FC5 Questions - Redhat

This is a discussion on FC5 Questions - Redhat ; I installed FC5 on the weekend. I removed Ubuntu to replace it with FC5 which I hoped to be better than FC4. Operation was extremmely slow so I tried to install the NVIDIA driver. It would not install, I got ...

  1. FC5 Questions

    I installed FC5 on the weekend. I removed Ubuntu to replace it with FC5
    which I hoped to be better than FC4.

    Operation was extremmely slow so I tried to install the NVIDIA driver.
    It would not install, I got errors in compile.

    I then installed the new kernel from livna to get the NVIDIA card to
    be recognized correctly. The default nv driver is useless.

    It first seemed to operate reasonably well. After a while I noticed that
    programs seem to take a bit long to load so I decided to run the system
    monitor. That brought the PC to a near halt. I thought that the PC
    had crashed until I noticed the solid red light of the disk activity.

    Keep in mind that it is an 1.8Ghz AMD64 with +512M of RAM.
    Firefox went into thin air shortly after the system monitor
    was loaded.

    I pressed on ctrl alt F2 to log on the console. It took quite a while.
    It eventually logged me in (very slowly).
    I did a kill to the system monitor and some sort of sanity came back.

    I went back to the graphic mode (alt F7) and ran glxgears to see
    how fast it ran. I could count one to two turns per seconds which
    is weird considering that under SuSE 10.0 it spins so fast that it
    is impossible to count. It did load the NVIDIA driver as I saw the
    usual NVIUDIA name appear shortly after I type the usual startx.

    Here is my system setup, (I have a few more comments at the end.)

    Disk /dev/hda: 200.0 GB, 200049647616 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 24321 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

    Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/hda1 1 1 8001 78 Unknown
    /dev/hda2 2 261 2088450 6 FAT16
    /dev/hda3 262 24321 193261950 f W95 Ext'd (LBA)
    /dev/hda5 262 266 40131 83 Linux
    /dev/hda6 * 267 271 40131 83 Linux
    /dev/hda7 272 398 1020096 82 Linux swap / Solaris
    /dev/hda8 399 10597 81923436 83 Linux
    /dev/hda9 10598 24321 110237998+ 83 Linux

    /dev/hda1 has xosl boot loader
    /dev/hda2 has PC DOS 7.0
    /dev/hda5 has the /boot partition for SuSE 9.3 64 bits (ext2)
    /dev/hda6 has the /boot partition for SuSE 10.0 32 bits (ext2)
    /dev/hda7 has the swap partition
    /dev/hda8 has the / partition for SuSE 10.0 32 bits (Reiserfs)
    /dev/hda9 has the / partition for SuSE 9.3 64 bits (Reiserfs)

    Disk /dev/hdb: 122.9 GB, 122942324736 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 14946 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

    Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/hdb1 * 1 795 6385806 7 HPFS/NTFS
    /dev/hdb2 796 14946 113667907+ f W95 Ext'd (LBA)
    /dev/hdb5 796 803 64228+ 83 Linux
    /dev/hdb6 804 811 64228+ 83 Linux
    /dev/hdb7 812 819 64228+ 83 Linux
    /dev/hdb8 820 4800 31977351 83 Linux
    /dev/hdb9 4801 8800 32129968+ 83 Linux
    /dev/hdb10 8801 14946 49367713+ 83 Linux

    /dev/hdb1 has Win XP French Canadian (NTFS)
    /dev/hdb5 has the /boot partition for SuSE 10.0 64 bits (ext2)
    /dev/hdb6 has the /boot partition for FC4 64 bits (ext2)
    /dev/hdb7 has the /boot partition for FC5 32 bits (ext2)
    /dev/hdb8 has the / partition for SuSE 10.0 64 bits (Reiserfs)
    /dev/hdb9 has the / partition for FC4 64 bits (Reiserfs)
    /dev/hdb10 has the / partition for FC5 32 bits (Reiserfs)

    Disk /dev/hdc: 80.0 GB, 80026361856 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 9729 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

    Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/hdc1 * 1 1 8001 78 Unknown
    /dev/hdc2 2 132 1052257+ 6 FAT16
    /dev/hdc3 133 387 2048287+ b W95 FAT32
    /dev/hdc4 388 9729 75039615 5 Extended
    /dev/hdc5 388 393 48163+ 83 Linux
    /dev/hdc6 394 3000 20940696 c W95 FAT32 (LBA)
    /dev/hdc7 3001 9729 54050661 83 Linux

    /dev/hdc1 has an unused xosl boot loader
    /dev/hdc2 has PC Dos 7.0
    /dev/hdc3 and /dev/hdc6 are Fat 32 partitions for Win XP
    /dev/hdc5 has the /boot partition for SuSE 9.3 32 bits (ext2)
    /dev/hdc7 has the / partition for SuSE 9.3 32 bits (Reiserfs)

    memory : 515.532 MB
    processor : AMD 64 1.8Ghz

    Selinux is disabled since it kept be from booting after the system
    was installed. To fix the problem I had to boot on SuSE and
    changed grub menu to disabled selinux. I was able to complete
    the installation after that.
    The reason I didn't want to use ext3 is that the last time I did
    that, when I would boot on SuSE with the ext3 partition in fstab
    the boot would fail and I had to go on a safe mode boot to
    comment the offending line in fstab so I could boot on SuSE.
    Since FC4 worked well with Reisefs I found it to be the only
    acceptable filesystem to use considering the bad experience
    with ext3.

