Fedora Core 4 updated - Now yum won't work! - Redhat

This is a discussion on Fedora Core 4 updated - Now yum won't work! - Redhat ; I just did a "yum -y update", and am now at kernel 2.6.15-1.1831_FC4. Besides breaking other things, yum will not run, and displays the error below. I tried installing from a src rpm, but that didn't help. I also tried ...

  1. Fedora Core 4 updated - Now yum won't work!

    I just did a "yum -y update", and am now at kernel
    2.6.15-1.1831_FC4. Besides breaking other things,
    yum will not run, and displays the error below.
    I tried installing from a src rpm, but that didn't
    help. I also tried upgrading, and downgrading yum
    but that didn't help either. I also "forced" a
    re-installation of python, and still it won't run

    mybox:/> yum
    There was a problem importing one of the Python modules
    required to run yum. The error leading to this problem was:

    No module named cElementTree

    Please install a package which provides this module, or
    verify that the module is installed correctly.

    It's possible that the above module doesn't match the
    current version of Python, which is:
    2.4.1 (#1, May 16 2005, 15:19:29)
    [GCC 4.0.0 20050512 (Red Hat 4.0.0-5)]

    If you cannot solve this problem yourself, please go to
    the yum faq at:
    http://wiki.linux.duke.edu/YumFaq

  2. Re: Fedora Core 4 updated - Now yum won't work!

    somebody wrote:

    > I just did a "yum -y update", and am now at kernel
    > 2.6.15-1.1831_FC4. Besides breaking other things,
    > yum will not run, and displays the error below.
    > I tried installing from a src rpm, but that didn't
    > help. I also tried upgrading, and downgrading yum
    > but that didn't help either. I also "forced" a
    > re-installation of python, and still it won't run

    Did the python-elementtree rpm package recently change??? (most likely)

    Download the source rpm to yum and rebuild the binary, as root from the
    console or xterm session;

    rpm -ivh
    http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pu....3.2-7.src.rpm

    The above command is one long line, watch out for word wrap. A space is
    after the 'rpm -ivh' portion and before the rest. This will download and
    installs the source package.

    cd /usr/src/redhat/SPECS

    rpmbuild -bb yum.spec

    cd/usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386 (or x86_64 or whatever)

    rpm -Uvh yum-2.3.2*.rpm --force

    --
    "A personal computer is called a personal computer because it's yours,
    Anything that runs on that computer, you should have control over."

  3. Re: Fedora Core 4 updated - Now yum won't work!

    > Did the python-elementtree rpm package recently change??? (most likely)
    >
    > Download the source rpm to yum and rebuild the binary, as root from the
    > console or xterm session;
    >
    > rpm -ivh
    > http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pu....3.2-7.src.rpm
    >
    > The above command is one long line, watch out for word wrap. A space is
    > after the 'rpm -ivh' portion and before the rest. This will download and
    > installs the source package.
    >
    > cd /usr/src/redhat/SPECS
    >
    > rpmbuild -bb yum.spec
    >
    > cd/usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386 (or x86_64 or whatever)
    >
    > rpm -Uvh yum-2.3.2*.rpm --force

    Yes, I believe the pyhon-elementtree module changed when I did
    a "yum update". I tried what you suggested, and receive a
    different error regarding python:

    mypc:/downloads> yum
    The yum libraries do not seem to be availableon your system for this version of python 2.4.1 (#1, May 16 2005, 15:19:29)
    [GCC 4.0.0 20050512 (Red Hat 4.0.0-5)]
    Please make sure the package you used to installyum was built for your
    install of python.

    I've tried unsuccessfully to upgrade python, and install different
    versions of elemttree. Any other suggestions?

    -Thanks

  4. Re: Fedora Core 4 updated - Now yum won't work! - SOLUTION

    On Wed, 01 Mar 2006 11:22:49 +0000, Lenard wrote:

    > Download the source rpm to yum and rebuild the binary, as root from the
    > console or xterm session;
    >
    > rpm -ivh
    > http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pu....3.2-7.src.rpm
    >
    > The above command is one long line, watch out for word wrap. A space is
    > after the 'rpm -ivh' portion and before the rest. This will download and
    > installs the source package.
    >
    > cd /usr/src/redhat/SPECS
    >
    > rpmbuild -bb yum.spec
    >
    > cd/usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386 (or x86_64 or whatever)
    >
    > rpm -Uvh yum-2.3.2*.rpm --force

    I had to uninstall the two newer python packages listed below,
    and install these versions. After that, numerous yum versions
    worked.

    python-elementtree-1.2.6-4.i386.rpm
    python-urlgrabber-2.9.6-1.noarch.rpm

  5. Re: Fedora Core 4 updated - Now yum won't work! - SOLUTION

    somebody wrote:

    > I had to uninstall the two newer python packages listed below,
    > and install these versions. After that, numerous yum versions
    > worked.
    >
    > python-elementtree-1.2.6-4.i386.rpm
    > python-urlgrabber-2.9.6-1.noarch.rpm

    Why did you not just rebuild/install the binary yum rpm???? Your 'new' yum
    binary would work just fine with these two packages installed.

    --
    "A personal computer is called a personal computer because it's yours,
    Anything that runs on that computer, you should have control over."
    Andrew Moss, Microsoft's senior director of technical policy, 2005

+ Reply to Thread