Newbie has some basic questions getting started - please help - Redhat

This is a discussion on Newbie has some basic questions getting started - please help - Redhat ; Please help me out. I'm a Linux newbie. I managed to install Red Hat Fedora on a computer I have and I need to know several things that I can't figure out on my own. 1) How can I tell ...

  1. Newbie has some basic questions getting started - please help

    Please help me out. I'm a Linux newbie. I managed to install Red Hat Fedora
    on a computer I have and I need to know several things that I can't figure
    out on my own.

    1) How can I tell what version of Fedora Core I have? (does FC run on top
    of something else?)

    2) How do I look at my hard drive and see how much free space I have?

    3) How do I install and unistall programs?

    4) Can I upgrade say, for example from Fedora Core 2 to FC4 from within
    Linux ie: with the machine and OS up and running? If so how/what do I
    download from the internet (what extension on the file?)

    5) Where do I get Mythtv and how do I load it after I get FC4 running?

    Thank you so much. I am so tired of Windows but this is proving a bit much
    of a challenge.

  2. Re: Newbie has some basic questions getting started - please help

    ["Followup-To:" header set to alt.linux.redhat.]
    On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 07:43:54 GMT, PosterGuy wrote:
    > Please help me out. I'm a Linux newbie. I managed to install Red Hat Fedora
    > on a computer I have and I need to know several things that I can't figure
    > out on my own.
    >
    > 1) How can I tell what version of Fedora Core I have?

    cat /etc/*release*

    uname -a

    > (does FC run on top of something else?)

    linux kernel

    > 2) How do I look at my hard drive and see how much free space I have?

    df -v

    > 3) How do I install and unistall programs?

    depends on how application was packaged.

    > 4) Can I upgrade say, for example from Fedora Core 2 to FC4 from within
    > Linux ie: with the machine and OS up and running?

    Yes, only when you swap out kernel will you have to re-boot.

    > If so how/what do I
    > download from the internet (what extension on the file?)

    I always do a clean install into a new partition so I have a fallback
    in case of failure.

    Please bookmark the following, very large,
    Frequently Asked Questions (faq) Search engine:

    slrncf00j3.n1v.BitTwister@wb.home.invalid in Message Id box

    > 5) Where do I get Mythtv and how do I load it after I get FC4 running?
    >
    > Thank you so much. I am so tired of Windows but this is proving a bit much
    > of a challenge.

  3. Re: Newbie has some basic questions getting started - please help

    On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 07:43:54 +0000, PosterGuy wrote:

    > Please help me out. I'm a Linux newbie. I managed to install Red Hat Fedora
    > on a computer I have and I need to know several things that I can't figure
    > out on my own.
    >
    > 1) How can I tell what version of Fedora Core I have? (does FC run on top
    > of something else?)

    Open a terminal window. "uname -a" will give you a lot of info. You'll
    also find some files in /etc - probably with 'release' or 'version' or
    'distribution' or something similar in the name - 'cat' them. FC is a
    linux distribution. It does not 'run on top of' anything - it runs a linux
    kernel - which you'll identify with uname.

    > 2) How do I look at my hard drive and see how much free space I have?

    df

    > 3) How do I install and unistall programs?

    go to the start menu, system - 'install software'

    > 4) Can I upgrade say, for example from Fedora Core 2 to FC4 from within
    > Linux ie: with the machine and OS up and running? If so how/what do I
    > download from the internet (what extension on the file?)

    On most RPM (RedHat Package Management) systems (which includes also
    Mandrivel and SUSE) it is generally better to do a new install than
    attempt an upgrade - unless things have improved a lot in the last year or
    two. I've had much better luck upgrading Debian distributions, such as
    (K)Ubuntu.

    > 5) Where do I get Mythtv and how do I load it after I get FC4 running?
    >
    > Thank you so much. I am so tired of Windows but this is proving a bit much
    > of a challenge.

    In my experience, it's no more difficult, in many ways easier, but it is a
    bit different.

