Hernandez" writes:
    >I work at Arizona State University and we're having awful trouble
    >installing Red Hat Linux 7.3 in one of our Dell computers for research.
    >We run a MonteCarlo simulation based on GEANT3, and this only works on
    >RHL 7.3 for unknown reasons.
    >
    >We have two other Dell computers that are slightly older (but they are
    >pretty much the same thing) and 7.3 works just fine.
    >
    >The computer is brand new, just straight from the box, with the
    >following specs:
    >
    >Dual 3.4 GHz processors, XEON IRWINDALE
    >MOTHERBOARD, XEON PAXVILLE
    >Dual in-line memory module, total of 4GB
    >
    >Basically, the installation runs flawlessly, but when the computer
    >boots and Linux starts (where the system is putting all this green
    >"OK"), the system gives an error:
    >
    >CPU 0: Machine check exception
    >Kernel Panic
    >In idle task: Not syncing
    >
    >Can anybody tell me if they've had trouble with this before, and if so,
    >how to solve it? Our research is pretty much stopped until we solve
    >this problem.

    Try swapping out the DIMM's. The most likely cause of a MCE is
    an uncorrected multibit memory error, or if you're not using ECC
    memory, a single-bit uncorrected memory error.

    scott

  3. Re: Problems with Linux Red Hat 7.3

    On Mon, 03 Apr 2006 15:18:35 -0700, Carlos Hernandez wrote:

    > I work at Arizona State University and we're having awful trouble
    > installing Red Hat Linux 7.3 in one of our Dell computers for research. We
    > run a MonteCarlo simulation based on GEANT3, and this only works on RHL
    > 7.3 for unknown reasons.
    >
    > We have two other Dell computers that are slightly older (but they are
    > pretty much the same thing) and 7.3 works just fine.
    >
    > The computer is brand new, just straight from the box, with the following
    > specs:
    >
    > Dual 3.4 GHz processors, XEON IRWINDALE MOTHERBOARD, XEON PAXVILLE
    > Dual in-line memory module, total of 4GB
    >
    > Basically, the installation runs flawlessly, but when the computer boots
    > and Linux starts (where the system is putting all this green "OK"), the
    > system gives an error:
    >
    > CPU 0: Machine check exception
    > Kernel Panic
    > In idle task: Not syncing
    >
    > Can anybody tell me if they've had trouble with this before, and if so,
    > how to solve it? Our research is pretty much stopped until we solve this
    > problem.
    >
    > Thank you.

    Have you tried booting with a non-SMP kernel? If that works the you might
    try compiling a recent 2.4 kernel. RH7 is an antique, it's not surprising
    that it's kernel can't handle a modern system.

    On another note, have you tried to run your simulation on something more
    recent? There are compatibility libraries that come with modern RH
    distributions like Fedora Core and RHEL (or the CentOS clones) that should
    make it possible to run a RH7 application on a modern OS. If you can't get
    it run a the most recent distros like FC4, FC5 or RHEL 4, you might want
    to try RHEL 3. It's a 2.4 based distro so it's a closer relative of RH7.3
    then the current versions. RHEL 3 is still supported so it should be able
    to run on a new machine.

+ Reply to Thread