Eclipse on fresh FC4 install fails. - Redhat

This is a discussion on Eclipse on fresh FC4 install fails. - Redhat ; When I type "eclipse" at a command line, I get the following behavior: $ eclipse Failed to load Main-Class manifest attribute from startup.jar And a window pops up that says: JVM terminated. Exit code=1 /usr/bin/java -jar startup.jar -os linux -ws ...

  1. Eclipse on fresh FC4 install fails.

    When I type "eclipse" at a command line, I get the following behavior:

    $ eclipse
    Failed to load Main-Class manifest attribute from startup.jar

    And a window pops up that says:

    JVM terminated. Exit code=1
    /usr/bin/java
    -jar startup.jar
    -os linux
    -ws gtk
    -arch x86
    -launcher /usr/bin/eclipse
    -name Eclipse
    -showsplash 600
    -exitdata 23a000b
    -vm /usr/bin/java
    -vmargs
    -jar startup.jar
    with a [Close] button.

    I presume it's just not finding the /usr/share/eclipse/startup.jar or
    something, but I don't know what environment variable to set in order
    to have it load correctly.

    If I run $ java -jar /usr/share/eclipse/startup.jar

    the IDE starts up, but if I actually try to do anything, eclipse seems
    unstable and crashes frequently.

    Anyone have advice/help?

    thanks, alan

    --
    Alan Hoyle - alanh@unc.edu - http://www.alanhoyle.com/
    Get Horizontal, Play Ultimate.

  2. Re: Eclipse on fresh FC4 install fails.

    Alan Hoyle writes:
    >When I type "eclipse" at a command line, I get the following behavior:
    >

    > $ eclipse
    > Failed to load Main-Class manifest attribute from startup.jar
    >
    >And a window pops up that says:
    >
    > JVM terminated. Exit code=1
    > /usr/bin/java
    > -jar startup.jar
    > -os linux
    > -ws gtk
    > -arch x86
    > -launcher /usr/bin/eclipse
    > -name Eclipse
    > -showsplash 600
    > -exitdata 23a000b
    > -vm /usr/bin/java
    > -vmargs
    > -jar startup.jar
    >with a [Close] button.
    >
    >I presume it's just not finding the /usr/share/eclipse/startup.jar or
    >something, but I don't know what environment variable to set in order
    >to have it load correctly.
    >
    >If I run $ java -jar /usr/share/eclipse/startup.jar
    >
    >the IDE starts up, but if I actually try to do anything, eclipse seems
    >unstable and crashes frequently.
    >
    >Anyone have advice/help?

    Your classpath is incorrect.

    scott

  3. Re: Eclipse on fresh FC4 install fails.

    In alt.linux.redhat Scott Lurndal wrote:
    > Alan Hoyle writes:
    >>When I type "eclipse" at a command line, I get the following behavior:
    >>

    >> $ eclipse
    >> Failed to load Main-Class manifest attribute from startup.jar
    >>
    >>I presume it's just not finding the /usr/share/eclipse/startup.jar or
    >>something, but I don't know what environment variable to set in order
    >>to have it load correctly.
    >>
    >>If I run $ java -jar /usr/share/eclipse/startup.jar
    >>
    >>the IDE starts up, but if I actually try to do anything, eclipse seems
    >>unstable and crashes frequently.
    >>
    >>Anyone have advice/help?

    > Your classpath is incorrect.

    Ok, so what should it be then?

    -alan

    --
    Alan Hoyle - alanh@unc.edu - http://www.alanhoyle.com/
    Get Horizontal, Play Ultimate.

  4. Re: Eclipse on fresh FC4 install fails.

    Alan Hoyle wrote:

    > $ eclipse
    > Failed to load Main-Class manifest attribute from startup.jar

    There is apparently not a single useful answer to this question in the
    google-able world. After a day's experimentation I have found the
    following workaround (as root):

    rm /usr/bin/eclipse
    ln -s /usr/bin/eclipse /usr/share/eclipse/eclipse
    chmod 755 /usr/bin/eclipse

    eclipse worked for me on a fresh FC4 install but then started throwing
    the error you report. I believe what broke it was an update to the
    various eclipse packages. strace eclipse (on the new version anyway)
    shows that it only looks for startup.jar in the same directory as the
    eclipse launcher; it ignores CLASSPATH totally.

+ Reply to Thread