printing - Redhat

This is a discussion on printing - Redhat ; I just loaded fedora core 5. I have setup the local printer and that works. I am using the cups subsystem. My problem is that when I go to set it up on a remote system (my laptop on same ...

  1. printing

    I just loaded fedora core 5. I have setup the local printer and that
    works. I am using the cups subsystem. My problem is that when I go to
    set it up on a remote system (my laptop on same home network) I can't
    get it to print from laptop to core 5. I have tried all the combo's and
    the test print says it's sent and I see it on my laptop que but it
    never gets to the core5 box.
    I could use a pointer here since I am stuck from looking at it for to
    long.....

    Thanks

  2. Re: printing

    While stranded on the hard shoulder of the information super highway ppberns@hvc.rr.com typed:
    > I just loaded fedora core 5. I have setup the local printer and that
    > works. I am using the cups subsystem. My problem is that when I go to
    > set it up on a remote system (my laptop on same home network) I can't
    > get it to print from laptop to core 5. I have tried all the combo's and
    > the test print says it's sent and I see it on my laptop que but it
    > never gets to the core5 box.
    > I could use a pointer here since I am stuck from looking at it for to
    > long.....
    >
    > Thanks

    Assuming you are running Linux on your laptop, simply enter the i/p address
    of your server into /etc/cups/client.conf - use ServerName 192.168.0.1
    or whatever, wait a few seconds and your printer is setup. Just do an
    lpstat -t on your laptop and you should see the same output as lpstat -t
    on your server. You may need an Allow From 192.168.0.* in cups.conf on
    the server (in and/or
    Its all well explained in www.cups.org/doc-1.1/sam.html#CLIENT_MANUAL

    If you aren't running Linux on your laptop, samba is your friend...

    --
    Trog Woolley | trog at trogwoolley dot com
    (A Croweater back residing in Pommie Land with Linux)