    I have an install with most support for development. I use gnome.
    I was unable to unistall crap like gamin or mono as it wanted to
    uninstall most of gnome in the process.

    I have noticed on SuSE that the system's performance greatly improved
    after I uninstalled the useless mono stuff.
    It is my opinion that mono is far from being ready for prime time.

    Is there a special setup that needs to be done to get the system's
    performing and still keeping that stuff or is it normal for it
    to bring the system to it's knees? Or is there something else that
    is responsible for the downgrading of performances.
    I have no such issues with FC4 either with the 64 bits or the 32 bits
    FC4 install I had prior to my new SuSE 10.0
    I have a high speed line at comcast. They say that my bandwidth is
    5M. Yesterday I downloaded some data at 770k/secs on my OS/2 PC.
    The line is fast so even if mono was trying to download some crap
    it shouldn't be a problem.

    I have disabled most tasks to see if I get any improvment but without
    any serious result.

    It is unfortunate because I do like a lot the way FC5 looks like with the
    new gnome.

    One last question. What is the reason for mono to be a standard install
    and so glued to gnome? For those of us who do not want anything whatsoever
    to do with .net or other ****ware from Microsoft, it is more than an
    annoyance. If I need to access windows stuff I have a winxp to do it
    with. My Linux is for relaxing from work and from Microsoft and to
    do interesting personal work and not to access microsoft online crap.

    --
    Tired of Microsoft's rebootive multitasking?
    then it's time to upgrade to Linux.

  2. Re: FC5 Questions

    On Wed, 29 Mar 2006 23:27:28 -0500, Michel Catudal comcast.net> wrote:

    >I installed FC5 on the weekend. I removed Ubuntu to replace it with FC5
    >which I hoped to be better than FC4.
    >
    >Operation was extremmely slow so I tried to install the NVIDIA driver.
    >It would not install, I got errors in compile.
    >
    >[...]Is there a special setup that needs to be done to get the system's
    >performing and still keeping that stuff or is it normal for it
    >to bring the system to it's knees?

    I just recently installed FC5 on an old ThinkPad with a 700MHz P3 and
    500MB PC100 SDRAM, and although the installation was somewhat slow
    (took about 2 hours and change), and there was apparently no DRI
    support for that video chipset included, the overall system speed
    after installation seemed reasonable.

    Have you tried booting into runlevel 3 to see whether the slowness
    only occurs in association with X? Have you tried (at least
    temporarily) installing and starting KDE, and/or another window
    manager, to see if the extreme slowness is specific to gnome?

    Have you tried running "top" from a command line, either from runlevel
    3 or after ctrl-alt-f[1..6], to see what process might be hogging
    resources?

    >[...]One last question. What is the reason for mono to be a standard install
    >and so glued to gnome? For those of us who do not want anything whatsoever
    >to do with .net or other ****ware from Microsoft, it is more than an
    >annoyance. If I need to access windows stuff I have a winxp to do it
    >with. My Linux is for relaxing from work and from Microsoft and to
    >do interesting personal work and not to access microsoft online crap.

    That I don't know; I usually set up Linux to use KDE by default
    anyway....

  3. Re: FC5 Questions

    Le Sun, 02 Apr 2006 08:08:00 -0400, Some Other Somebody Else a √©crit¬*:

    > Have you tried booting into runlevel 3 to see whether the slowness
    > only occurs in association with X? Have you tried (at least
    > temporarily) installing and starting KDE, and/or another window
    > manager, to see if the extreme slowness is specific to gnome?

    I never boot in graphic mode, always at runlevel 3.
    It is slow with gnome. I haven't tried KDE which I have no interest in.
    I am comparing with SuSE where it is very fast and in FC5 it crawls.
    I have the NVIDIA driver for both.

    > Have you tried running "top" from a command line, either from runlevel
    > 3 or after ctrl-alt-f[1..6], to see what process might be hogging
    > resources?

    I'll do that.

    --
    Tired of Microsoft's rebootive multitasking?
    then it's time to upgrade to Linux.
    http://home.comcast.net/~mcatudal
    We are the Cybernetic Entomology Experts

  4. Re: FC5 Questions

    On Wed, 29 Mar 2006 23:27:28 -0500, Michel Catudal wrote:

    > I installed FC5 on the weekend. I removed Ubuntu to replace it with FC5
    > which I hoped to be better than FC4.
    >
    > Operation was extremmely slow so I tried to install the NVIDIA driver. It
    > would not install, I got errors in compile.
    >
    > I then installed the new kernel from livna to get the NVIDIA card to be
    > recognized correctly. The default nv driver is useless.

    Nvidia has released new drivers which are compatible with FC5, the old
    drivers weren't.

    As for you speed problems, do you have SELinux enable? If you do try
    disabling it and see if that helps. I haven't tried it with SELinux
    enabled but I read a review somewhere that said FC5 was slow with SELinux
    enabled. My system has SELinux disabled. I've found that FC5 is noticebly
    quicker then FC4.

    One more thing, you have a marginal amount of memory. I'd add a gigabyte
    to your box if I were you, it will make a big difference.

+ Reply to Thread