Quad Opteron running at half the speed? - Redhat

This is a discussion on Quad Opteron running at half the speed? - Redhat ; I just noticed that my Quad Opteron server with 2GHz CPU's is running at 1002MHz. I could not believe my eyes when I saw /proc/cpuinfo returning "cpu MHz : 1002.420" The MoBo is TYAN, latest BIOS. Kernel 2.6.9-22.0.2.ELsmp but I ...

  1. Quad Opteron running at half the speed?

    I just noticed that my Quad Opteron server with 2GHz CPU's is running at 1002MHz.
    I could not believe my eyes when I saw /proc/cpuinfo returning
    "cpu MHz : 1002.420"

    The MoBo is TYAN, latest BIOS. Kernel 2.6.9-22.0.2.ELsmp but I can't see how kernel could
    have anything to do with it. I would bet that originally the machine ran at 2 GHz.

    Any ideas as to what could have happened? I cannot take the machine down to play with it
    unless I have some sort of a plan. Mind boggles...

    Thanks

  2. Re: Quad Opteron running at half the speed?

    On Wed, 01 Feb 2006 17:53:22 -0500, FEEB wrote:

    > I just noticed that my Quad Opteron server with 2GHz CPU's is running at 1002MHz.
    > I could not believe my eyes when I saw /proc/cpuinfo returning
    > "cpu MHz : 1002.420"
    >
    > The MoBo is TYAN, latest BIOS. Kernel 2.6.9-22.0.2.ELsmp but I can't see how kernel could
    > have anything to do with it. I would bet that originally the machine ran at 2 GHz.
    >
    > Any ideas as to what could have happened? I cannot take the machine down to play with it
    > unless I have some sort of a plan. Mind boggles...
    >
    > Thanks

    Do Opteron's support Cool and Quiet? The Athlon64s can run at reduced
    clock rates when they aren't busy which reduces power and heat. Chances
    are the Opteron can do the same thing. The clock speed is controlled by
    the speed governors which are found in the cpufreq directories (cpux is
    the cpu0, cpu1,cpu2,cpu3),

    /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpux/cpufreq/scaling_available_governors
    /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpux/cpufreq/scaling_available_frequencies
    /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpux/cpufreq/scaling_governor

    You need to upgrade to a modern kernel to get cpu frequency control. 2.6.9
    lacked decent support for AMD64 power governors, 2.6.12.x and higher have
    speed governor support. Upgrade to the current 2.6.15.2 kernel. If you
    build it yourself make sure that you build in the speed governors,

    # CPU Frequency scaling
    #
    CONFIG_CPU_FREQ=y
    CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_TABLE=y
    CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEBUG=y
    CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_STAT=m
    CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_STAT_DETAILS=y
    # CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_PERFORMANCE is not set
    CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_USERSPACE=y
    CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_PERFORMANCE=y
    CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_POWERSAVE=y
    CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_USERSPACE=y
    CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_ONDEMAND=y
    CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_CONSERVATIVE=y

    The 32 bit versions of Fedora don't include the speed governors in the
    standard install (there might be an RPM, I don't know because I always
    build my own kernels). The 64 bit version of FC4 does include the speed
    governors.

  3. Re: Quad Opteron running at half the speed?

    "FEEB" writes:
    >I just noticed that my Quad Opteron server with 2GHz CPU's is running at 1002MHz.
    >I could not believe my eyes when I saw /proc/cpuinfo returning
    >"cpu MHz : 1002.420"
    >
    >The MoBo is TYAN, latest BIOS. Kernel 2.6.9-22.0.2.ELsmp but I can't see how kernel could
    >have anything to do with it. I would bet that originally the machine ran at 2 GHz.
    >
    >Any ideas as to what could have happened? I cannot take the machine down to play with it
    >unless I have some sort of a plan. Mind boggles...

    The opterons have both frequency and voltage scaling. On redhat distributions
    the daemon cpuspeed will utilize frequency and voltage scaling to reduce power
    usage and heat generation during idle cpu periods.

    root# chkconfig cpuspeed off
    root# service cpuspeed stop

    will disable it.

