eterm under Redhat... - Redhat

This is a discussion on eterm under Redhat... - Redhat ; I've recently started using eterm (From the englightenment packages) on my FC4 system. There are two functions that I sorely miss from using Konsole. 1) Cut/paste to/from the eterm screen. Is this possible? 2) enlarging the default starting size of ...

  1. eterm under Redhat...

    I've recently started using eterm (From the englightenment packages)
    on my FC4 system.

    There are two functions that I sorely miss from using Konsole.

    1) Cut/paste to/from the eterm screen. Is this possible?

    2) enlarging the default starting size of the console window.

    Is there any way to do either of these things with eterm???

    Gwen

  2. Re: eterm under Redhat...

    Gwen Morse wrote:
    > I've recently started using eterm (From the englightenment packages)
    > on my FC4 system.
    >
    > There are two functions that I sorely miss from using Konsole.
    >
    > 1) Cut/paste to/from the eterm screen. Is this possible?
    >
    > 2) enlarging the default starting size of the console window.

    Let's see, the manual (type "man eterm") says this:

    1) When you call it up, you can add the font switch "-F" followed by a
    font name. The standard fonts for this range in size from the smallest:

    6x12 8x13 9x15 10x20

    So it would look like this: 'eterm -F 9x15' for example.

    2) Using a larger font will enlarge it some, but there is another
    switch: "-g" which allows you to make it larger. The increments are in
    screen pixels. If your desktop is, say 1024x768, and your window manager
    has tool bars, you'll have to allow for that and use something like
    1000x700. Thus, combined with the above command, we get:

    eterm -g 1000x700 -F 9x15

    Experiment with the font first, then play with the geometry. Once you
    are comfortable, you will have to learn how to modify the menus for your
    window manager, or create an icon. If I recall correctly, eterm has a
    context menu (right-click) which may help you some.

    --
    Ed Hurst
    ------------

  3. Re: eterm under Redhat...

    Ed Hurst wrote:
    > Gwen Morse wrote:

    [snip]

    >>1) Cut/paste to/from the eterm screen. Is this possible?

    I forgot this one. However, I can't imagine why cut-n-paste from the X
    server clipboard isn't working. Again, try the context menu
    (right-click) on the background of the eterm.

    --
    Ed Hurst
    ------------

  4. Re: eterm under Redhat...

    On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 20:05:49 GMT, Ed Hurst wrote:

    >Ed Hurst wrote:
    >> Gwen Morse wrote:

    >[snip]
    >
    >>>1) Cut/paste to/from the eterm screen. Is this possible?

    >I forgot this one. However, I can't imagine why cut-n-paste from the X
    >server clipboard isn't working. Again, try the context menu
    >(right-click) on the background of the eterm.

    When I right-click in the eterm window, itself, nothing happens (other
    than to highlight the line I'm on in the terminal).

    If I right-click in the word "Background" in the menu, then, the
    background menu pops up.

    The right-click menu for X DOES work when I right-click in other
    applications, or, on my desktop background.
    Gwen

  5. Re: eterm under Redhat...

    Gwen Morse wrote:

    > When I right-click in the eterm window, itself, nothing happens (other
    > than to highlight the line I'm on in the terminal).
    >
    > If I right-click in the word "Background" in the menu, then, the
    > background menu pops up.
    >
    > The right-click menu for X DOES work when I right-click in other
    > applications, or, on my desktop background.
    > Gwen

    I can suggest only that the version you are using has been
    misconfigured, probably at compile time. I admit it's been a long time
    since I used eterm, but I didn't find it *that* balky. My instinct is
    the package builder used a different version of Xlibs, or chose some
    unusual options for the build config.

    I wish I could help more.

    --
    Ed Hurst
    ------------

  6. Re: eterm under Redhat...

    On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 17:41:41 GMT, Ed Hurst wrote:

    >Gwen Morse wrote:
    >
    >> When I right-click in the eterm window, itself, nothing happens (other
    >> than to highlight the line I'm on in the terminal).
    >>
    >> If I right-click in the word "Background" in the menu, then, the
    >> background menu pops up.
    >>
    >> The right-click menu for X DOES work when I right-click in other
    >> applications, or, on my desktop background.
    >> Gwen

    >I can suggest only that the version you are using has been
    >misconfigured, probably at compile time. I admit it's been a long time
    >since I used eterm, but I didn't find it *that* balky. My instinct is
    >the package builder used a different version of Xlibs, or chose some
    >unusual options for the build config.

    Thanks. I know where I found the package, so, I'll try contacting the
    person who built it.

    Just knowing that it "could" be supporting cut/paste helps!

    Gwen

+ Reply to Thread