KDE autorun problem in Fedora C3/C4 - Redhat

This is a discussion on KDE autorun problem in Fedora C3/C4 - Redhat ; Both C3 & C4 start KDE autorun on the opening KDE desktop after a boot. There is no CD in the drive but it runs until a timeout of 30 to 45sec. This must be a Fedora rather than KDE ...

  1. KDE autorun problem in Fedora C3/C4

    Both C3 & C4 start KDE autorun on the opening KDE desktop after
    a boot. There is no CD in the drive but it runs until a timeout of 30 to
    45sec. This must be a Fedora rather than KDE problem since other distros
    use KDE 3.3/3.4 without this behaviour.

    In C3 autorun doesn't respond to a CD(autorun doesn't run).

    You can uninstall KDE autorun but then on boot there is a popup
    complaining about it.

    The files /etc/autorun.misc & auto.master seem to have no relevance to
    KDE.

    Any fixes/ideas ?

  2. Re: KDE autorun problem in Fedora C3/C4

    On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 01:06:43 -0500, es290@ncf.ca (Terry E. Dwyer)
    wrote:

    > Both C3 & C4 start KDE autorun on the opening KDE desktop after
    >a boot. There is no CD in the drive but it runs until a timeout of 30 to
    >45sec. This must be a Fedora rather than KDE problem since other distros
    >use KDE 3.3/3.4 without this behaviour.
    >
    > In C3 autorun doesn't respond to a CD(autorun doesn't run).
    >
    > You can uninstall KDE autorun but then on boot there is a popup
    >complaining about it.
    >
    > The files /etc/autorun.misc & auto.master seem to have no relevance to
    >KDE.
    >
    > Any fixes/ideas ?

    This isn't a total fix, but if you delete or move
    $HOME/.kde/Autostart/Autorun.desktop then KDE will not attempt to
    start autorun when you log on. At least, that is the way it worked
    the last time I tried it, with CentOS 4; I don't know if there is a
    difference in FC3 or FC4. Also, I wonder if what you are seeing
    running until it times out is just the "busy cursor" that KDE displays
    when autorun starts. If so, if you type "ps -A | grep autorun" you
    may find that the autorun process is actually still running after the
    blinking icon disappears. That behavior can be disabled from the KDE
    control panel.

  3. Re: KDE autorun problem in Fedora C3/C4

    Some Other Somebody Else wrote:

    >On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 01:06:43 -0500, es290@ncf.ca (Terry E. Dwyer)
    >wrote:
    >

    >> Both C3 & C4 start KDE autorun on the opening KDE desktop after
    >>a boot. There is no CD in the drive but it runs until a timeout of 30 to
    >>45sec. This must be a Fedora rather than KDE problem since other distros
    >>use KDE 3.3/3.4 without this behaviour.
    >>
    >> In C3 autorun doesn't respond to a CD(autorun doesn't run).
    >>
    >> You can uninstall KDE autorun but then on boot there is a popup
    >>complaining about it.
    >>
    >> The files /etc/autorun.misc & auto.master seem to have no relevance to
    >>KDE.
    >>
    >> Any fixes/ideas ?
    >>

    >This isn't a total fix, but if you delete or move
    >$HOME/.kde/Autostart/Autorun.desktop then KDE will not attempt to
    >start autorun when you log on. At least, that is the way it worked
    >the last time I tried it, with CentOS 4; I don't know if there is a
    >difference in FC3 or FC4. Also, I wonder if what you are seeing
    >running until it times out is just the "busy cursor" that KDE displays
    >when autorun starts. If so, if you type "ps -A | grep autorun" you
    >may find that the autorun process is actually still running after the
    >blinking icon disappears. That behavior can be disabled from the KDE
    >control panel.

    The ps -A command didn't show autorun still running. Moving
    Autorun.desktop fixed it. This is probably just an annoyance rather than
    a real problem but it doessuggest something is wrong.

    Autorun of course doesn't work after applying the fix but I never liked
    it's autonomous behaviour anyway.

    Thanks for your assistance.

+ Reply to Thread