[newbie] up2date alternative on Fedora Core 4? - Redhat

This is a discussion on [newbie] up2date alternative on Fedora Core 4? - Redhat ; I've got Fedora Core installed on a P3 500mhz with 256mb of ram. I installed FC4 on one of my old boxes because I wanted to start learning Linux. The install went without a hitch and after I got everything ...

  1. [newbie] up2date alternative on Fedora Core 4?

    I've got Fedora Core installed on a P3 500mhz with 256mb of ram. I
    installed FC4 on one of my old boxes because I wanted to start learning
    Linux. The install went without a hitch and after I got everything
    configured, I ran up2date which also ran w/o a hitch. That was about 7 or
    8mos ago and due to other pressing real life issues (I live outside of New
    Orleans), I've only now been able to start fooling around with it again.

    So I run up2date again to ensure that my system is, well, up to date with
    all the packages. Going through the various dialogues, I tell it to update
    all the packages. It seems I have to because if I don't select all then the
    forward button is greyed out. So after I select all and click forward, it
    starts to download the packages. The first weird thing I see is that every
    package gives a warning saying that it doesn't have GPG signature and asks
    if I want to continue. I indicate that I do for every package. It must
    have been over 50 times I had to do so.

    Except for the warning, it seems to download every package fine and, once
    finished, I click forward. At that point, it gets to the installing
    packages dialogue and then it just hangs. I see the HD light flashing but
    there doesn't seem to be any kind of progression on the install window. So
    I let it sit there for a few hours and come back. The install dialogue is
    gone with no message indicating success or failure. So I run up2date again
    and go through the entire process again as above. The only difference this
    time is that for each package, it says that it's already downloaded. It
    still gives me the warning, however. When it gets to the install dialogue,
    again it just sits there. There is no indication (within up2date or
    elsewhere) that my system has been updated.

    Basically, my questions are:

    * Does anyone know what is going on with my up2date? Why mightn't it be
    working as it should?

    * Is there an alternative to up2date that I can use to make sure my system
    has the latest packages installed?

    thnx,
    Christoph

  2. Re: [newbie] up2date alternative on Fedora Core 4?

    On Thu, 9 Mar 2006 07:32:56 -0600, "Christoph"
    wrote:

    >[...]Basically, my questions are:
    >
    >* Does anyone know what is going on with my up2date? Why mightn't it be
    >working as it should?
    >
    >* Is there an alternative to up2date that I can use to make sure my system
    >has the latest packages installed?
    >
    >thnx,
    >Christoph

    I've seen a number of threads in other places where it was said that
    the rhn-based system for FC4 was hosed and would not be fixed, that
    people would just have to wait for FC5 (although last I checked it
    worked on earlier Fedora releases, as well as CentOS). I can't claim
    that that information is authoritative though; it seems kind of dumb
    on its face not to implement some more or less usable kludge to do
    whatever CentOS and the other Fedora releases are doing to keep that
    working, but I don't know what the developers are dealing with in that
    department.

    Anyway, the command line programs apt and yum can both keep the system
    up to date, and there are graphical front ends available. Yum can
    easily be configured to run every night automatically; I'm using that
    now and haven't seen any problems with it - look for "yum" in Red
    Hat's service configuration program, or just run "chkconfig --level
    345 yum on" as root; that sets it to run every night.

  3. Re: [newbie] up2date alternative on Fedora Core 4?

    Use yumex instead of up2date. Yumex is a huge step forward over up2date.
    Up2date is a piece of dog crap. Yumex is a piece of horse crap, which is
    an improvement over dog crap, it still smells but not as badly.

    Ideally you would be able to just do a yum -y update and that would be
    sufficient to update your system. Unfortunately that doesn't work all of
    the time and it never works in circumstances like yours where the system
    is 8 months out of date. The problem is that if you are updating several
    hundred packages and there is a problem with even a single one, the whole
    update fails and not a single package will get updated. As far as I know
    there is no switch which tells yum to update everything it can and ignore
    the few packages that it can't handle (I'd be delighted to hear that I'm
    wrong about this). That's leaves the manual method which is going to take
    you hours. What you need to do is bring up Yumex. Then you select a couple
    of dozen packages from the update list and do an update on them. If that
    succeeds you can do some more. If a package fails then you'll have to
    unselect it and try do update the rest. Eventually you'll get down to a
    bunch of packages that have unresolvable dependencies. The way around this
    is to uninstall the packages that cause the conflicts, and then reinstall
    them.

  4. Re: [newbie] up2date alternative on Fedora Core 4?

    On Thu, 09 Mar 2006 15:02:59 -0500, General Schvantzkoph wrote:

    > Use yumex instead of up2date. Yumex is a huge step forward over up2date.
    > Up2date is a piece of dog crap. Yumex is a piece of horse crap, which is
    > an improvement over dog crap, it still smells but not as badly.

    Stop using all those scientific terms.

    > Ideally you would be able to just do a yum -y update and that would be
    > sufficient to update your system.

    You can.

    > Unfortunately that doesn't work all of the time and it never works in
    > circumstances like yours where the system is 8 months out of date.

    Never had trouble with this myself.

  5. Re: [newbie] up2date alternative on Fedora Core 4?

    On Thu, 09 Mar 2006 15:19:21 -0600, Ivan Marsh wrote:

    > On Thu, 09 Mar 2006 15:02:59 -0500, General Schvantzkoph wrote:
    >

    >> Use yumex instead of up2date. Yumex is a huge step forward over up2date.
    >> Up2date is a piece of dog crap. Yumex is a piece of horse crap, which is
    >> an improvement over dog crap, it still smells but not as badly.

    > Stop using all those scientific terms.
    >
    >> Ideally you would be able to just do a yum -y update and that would be
    >> sufficient to update your system.

    > You can.
    >
    >> Unfortunately that doesn't work all of the time and it never works in
    >> circumstances like yours where the system is 8 months out of date.

    > Never had trouble with this myself.

    You've been lucky. This happens to me all the time. When I do a fresh FC4
    installation now I'm very careful to do a minimum install, no apps except
    Emacs, and no Gnome. I then use yumex to install Gnome and everything else
    I need, that way I start with a clean set of current packages.

  6. Re: [newbie] up2date alternative on Fedora Core 4?

    In article ,
    General Schvantzkoph writes:
    >On Thu, 09 Mar 2006 15:19:21 -0600, Ivan Marsh wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 09 Mar 2006 15:02:59 -0500, General Schvantzkoph wrote:
    >>

    >>> Use yumex instead of up2date. Yumex is a huge step forward over up2date.
    >>> Up2date is a piece of dog crap. Yumex is a piece of horse crap, which is
    >>> an improvement over dog crap, it still smells but not as badly.

    >> Stop using all those scientific terms.
    >>
    >>> Ideally you would be able to just do a yum -y update and that would be
    >>> sufficient to update your system.

    >> You can.
    >>
    >>> Unfortunately that doesn't work all of the time and it never works in
    >>> circumstances like yours where the system is 8 months out of date.

    >> Never had trouble with this myself.

    >You've been lucky. This happens to me all the time. When I do a fresh FC4
    >installation now I'm very careful to do a minimum install, no apps except
    >Emacs, and no Gnome. I then use yumex to install Gnome and everything else
    >I need, that way I start with a clean set of current packages.

    I select "everything" during install. Just did that last week on a
    new system, with FC4 (x86_64). Did a yum update immediately after
    the firstboot; two packages of the 700 or so (both GFS related) failed
    the upgrade, so I did a yum list update, edited out the two GFS lines,
    then fed the result back into yum update $(cat list). Worked like a
    champ.

    scott

+ Reply to Thread