  4. Re: Newbie has some basic questions getting started - please help

    PosterGuy wrote:
    > Please help me out. I'm a Linux newbie. I managed to install Red Hat Fedora
    > on a computer I have and I need to know several things that I can't figure
    > out on my own.
    >
    > 1) How can I tell what version of Fedora Core I have? (does FC run on top
    > of something else?)

    rpm -q fedora-release
    > 2) How do I look at my hard drive and see how much free space I have?

    df of df -h
    > 3) How do I install and unistall programs?

    via yum or rpm, RTFM (read the fine manual) man yun, man rpm
    > 4) Can I upgrade say, for example from Fedora Core 2 to FC4 from within
    > Linux ie: with the machine and OS up and running? If so how/what do I
    > download from the internet (what extension on the file?)

    No, upgrade thru upgrade program(s) on CD or DVD

  5. Re: Newbie has some basic questions getting started - please help

    1. more /etc/*release* or just look at the grub menu on boot.

    2. df -lh or use kwikdisk

    3. e.g. yum install firefox

    4. No. Boot from the FC4 CD/DVD.

    5. Google for atrpms and/or mythtv. Follow the instructions on atrpms'
    web site.

    PosterGuy wrote:
    > Please help me out. I'm a Linux newbie. I managed to install Red Hat Fedora
    > on a computer I have and I need to know several things that I can't figure
    > out on my own.
    >
    > 1) How can I tell what version of Fedora Core I have? (does FC run on top
    > of something else?)
    >
    > 2) How do I look at my hard drive and see how much free space I have?
    >
    > 3) How do I install and unistall programs?
    >
    > 4) Can I upgrade say, for example from Fedora Core 2 to FC4 from within
    > Linux ie: with the machine and OS up and running? If so how/what do I
    > download from the internet (what extension on the file?)
    >
    > 5) Where do I get Mythtv and how do I load it after I get FC4 running?
    >
    > Thank you so much. I am so tired of Windows but this is proving a bit much
    > of a challenge.

  6. Re: Newbie has some basic questions getting started - please help

    PosterGuy wrote:
    > Please help me out. I'm a Linux newbie. I managed to install Red Hat Fedora
    > on a computer I have and I need to know several things that I can't figure
    > out on my own.
    >
    > 1) How can I tell what version of Fedora Core I have? (does FC run on top
    > of something else?)

    cat /etc/issue

    or

    cat /etc/redhat-release
    (not sure about this one, you can try to replace redhat with fedora)

    > 2) How do I look at my hard drive and see how much free space I have?

    df

    > 3) How do I install and unistall programs?

    Install:
    rpm -Uvh /path/to/package/to/install/pacakge.rpm

    Uninstall:
    rpm -e packagename
    (keep in mind that packagename and filename ain't the same thing!)

    > 4) Can I upgrade say, for example from Fedora Core 2 to FC4 from within
    > Linux ie: with the machine and OS up and running? If so how/what do I
    > download from the internet (what extension on the file?)

    In theory it would be just to use the fedora rpms and install those
    (extension: rpm), but I guess it's safer just to use the install CD setup and
    do an upgrade.

    > 5) Where do I get Mythtv and how do I load it after I get FC4 running?

    http://www.mythtv.org/modules.php?na...download&cid=1

    //Aho

  7. Re: Newbie has some basic questions getting started - please help THANK YOU !!!

    PosterGuy wrote in

    > Please help me out. I'm a Linux newbie. I managed to install Red Hat
    > Fedora on a computer I have and I need to know several things that I
    > can't figure out on my own.
    >
    > 1) How can I tell what version of Fedora Core I have? (does FC run on
    > top of something else?)
    >
    > 2) How do I look at my hard drive and see how much free space I have?
    >
    > 3) How do I install and unistall programs?
    >
    > 4) Can I upgrade say, for example from Fedora Core 2 to FC4 from
    > within Linux ie: with the machine and OS up and running? If so
    > how/what do I download from the internet (what extension on the file?)
    >
    > 5) Where do I get Mythtv and how do I load it after I get FC4 running?
    >
    > Thank you so much. I am so tired of Windows but this is proving a bit
    > much of a challenge.