    Note that as the load on the system increases, cpuspeed will automatically
    bump FID and VID up to the maximum values, but there will be some lag.

    scott

  4. Re: Quad Opteron running at half the speed?

    On Thu, 02 Feb 2006 01:03:38 GMT, Scott Lurndal wrote:

    >"FEEB" writes:
    >>I just noticed that my Quad Opteron server with 2GHz CPU's is running at 1002MHz.
    >>I could not believe my eyes when I saw /proc/cpuinfo returning
    >>"cpu MHz : 1002.420"
    >>
    >>The MoBo is TYAN, latest BIOS. Kernel 2.6.9-22.0.2.ELsmp but I can't see how kernel

    could
    >>have anything to do with it. I would bet that originally the machine ran at 2 GHz.
    >>
    >>Any ideas as to what could have happened? I cannot take the machine down to play with

    it
    >>unless I have some sort of a plan. Mind boggles...

    >The opterons have both frequency and voltage scaling. On redhat distributions
    >the daemon cpuspeed will utilize frequency and voltage scaling to reduce power
    >usage and heat generation during idle cpu periods.
    >
    >root# chkconfig cpuspeed off
    >root# service cpuspeed stop
    >
    >will disable it.
    >
    >Note that as the load on the system increases, cpuspeed will automatically
    >bump FID and VID up to the maximum values, but there will be some lag.
    >
    >scott

    Thanks for the pointer. Unfortunately, RHEL distribution does not have man page for
    cpuspeed and I could not find anything on the Web. Could you please point me to some
    reading about cpuspeed and /etc/cpuspeed.conf?

    Thanks

  5. Re: Quad Opteron running at half the speed?

    FEEB wrote:
    > On Thu, 02 Feb 2006 01:03:38 GMT, Scott Lurndal wrote:
    >

    >>"FEEB" writes:
    >>
    >>>I just noticed that my Quad Opteron server with 2GHz CPU's is running at 1002MHz.
    >>>I could not believe my eyes when I saw /proc/cpuinfo returning
    >>>"cpu MHz : 1002.420"
    >>>
    >>>The MoBo is TYAN, latest BIOS. Kernel 2.6.9-22.0.2.ELsmp but I can't see how kernel

    > could
    >
    >>>have anything to do with it. I would bet that originally the machine ran at 2 GHz.
    >>>
    >>>Any ideas as to what could have happened? I cannot take the machine down to play with

    > it
    >
    >>>unless I have some sort of a plan. Mind boggles...

    >>The opterons have both frequency and voltage scaling. On redhat distributions
    >>the daemon cpuspeed will utilize frequency and voltage scaling to reduce power
    >>usage and heat generation during idle cpu periods.
    >>
    >>root# chkconfig cpuspeed off
    >>root# service cpuspeed stop
    >>
    >>will disable it.
    >>
    >>Note that as the load on the system increases, cpuspeed will automatically
    >>bump FID and VID up to the maximum values, but there will be some lag.
    >>
    >>scott

    > Thanks for the pointer. Unfortunately, RHEL distribution does not have man page for
    > cpuspeed and I could not find anything on the Web. Could you please point me to some
    > reading about cpuspeed and /etc/cpuspeed.conf?
    >
    > Thanks

    cpuspeed -?

  6. Re: Quad Opteron running at half the speed?

    On Wed, 01 Feb 2006 23:24:42 -0500, FEEB wrote:

    > On Thu, 02 Feb 2006 01:03:38 GMT, Scott Lurndal wrote:
    >
    >>"FEEB" writes:
    >>>I just noticed that my Quad Opteron server with 2GHz CPU's is running at 1002MHz.
    >>>I could not believe my eyes when I saw /proc/cpuinfo returning
    >>>"cpu MHz : 1002.420"
    >>>
    >>>The MoBo is TYAN, latest BIOS. Kernel 2.6.9-22.0.2.ELsmp but I can't see how kernel

    > could
    >>>have anything to do with it. I would bet that originally the machine ran at 2 GHz.
    >>>
    >>>Any ideas as to what could have happened? I cannot take the machine down to play with

    > it
    >>>unless I have some sort of a plan. Mind boggles...

