RHEL 3, videodev module not found - Redhat

This is a discussion on RHEL 3, videodev module not found - Redhat ; Hi all! I am trying to install qc-usb module for Logitech quickcam express on my SGI prism server running on RHEL 3. But now qc-usb module requires videodev module to be installed first. I am not able to find "videodev" ...

  1. RHEL 3, videodev module not found

    Hi all!
    I am trying to install qc-usb module for Logitech quickcam express on
    my SGI prism server running on RHEL 3. But now qc-usb module requires
    videodev module to be installed first. I am not able to find "videodev"
    module for RHEL 3 on net.

    # uname -a
    Linux godavari 2.4.21-sgi306rp13 #1 SMP Wed Aug 3 14:14:32 PDT 2005
    ia64 ia64 ia64 GNU/Linux
    I am using 2.4.x kernel on 64bit Itanium processor. I found that there
    are no video modules present in my system as is evident from following
    output

    # cd /lib/modules/2.4.21-sgi306rp13/kernels/drivers
    # ls -F
    block/ char/ input/ misc/ net/ scsi/ usb/ xscsi/

    It shows that there are no video drivers. This is the reason why
    modprobe fails.

    # /sbin/modprobe videodev
    modprobe: Can't locate module videodev
    I don't know where to get these modules. Is it already there in the
    kernel and I would have to just activate it? If yes, then how? If it is
    not present in my system, where can I find these video modules and how
    do I install them.

    Please help.

    Regards,
    swagat

  2. Re: RHEL 3, videodev module not found

    swagat wrote:

    > Hi all!
    > I am trying to install qc-usb module for Logitech quickcam express on
    > my SGI prism server running on RHEL 3. But now qc-usb module requires
    > videodev module to be installed first. I am not able to find "videodev"
    > module for RHEL 3 on net.

    > # uname -a
    > Linux godavari 2.4.21-sgi306rp13 #1 SMP Wed Aug 3 14:14:32 PDT 2005
    > ia64 ia64 ia64 GNU/Linux
    > I am using 2.4.x kernel on 64bit Itanium processor. I found that there
    > are no video modules present in my system as is evident from following
    > output

    > # cd /lib/modules/2.4.21-sgi306rp13/kernels/drivers
    > # ls -F
    > block/ char/ input/ misc/ net/ scsi/ usb/ xscsi/
    >
    > It shows that there are no video drivers. This is the reason why
    > modprobe fails.

    > # /sbin/modprobe videodev
    > modprobe: Can't locate module videodev
    > I don't know where to get these modules. Is it already there in the
    > kernel and I would have to just activate it? If yes, then how? If it is
    > not present in my system, where can I find these video modules and how
    > do I install them.

    Try downloading the kernel-source rpm for you kernel and re-build the kernel
    or build the module. Here's a couple of links to get you started;

    http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/e...ch-kernel.html

    http://www.digitalhermit.com/linux/K...ild-HOWTO.html

    Hint: look at the Multimedia devices and USB Multimedia devices sections

    You might want to download the kernel-unsupported rpm first.

    --
    "A personal computer is called a personal computer because it's yours,
    Anything that runs on that computer, you should have control over."

+ Reply to Thread