    THANKS so much to all who answered you are a great source of knowledge !

  8. Re: Newbie has some basic questions getting started - please help

    While stranded on the hard shoulder of the information super highway PosterGuy@home.com typed:
    > Please help me out. I'm a Linux newbie. I managed to install Red Hat Fedora
    > on a computer I have and I need to know several things that I can't figure
    > out on my own.
    >
    > 1) How can I tell what version of Fedora Core I have? (does FC run on top
    > of something else?)

    At the command line type uname -a or cat /proc/version

    > 2) How do I look at my hard drive and see how much free space I have?

    At the command line type df - you might want to add some options to
    get a "sensible" answer. df -h is a good one. There are also options
    on the menu to do this. If you are running KD, check in info centre or
    use KDiskFree. If you have another GUI, have a dig around.

    > 3) How do I install and unistall programs?

    This depends entirely on how the application is packaged. It might be in
    rpm format, in which case rpm -i some.file.rpm will do the job (which is
    what I do), but this is very terse on the output. You might like to use
    rpm -ivh some.file.rpm Of course, you should test that you have all of
    the dependancies first with rpm -i --test some.file.rpm

    If the application packaged as a tar zip (.gz or .tz) then you will need
    to untar the file tar - xzvf some.file.gz Of course before you do this,
    you should look at a listing of the contents to see where it is going to
    unpack the files; tar -tzvf some.file.gz will do this. There *should* be
    a README with the application which will tell you how to install it.

    If your trying to install stuff from your FC cds, the easiest way is to
    call up the package management option from the menu.

    > 4) Can I upgrade say, for example from Fedora Core 2 to FC4 from within
    > Linux ie: with the machine and OS up and running? If so how/what do I
    > download from the internet (what extension on the file?)

    Yep. Again on the menu, there is up2date or similar which will do it
    for you. I'm a bit vague on this, 'cus I've never done it. My last upgrade
    was from RH7.1 to FC3 and I don't think up2date would have handled that, so
    I did it all manaually.

    > 5) Where do I get Mythtv and how do I load it after I get FC4 running?

    Google is your friend here - I'm not a TV guy so I can't help

    > Thank you so much. I am so tired of Windows but this is proving a bit much
    > of a challenge.

    It's not a challenge, it's a learning experience. Welcome aboard.

    --
    Trog Woolley | trog at trogwoolley dot com
    (A Croweater back residing in Pommie Land with Linux)

  9. Re: Newbie has some basic questions getting started - please help

    Trog Woolley wrote:
    > While stranded on the hard shoulder of the information super highway PosterGuy@home.com typed:
    >> Please help me out. I'm a Linux newbie. I managed to install Red Hat Fedora
    >> on a computer I have and I need to know several things that I can't figure
    >> out on my own.
    >>
    >> 1) How can I tell what version of Fedora Core I have? (does FC run on top
    >> of something else?)

    > At the command line type uname -a or cat /proc/version

    The following gives a simpler answer...

    ]$ cat /etc/redhat-release
    Fedora Core release 5 (Bordeaux)

    The others tell the kernel level, which may tell you the version of
    Fedora Core.

    You might consider FC5, as a recent "convert" there are some things that
    might cause you difficulties that go away in FC5. Like the mounting and
    unmounting of CDs and DVDs.

    >> 2) How do I look at my hard drive and see how much free space I have?

    > At the command line type df - you might want to add some options to
    > get a "sensible" answer. df -h is a good one. There are also options
    > on the menu to do this. If you are running KD, check in info centre or
    > use KDiskFree. If you have another GUI, have a dig around.
    >
    >> 3) How do I install and unistall programs?