    >>The opterons have both frequency and voltage scaling. On redhat distributions
    >>the daemon cpuspeed will utilize frequency and voltage scaling to reduce power
    >>usage and heat generation during idle cpu periods.
    >>
    >>root# chkconfig cpuspeed off
    >>root# service cpuspeed stop
    >>
    >>will disable it.
    >>
    >>Note that as the load on the system increases, cpuspeed will automatically
    >>bump FID and VID up to the maximum values, but there will be some lag.
    >>
    >>scott

    > Thanks for the pointer. Unfortunately, RHEL distribution does not have man page for
    > cpuspeed and I could not find anything on the Web. Could you please point me to some
    > reading about cpuspeed and /etc/cpuspeed.conf?
    >
    > Thanks

    Which version of RHEL are you using? The 2.6.9 kernel is very old and it
    doesn't handle CPU speed scaling. You need to update your kernel to at
    least a 2.6.12.x kernel although I'd recommend that you update to a 2.6.15
    kernel if you can.

  7. Re: Quad Opteron running at half the speed?

    General Schvantzkoph wrote:
    > On Wed, 01 Feb 2006 23:24:42 -0500, FEEB wrote:

    >> could

    >> it
    >>> The opterons have both frequency and voltage scaling. On redhat distributions
    >>> the daemon cpuspeed will utilize frequency and voltage scaling to reduce power
    >>> usage and heat generation during idle cpu periods.
    >>>
    >>> root# chkconfig cpuspeed off
    >>> root# service cpuspeed stop
    >>>
    >>> will disable it.
    >>>
    >>> Note that as the load on the system increases, cpuspeed will automatically
    >>> bump FID and VID up to the maximum values, but there will be some lag.
    >>>
    >>> scott

    >> Thanks for the pointer. Unfortunately, RHEL distribution does not have man page for
    >> cpuspeed and I could not find anything on the Web. Could you please point me to some
    >> reading about cpuspeed and /etc/cpuspeed.conf?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>

    > Which version of RHEL are you using? The 2.6.9 kernel is very old and it
    > doesn't handle CPU speed scaling. You need to update your kernel to at
    > least a 2.6.12.x kernel although I'd recommend that you update to a 2.6.15
    > kernel if you can.

    From the kernel number, he is running the latest RHEL 4, which is Red Hat's
    Latest.

    the -22.0.2 is Red Hat's suffix: they put the patches in without changing
    the 2.6.x part because their stability policy is to never put in new
    features, but only to do bug and security fixes.

    ^^-^^ 10:20:00 up 13 days, 1:47, 5 users, load average: 5.47, 4.79, 4.37

  8. Re: Quad Opteron running at half the speed?

    On Thu, 2 Feb 2006, Scott Lurndal wrote:

    > The opterons have both frequency and voltage scaling. On redhat distributions
    > the daemon cpuspeed will utilize frequency and voltage scaling to reduce power
    > usage and heat generation during idle cpu periods.
    >
    > root# chkconfig cpuspeed off
    > root# service cpuspeed stop
    >
    > will disable it.
    >
    > Note that as the load on the system increases, cpuspeed will automatically
    > bump FID and VID up to the maximum values, but there will be some lag.

    We have had many issues with cpuspeed. I have found, and this is exactly
    the same on the many systems (10+) on which we have tried it, that simply
    stopping the service does not restore the "proper" clock rate; it simply
    leaves it at whatever it was, and furthermore, this lower setting persists
    across reboots (unless the box is power cycled). Sending a USR1 signal to
    cpuspeed prior to stopping it restores the clock rate. I have also never
    seen the clock rate increase under load once it has been reduced.

