can anyone help? (with swap file) - Redhat

This is a discussion on can anyone help? (with swap file) - Redhat ; In redhat linux FC4, in Gnome I go under Applications, System Tools and then Look at the system monitor... On the resources page, under devices, it does not show my swap file even though I know for a fact that ...

  1. can anyone help? (with swap file)

    In redhat linux FC4, in Gnome I go under Applications, System Tools and then
    Look at the system monitor...

    On the resources page, under devices, it does not show my swap file even
    though I know for a fact that I created one during the install...

    Can anyone tell me what happened to it? or how to find out if it is there or
    not?

    I'm a linux newbie.

    Thank you!

    carl

  2. Re: can anyone help? (with swap file)

    carl (aliceinchains_@hotmail.com) writes:
    >In redhat linux FC4, in Gnome I go under Applications, System Tools and then
    >Look at the system monitor...
    >
    >On the resources page, under devices, it does not show my swap file even
    >though I know for a fact that I created one during the install...
    >
    >Can anyone tell me what happened to it? or how to find out if it is there or
    >not?
    >
    >I'm a linux newbie.

    bash$ cat /proc/swaps

    scott

  3. Re: can anyone help? (with swap file)

    Thanks scott,

    I inputted what you wrote at the terminal and it output nothing.
    any more ideas?

    I formatted a SWAP partition during the install, I don't know why it isn't
    showing up?
    how do I make the swap active?

    Thanks

  4. Re: can anyone help? (with swap file)

    carl (aliceinchains_@hotmail.com) writes:
    >Thanks scott,
    >
    >I inputted what you wrote at the terminal and it output nothing.
    >any more ideas?
    >
    >I formatted a SWAP partition during the install, I don't know why it isn't
    >showing up?
    >how do I make the swap active?
    >
    >Thanks

    First, identify your swap partition:

    # fdisk -l /dev/sda

    Disk /dev/sda: 255 heads, 63 sectors, 4425 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 bytes

    Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/sda1 * 1 32 257008+ 83 Linux
    /dev/sda2 33 163 1052257+ 82 Linux swap
    /dev/sda3 164 2203 16386300 83 Linux
    /dev/sda4 2204 4425 17848215 83 Linux

    Then, add a line in your /etc/fstab like:

    /dev/sda2 swap swap defaults 0 0

    Then,

    # swapon -a
    # cat /proc/swaps