    > This depends entirely on how the application is packaged. It might be in
    > rpm format, in which case rpm -i some.file.rpm will do the job (which is
    > what I do), but this is very terse on the output. You might like to use
    > rpm -ivh some.file.rpm Of course, you should test that you have all of
    > the dependancies first with rpm -i --test some.file.rpm
    >
    > If the application packaged as a tar zip (.gz or .tz) then you will need
    > to untar the file tar - xzvf some.file.gz Of course before you do this,
    > you should look at a listing of the contents to see where it is going to
    > unpack the files; tar -tzvf some.file.gz will do this. There *should* be
    > a README with the application which will tell you how to install it.
    >
    > If your trying to install stuff from your FC cds, the easiest way is to
    > call up the package management option from the menu.

    There is also yum, if the package is on one of the sites you have
    defined. So you can get additional packages from Fedora Extras that way.

    Uninstalls are done with rpm -e packageNameNotRPMname, or by yum remove.
    man yum and man rpm for more details.

    >> 4) Can I upgrade say, for example from Fedora Core 2 to FC4 from within
    >> Linux ie: with the machine and OS up and running? If so how/what do I
    >> download from the internet (what extension on the file?)

    > Yep. Again on the menu, there is up2date or similar which will do it
    > for you. I'm a bit vague on this, 'cus I've never done it. My last upgrade
    > was from RH7.1 to FC3 and I don't think up2date would have handled that, so
    > I did it all manaually.
    >
    >> 5) Where do I get Mythtv and how do I load it after I get FC4 running?

    > Google is your friend here - I'm not a TV guy so I can't help
    >
    >> Thank you so much. I am so tired of Windows but this is proving a bit much
    >> of a challenge.

    > It's not a challenge, it's a learning experience. Welcome aboard.

  10. Re: Newbie has some basic questions getting started - please help

    Trog Woolley wrote in

    > While stranded on the hard shoulder of the information super highway
    > PosterGuy@home.com typed:
    >> Please help me out. I'm a Linux newbie. I managed to install Red Hat
    >> Fedora on a computer I have and I need to know several things that I
    >> can't figure out on my own.
    >>
    >> 1) How can I tell what version of Fedora Core I have? (does FC run on
    >> top of something else?)

    > At the command line type uname -a or cat /proc/version
    >
    >> 2) How do I look at my hard drive and see how much free space I have?

    > At the command line type df - you might want to add some options to
    > get a "sensible" answer. df -h is a good one. There are also options
    > on the menu to do this. If you are running KD, check in info centre
    > or use KDiskFree. If you have another GUI, have a dig around.
    >
    >> 3) How do I install and unistall programs?

    > This depends entirely on how the application is packaged. It might be
    > in rpm format, in which case rpm -i some.file.rpm will do the job
    > (which is what I do), but this is very terse on the output. You might
    > like to use rpm -ivh some.file.rpm Of course, you should test that
    > you have all of the dependancies first with rpm -i --test
    > some.file.rpm
    >
    > If the application packaged as a tar zip (.gz or .tz) then you will
    > need to untar the file tar - xzvf some.file.gz Of course before you
    > do this, you should look at a listing of the contents to see where it
    > is going to unpack the files; tar -tzvf some.file.gz will do this.
    > There *should* be a README with the application which will tell you
    > how to install it.
    >
    > If your trying to install stuff from your FC cds, the easiest way is
    > to call up the package management option from the menu.
    >
    >> 4) Can I upgrade say, for example from Fedora Core 2 to FC4 from
    >> within Linux ie: with the machine and OS up and running? If so
    >> how/what do I download from the internet (what extension on the
    >> file?)

    > Yep. Again on the menu, there is up2date or similar which will do it
    > for you. I'm a bit vague on this, 'cus I've never done it. My last
    > upgrade was from RH7.1 to FC3 and I don't think up2date would have
    > handled that, so I did it all manaually.
    >
    >> 5) Where do I get Mythtv and how do I load it after I get FC4
    >> running?

    > Google is your friend here - I'm not a TV guy so I can't help
    >
    >> Thank you so much. I am so tired of Windows but this is proving a bit
    >> much of a challenge.

    > It's not a challenge, it's a learning experience. Welcome aboard.

    Thank you so much for your answers - very very innformative !!!