    Steve

  9. Re: Quad Opteron running at half the speed?

    On Wed, 01 Feb 2006 17:53:22 -0500, FEEB wrote:

    > I just noticed that my Quad Opteron server with 2GHz CPU's is running at 1002MHz.
    > I could not believe my eyes when I saw /proc/cpuinfo returning
    > "cpu MHz : 1002.420"
    >
    > The MoBo is TYAN, latest BIOS. Kernel 2.6.9-22.0.2.ELsmp but I can't see how kernel could
    > have anything to do with it. I would bet that originally the machine ran at 2 GHz.
    >
    > Any ideas as to what could have happened? I cannot take the machine down to play with it
    > unless I have some sort of a plan. Mind boggles...
    >
    > Thanks

    Various boards have the capability to set system speed - have you checked
    this possibility in the BIOS setup?

  10. Re: Quad Opteron running at half the speed?

    On Thu, 02 Feb 2006 09:35:45 -0500, General Schvantzkoph wrote:

    >On Wed, 01 Feb 2006 23:24:42 -0500, FEEB wrote:

    at 1002MHz.

    see how kernel
    >> could

    ran at 2 GHz.

    down to play with
    >> it
    >>>
    >>>The opterons have both frequency and voltage scaling. On redhat

    distributions
    >>>the daemon cpuspeed will utilize frequency and voltage scaling to reduce

    power
    >>>usage and heat generation during idle cpu periods.
    >>>
    >>>root# chkconfig cpuspeed off
    >>>root# service cpuspeed stop
    >>>
    >>>will disable it.
    >>>
    >>>Note that as the load on the system increases, cpuspeed will

    automatically
    >>>bump FID and VID up to the maximum values, but there will be some lag.
    >>>
    >>>scott

    >> Thanks for the pointer. Unfortunately, RHEL distribution does not have

    man page for
    >> cpuspeed and I could not find anything on the Web. Could you please

    point me to some
    >> reading about cpuspeed and /etc/cpuspeed.conf?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>

    >Which version of RHEL are you using? The 2.6.9 kernel is very old and it
    >doesn't handle CPU speed scaling. You need to update your kernel to at
    >least a 2.6.12.x kernel although I'd recommend that you update to a 2.6.15
    >kernel if you can.

    I am using RHEL4U2 and I can assure you that cpuspeed works as it is
    supposed to.

  11. Re: Quad Opteron running at half the speed?

    On Thu, 02 Feb 2006 15:23:41 GMT, Jean-David Beyer wrote:

    >General Schvantzkoph wrote:

    at 1002MHz.

    see how kernel
    >>> could

    ran at 2 GHz.

    down to play with
    >>> it

    distributions

    reduce power

    automatically

    >>> Thanks for the pointer. Unfortunately, RHEL distribution does not have

    man page for
    >>> cpuspeed and I could not find anything on the Web. Could you please

    point me to some
    >>> reading about cpuspeed and /etc/cpuspeed.conf?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks
    >>>

    >> Which version of RHEL are you using? The 2.6.9 kernel is very old and it
    >> doesn't handle CPU speed scaling. You need to update your kernel to at
    >> least a 2.6.12.x kernel although I'd recommend that you update to a

    2.6.15
    >> kernel if you can.
    >>

    >From the kernel number, he is running the latest RHEL 4, which is Red

    Hat's
    >Latest.
    >
    >the -22.0.2 is Red Hat's suffix: they put the patches in without changing
    >the 2.6.x part because their stability policy is to never put in new
    >features, but only to do bug and security fixes.

    Exactly. cpuspeed works just fine. I would just prefer to be able to read
    something about it.

  12. Re: Quad Opteron running at half the speed?

    On Thu, 02 Feb 2006 16:02:25 GMT, Steve Thompson wrote:

    >On Thu, 2 Feb 2006, Scott Lurndal wrote:
    >
    >> The opterons have both frequency and voltage scaling. On redhat

    distributions
    >> the daemon cpuspeed will utilize frequency and voltage scaling to reduce

    power
    >> usage and heat generation during idle cpu periods.
    >>
    >> root# chkconfig cpuspeed off
    >> root# service cpuspeed stop
    >>
    >> will disable it.
    >>
    >> Note that as the load on the system increases, cpuspeed will

    automatically
    >> bump FID and VID up to the maximum values, but there will be some lag.

