Explanation of Runlevels - Redhat

This is a discussion on Explanation of Runlevels - Redhat ; I tried to look this up in a Google search, but no luck. Can someone please explain to me what the concept of Runlevels is? I am using FC4, and I was playing around with the System Settings\Server Settings\Services tool ...

  1. Explanation of Runlevels

    I tried to look this up in a Google search, but no luck. Can someone
    please explain to me what the concept of Runlevels is? I am using FC4,
    and I was playing around with the System Settings\Server
    Settings\Services tool to get my Samba to autostart. There are 3
    categories of Runlevels for every service... 3, 4 and 5. What do these
    mean? Should I select 3,4 and 5 for Samba?

    Thanks in advance.

  2. Re: Explanation of Runlevels

    apache wrote:
    > I tried to look this up in a Google search, but no luck. Can someone
    > please explain to me what the concept of Runlevels is? I am using FC4,
    > and I was playing around with the System Settings\Server
    > Settings\Services tool to get my Samba to autostart. There are 3
    > categories of Runlevels for every service... 3, 4 and 5. What do these
    > mean? Should I select 3,4 and 5 for Samba?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    Runlevel 0: shutdown of system. Not turned off.
    Runlevel 1: single user mode, commonly used to repair things or manage
    filesystems.

    Runlevel 2: multi user mode with low number of services. I use it only
    check changes in network settings.

    Runlevel 3: multi user mode with X-Windows services. Normal mode for
    servers.

    Runlevel 4: not implemented by most Linux distributions.

    Runlevel 5: multi user mode with X-Windows services. Normal mode for
    Workstations and Desktops. For servers I only use it if I need to use a
    graphical tool or a webbrowser.

    Hope to have explained a little bit.

    For samba I would say use the default:
    chkconfig smb on

    Look for the settings by:
    chkconfig --list smb

    On my system it results in:
    smb 0ff 1ff 2n 3n 4n 5n 6ff

    Kind regards,

    Jan Gerrit Kootstra RHCE

  3. Re: Explanation of Runlevels

    On Sat, 18 Mar 2006 10:37:29 +0100, Jan Gerrit Kootstra wrote:

    > Hope to have explained a little bit.
    >
    > For samba I would say use the default:
    > chkconfig smb on

    Jan, excellent explanations. Thanks very much for your quick response.
    This cleared a lot of confusion.

  4. Re: Explanation of Runlevels

    apache wrote:
    > On Sat, 18 Mar 2006 10:37:29 +0100, Jan Gerrit Kootstra wrote:
    >

    >>Hope to have explained a little bit.
    >>
    >>For samba I would say use the default:
    >> chkconfig smb on

    > Jan, excellent explanations. Thanks very much for your quick response.
    > This cleared a lot of confusion.

    Runlevel 6: reboot: should only have stopscripts, so in:
    chkconfig --list servicename you should see 6ff

    Just to complete the explanation.

    Kind regards,

    Jan Gerrit Kootstra RHCE

+ Reply to Thread