  11. Re: Newbie has some basic questions getting started - please help

    ken wrote in news:jK1Vf.2716$KE1.1146@dukeread02:

> [...]

    > remove.
    > man yum and man rpm for more details.
    >

    >>> 4) Can I upgrade say, for example from Fedora Core 2 to FC4 from
    >>> within Linux ie: with the machine and OS up and running? If so
    >>> how/what do I download from the internet (what extension on the
    >>> file?)

    >> Yep. Again on the menu, there is up2date or similar which will do it
    >> for you. I'm a bit vague on this, 'cus I've never done it. My last
    >> upgrade was from RH7.1 to FC3 and I don't think up2date would have
    >> handled that, so I did it all manaually.
    >>
    >>> 5) Where do I get Mythtv and how do I load it after I get FC4
    >>> running?

    >> Google is your friend here - I'm not a TV guy so I can't help
    >>
    >>> Thank you so much. I am so tired of Windows but this is proving a
    >>> bit much of a challenge.

    >> It's not a challenge, it's a learning experience. Welcome aboard.

    Thank you so much - you guys are great and very helpful !!!

  12. Re: Newbie has some basic questions getting started - please help

    PosterGuy wrote:
    > Please help me out. I'm a Linux newbie. I managed to install Red Hat Fedora
    > on a computer I have and I need to know several things that I can't figure
    > out on my own.
    >
    > 1) How can I tell what version of Fedora Core I have? (does FC run on top
    > of something else?)
    >
    > 2) How do I look at my hard drive and see how much free space I have?
    >
    > 3) How do I install and unistall programs?
    >
    > 4) Can I upgrade say, for example from Fedora Core 2 to FC4 from within
    > Linux ie: with the machine and OS up and running? If so how/what do I
    > download from the internet (what extension on the file?)
    >
    > 5) Where do I get Mythtv and how do I load it after I get FC4 running?
    >
    > Thank you so much. I am so tired of Windows but this is proving a bit much
    > of a challenge.

    Well it looks like others have already answered most of your questions;
    I just wanted to recommend checking out fedorafaq.org for more basic
    info that's good to know. Here is a walkthrough for MythTV on FC4:
    http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/fcmyth.php You should note that it does
    require certain hardware, and I'd highly recommend getting more familiar
    with Linux before installing MythTV. You might also want to look up the
    KnoppMyth project (it's a live CD based on Debian that takes care of a
    lot of settings for you).

  13. Re: Newbie has some basic questions getting started - please help

    Nicholas Andrade wrote in
    news:z10Wf.51829$F_3.34009@newssvr29.news.prodigy. net:

    > PosterGuy wrote:
    >> Please help me out. I'm a Linux newbie. I managed to install Red Hat
    >> Fedora on a computer I have and I need to know several things that I
    >> can't figure out on my own.
    >>
    >> 1) How can I tell what version of Fedora Core I have? (does FC run on
    >> top of something else?)
    >>
    >> 2) How do I look at my hard drive and see how much free space I have?
    >>
    >> 3) How do I install and unistall programs?
    >>
    >> 4) Can I upgrade say, for example from Fedora Core 2 to FC4 from
    >> within Linux ie: with the machine and OS up and running? If so
    >> how/what do I download from the internet (what extension on the
    >> file?)
    >>
    >> 5) Where do I get Mythtv and how do I load it after I get FC4
    >> running?
    >>
    >> Thank you so much. I am so tired of Windows but this is proving a bit
    >> much of a challenge.

    > Well it looks like others have already answered most of your
    > questions; I just wanted to recommend checking out fedorafaq.org for
    > more basic info that's good to know. Here is a walkthrough for MythTV
    > on FC4: http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/fcmyth.php You should note that it
    > does require certain hardware, and I'd highly recommend getting more
    > familiar with Linux before installing MythTV. You might also want to
    > look up the KnoppMyth project (it's a live CD based on Debian that
    > takes care of a lot of settings for you).

    Bit by bit .... There's so much to read !!
    Good to get away from Windows though. Thanks for your input

+ Reply to Thread