Questions about fedora core 4 - Redhat

This is a discussion on Questions about fedora core 4 - Redhat ; Hi All, 1. Can somebody give me some detailed information if it is possible to configure newsgroups accounts in evolution email? It is very different from Outlook Express and I can't set it up. 2. When I start fedora, the ...

  1. Questions about fedora core 4

    Hi All,

    1. Can somebody give me some detailed information if it is possible to
    configure newsgroups accounts in evolution email?
    It is very different from Outlook Express and I can't set it up.

    2. When I start fedora, the network is disconnected, I have to activate the
    device everytime in order to get on the internet. How can I permanently set
    it up to be active?

    3. I don't have sound on my new Gigabyte board with 82801FB (ICH6 family)
    sound chip. Any advice on what to try?

    4. Is there anything to default the answer to yes for the question "the
    package XYZ is not signed with a GPC signature. Continue?"
    I spent half a day watching the computer downloading these packages.

    Regards,
    Nicolae

  2. Re: Questions about fedora core 4

    Nicolae Fieraru wrote:

    > Hi All,
    >
    > 1. Can somebody give me some detailed information if it is possible to
    > configure newsgroups accounts in evolution email?
    > It is very different from Outlook Express and I can't set it up.
    >
    > 2. When I start fedora, the network is disconnected, I have to activate
    > the device everytime in order to get on the internet. How can I
    > permanently set it up to be active?

    as root user put in your
    /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 file:

    ONBOOT=yes

    Of course Fedora also has a gui tool to do that for you, I think
    you can go to the K Menu button in the lower left corner of the
    KDE desktop, look in the menu for "System Settings" then in its
    menu -> "Network". You need your root password to run the Network
    tool. Select the "Devices" tab and then the "Edit" button. In
    the General tab, click the box "Activate device when computer starts"
    then "OK", then you'll be back in the Devices tab page. Select
    "File" -> "Save" and then Quit.

    #4 yum has a command line option of "-y" like this example

    yum -y install XYZ

    which would install package XYZ and default all Y/N questions to you as
    if you said yes. But if you always don't want to use the gpg signature
    you can also put into your repository definition files:

    gpgcheck=0

    (see the files in /etc/yum.repos.d ). Of course, why not use gpgcheck?
    It's not hard to setup, see this page on pulling down the gpg keys:

    http://stanton-finley.net/fedora_cor...notes.html#Yum

    in particular the commands like:
    rpm --import http://freshrpms.net/packages/RPM-GPG-KEY.txt

    which would install the gpg key for freshrpms.net yum repository.
    Then you could leave gpgcheck=1 in your repository definition file
    for the freshrpms.net repository for yum to use.

    Mark

  3. Re: Questions about fedora core 4

    Hi Mark, thank you very muck for your answers

    >> 2. When I start fedora, the network is disconnected, I have to activate
    >> the device everytime in order to get on the internet. How can I
    >> permanently set it up to be active?

    > as root user put in your
    > /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 file:
    >
    > ONBOOT=yes
    >
    > Of course Fedora also has a gui tool to do that for you, I think
    > you can go to the K Menu button in the lower left corner of the
    > KDE desktop, look in the menu for "System Settings" then in its
    > menu -> "Network". You need your root password to run the Network
    > tool. Select the "Devices" tab and then the "Edit" button. In
    > the General tab, click the box "Activate device when computer starts"
    > then "OK", then you'll be back in the Devices tab page. Select
    > "File" -> "Save" and then Quit.

    Thank you Mark, meantime the system starts with the network activated. I
    knew about that setting and I checked it many times and it was set to be
    activated. Not sure why it didn't activate though.

    >> 3. I don't have sound on my new Gigabyte board with 82801FB (ICH6 family)
    >> sound chip. Any advice on what to try?

    This thing has solved by itself after doing the latest upgrades to the
    software, using up2date

    >> 4. Is there anything to default the answer to yes for the question "the
    >> package XYZ is not signed with a GPC signature. Continue?"
    >> I spent half a day watching the computer downloading these packages.

    > #4 yum has a command line option of "-y" like this example
    >
    > yum -y install XYZ
    >
    > which would install package XYZ and default all Y/N questions to you as
    > if you said yes. But if you always don't want to use the gpg signature
    > you can also put into your repository definition files:
    >
    > gpgcheck=0
    >
    > (see the files in /etc/yum.repos.d ). Of course, why not use gpgcheck?
    > It's not hard to setup, see this page on pulling down the gpg keys:

    > http://stanton-finley.net/fedora_cor...notes.html#Yum
    >
    > in particular the commands like:
    > rpm --import http://freshrpms.net/packages/RPM-GPG-KEY.txt
    >
    > which would install the gpg key for freshrpms.net yum repository.
    > Then you could leave gpgcheck=1 in your repository definition file
    > for the freshrpms.net repository for yum to use.
    >
    > Mark

    I will check about GPG keys, thank you for the link.

    Cheers,
    Nick

  4. Re: Questions about fedora core 4

    On Sat, 04 Feb 2006 19:44:01 +1100, Nicolae Fieraru wrote:

    > 1. Can somebody give me some detailed information if it is possible to
    > configure newsgroups accounts in evolution email?
    > It is very different from Outlook Express and I can't set it up.

    If evolution does do news at all it is an afterthought. You
    might find it quicker to install the "Pan" newsreader.
    Use YUM to get it from extras. Knode is also a linux newsreader
    but I'v no idea what it's like

    > 3. I don't have sound on my new Gigabyte board with 82801FB (ICH6 family)
    > sound chip. Any advice on what to try?

    The first thing to try is to max every volume control even the ones that
    you think arn't relevant. (It was the mike volume that worked for me
    last time).

    Dejvid

+ Reply to Thread