putty + cygwin extremely slow over VPN - Redhat

This is a discussion on putty + cygwin extremely slow over VPN - Redhat ; Hi all, I am running the latest putty and VPN connecting to my work network, and then sshing into my work machine. I have configured putty to properly do X11 forwarding, and in general, the VPN is working extremely fast. ...

  1. putty + cygwin extremely slow over VPN

    Hi all,
    I am running the latest putty and VPN connecting to my work network,
    and then sshing into my work machine. I have configured putty to
    properly do X11 forwarding, and in general, the VPN is working
    extremely fast. However, whenever I launch an X app, it eventually
    shows up, but takes forever! I noticed during this time that I was
    getting about 4K - 5K of bandwidth from my work machine to my x server
    (cygwin) !! As I said, other VPN actions got my full 220K / s download
    speed, so that part is fine. Anyone know what would be causing my work
    machine / putty to only be sending data to me at 5K / s over this X
    connection?
    Thanks so much,
    Brian

    briansin@gmail.com

  2. Re: putty + cygwin extremely slow over VPN

    On 9 Mar 2006 09:59:18 -0800, briansin@gmail.com wrote:

    >Hi all,
    >I am running the latest putty and VPN connecting to my work network,
    >and then sshing into my work machine. I have configured putty to
    >properly do X11 forwarding, and in general, the VPN is working
    >extremely fast. However, whenever I launch an X app, it eventually
    >shows up, but takes forever! I noticed during this time that I was
    >getting about 4K - 5K of bandwidth from my work machine to my x server
    >(cygwin) !! As I said, other VPN actions got my full 220K / s download
    >speed, so that part is fine. Anyone know what would be causing my work
    >machine / putty to only be sending data to me at 5K / s over this X
    >connection?
    >Thanks so much,
    >Brian
    >
    >briansin@gmail.com

    Cygwin is a snail. XMing ( http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Xming ) is an
    improvement, but still pathetic compared to a Linux X server. I don't
    know of anything better yet; I'd be interested in knowing if somebody
    else did.

  3. Re: putty + cygwin extremely slow over VPN

    On Thu, 09 Mar 2006 16:52:13 -0500, Some Other Somebody Else wrote:

    > On 9 Mar 2006 09:59:18 -0800, briansin@gmail.com wrote:
    >
    >>Hi all,
    >>I am running the latest putty and VPN connecting to my work network, and
    >>then sshing into my work machine. I have configured putty to properly
    >>do X11 forwarding, and in general, the VPN is working extremely fast.
    >>However, whenever I launch an X app, it eventually shows up, but takes
    >>forever! I noticed during this time that I was getting about 4K - 5K of
    >>bandwidth from my work machine to my x server (cygwin) !! As I said,
    >>other VPN actions got my full 220K / s download speed, so that part is
    >>fine. Anyone know what would be causing my work machine / putty to only
    >>be sending data to me at 5K / s over this X connection?
    >>Thanks so much,
    >>Brian
    >>
    >>briansin@gmail.com

    > Cygwin is a snail. XMing ( http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Xming ) is an
    > improvement, but still pathetic compared to a Linux X server. I don't
    > know of anything better yet; I'd be interested in knowing if somebody
    > else did.

    I've used Exceed by Hummingbird. It's expensive and is considerably slower
    than X-Cygwin.

  4. Re: putty + cygwin extremely slow over VPN

    One thing I did notice recently: If I change the XMing shortcut to
    use the options "-fullscreen -engine 4" in place of "-multiwindow",
    then it is very responsive for most purposes, very close to Linux,
    very easy most of the time to forget that I am not working directly
    with the host machine. The only area I saw where it still fell short
    of Linux was where relatively highly complex moving graphics were
    involved; for instance if I run the "kumppa" screen saver the
    difference shows. But if I run Mozilla, including java applets with
    moving graphics and interactive features, the difference seems
    negligible. Definitely a huge improvement over cygwin. This is on a
    Duron Applebred running at 2.25 GHz with 1GB RAM; YMMV.

+ Reply to Thread