    >We have had many issues with cpuspeed. I have found, and this is exactly
    >the same on the many systems (10+) on which we have tried it, that simply
    >stopping the service does not restore the "proper" clock rate; it simply
    >leaves it at whatever it was, and furthermore, this lower setting persists
    >across reboots (unless the box is power cycled). Sending a USR1 signal to
    >cpuspeed prior to stopping it restores the clock rate. I have also never
    >seen the clock rate increase under load once it has been reduced.
    >
    >Steve

    I did some testing (I can't take the machine down, it's my production
    server) and it works quite well here. It is capable of adjusting clock
    rate per single CPU, so I've seen various combinations of clock rates on my
    4 CPU's. When I start something CPU intensive (like dnetc), the clock rate
    goes to max on all CPU's almost instantaneously. When dnetc is killed it
    goes down right away. It reacts well to changing load on the machine
    adjusting clock rate on any number of CPU's if required.

    For your reference, this is my /etc/cpuspeed.conf:

    VMAJOR=1
    VMINOR=1
    OPTS="$OPTS -n"

    Unfortunately I have no idea what it does as I was not able to find any
    documentation so far and I did not have time to poke through the source.

  13. Re: Quad Opteron running at half the speed?

    On Thu, 02 Feb 2006 15:16:45 +0100, Jan Gerrit Kootstra wrote:

    >FEEB wrote:

    at 1002MHz.

    see how kernel

    >> could

    ran at 2 GHz.

    down to play with

    >> it

    >>>The opterons have both frequency and voltage scaling. On redhat

    distributions
    >>>the daemon cpuspeed will utilize frequency and voltage scaling to reduce

    power
    >>>usage and heat generation during idle cpu periods.
    >>>
    >>>root# chkconfig cpuspeed off
    >>>root# service cpuspeed stop
    >>>
    >>>will disable it.
    >>>
    >>>Note that as the load on the system increases, cpuspeed will

    automatically
    >>>bump FID and VID up to the maximum values, but there will be some lag.
    >>>
    >>>scott

    >> Thanks for the pointer. Unfortunately, RHEL distribution does not have

    man page for
    >> cpuspeed and I could not find anything on the Web. Could you please

    point me to some
    >> reading about cpuspeed and /etc/cpuspeed.conf?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>

    >cpuspeed -?

    That's the daemon that does clock rate and voltage adjustments in RHEL4U2.

    It works quite impressively.

  14. Re: Quad Opteron running at half the speed?

    FEEB wrote:
    > On Thu, 02 Feb 2006 15:16:45 +0100, Jan Gerrit Kootstra wrote:
    >

    >>FEEB wrote:

    > at 1002MHz.

    > see how kernel
    >
    >>>could

    > ran at 2 GHz.

    > down to play with
    >
    >>>it

    > distributions

    > power

    > automatically

    >>>Thanks for the pointer. Unfortunately, RHEL distribution does not have

    > man page for
    >
    >>>cpuspeed and I could not find anything on the Web. Could you please

    > point me to some
    >
    >>>reading about cpuspeed and /etc/cpuspeed.conf?
    >>>
    >>>Thanks
    >>>

    >>cpuspeed -?

    > That's the daemon that does clock rate and voltage adjustments in RHEL4U2.
    >
    > It works quite impressively.

    FEEB,

    cpuspeed -? is a way to find out more about the options of the command.

    Kind regards,

    Jan Gerrit Kootstra RHCE

  15. Re: Quad Opteron running at half the speed?

    On Thu, 02 Feb 2006 19:55:19 +0100, Jan Gerrit Kootstra wrote:

    >FEEB,
    >

    >cpuspeed -? is a way to find out more about the options of the command.

    Actually, here it is 'cpuspeed -h'. The above does not work here.

    Cheers

+ Reply to Thread