WinXP & Fedora 4 - Redhat

This is a discussion on WinXP & Fedora 4 - Redhat ; I have two drives, 80GB ide and 80GB S-ata. I have GAG installed on the ide drivewhich is set to boot first and I can select Linux(ide drive) or Windoze(SATA). If I select Linux, I can select Knoppix or Fedora ...

  1. WinXP & Fedora 4

    I have two drives, 80GB ide and 80GB S-ata.
    I have GAG installed on the ide drivewhich is set to boot first and I
    can select Linux(ide drive) or Windoze(SATA).
    If I select Linux, I can select Knoppix or Fedora from GRUB.
    With Knoppix I can use the SATA drive for files I may want to load into
    GIMP, OpenOffice etc. but can't access the Fedora partition.
    With Fedora, I can't find the KNoppix partition or the whole of the SATA
    drive.
    How can I get Fedora to see (and use) all of these partitions??

  2. Re: WinXP & Fedora 4

    PhilB wrote:

    > How can I get Fedora to see (and use) all of these partitions??

    What do you mean by see?? have you tried mounting them?

  3. Re: WinXP & Fedora 4

    decrepit > wrote:
    > PhilB wrote:
    >

    >> How can I get Fedora to see (and use) all of these partitions??

    > What do you mean by see?? have you tried mounting them?

    What do I mount? Where do I look (what settings)?

  4. Re: WinXP & Fedora 4

    On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 20:44:18 +0000, PhilB wrote:

    > decrepit > wrote:
    >> PhilB wrote:
    >>

    >>> How can I get Fedora to see (and use) all of these partitions??

    >> What do you mean by see?? have you tried mounting them?

    > What do I mount? Where do I look (what settings)?

    The easiest way is to copy the entries from /etc/fstab for each
    distribution into the other's /etc/fstab (leaving out duplicates of
    course). For the root of the other distro just create a mount mount with
    the distro's name, for example /fc4, and use it for the partition name in
    /etc/fstab. Another way to do this is to use webmin. Webmin has a pretty
    good partition manager which sees all of the partitions and allows you to
    add the partitions to /etc/fstab.

  5. Re: WinXP & Fedora 4

    > What do I mount? Where do I look (what settings)?

    OK try this, /sbin/fdisk -l

    this is what I get on this system.

    # /sbin/fdisk -l

    Disk /dev/hda: 40.0 GB, 40020664320 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 4865 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

    Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/hda1 * 1 973 7815591 b W95 FAT32
    /dev/hda2 974 986 104422+ 83 Linux
    /dev/hda3 987 2261 10241437+ 83 Linux
    /dev/hda4 2262 4865 20916630 5 Extended
    /dev/hda5 2262 2388 1020096 82 Linux swap
    /dev/hda6 2389 4865 19896471 b W95 FAT32

    create a directory for the ones you want to mount, I've put mine in /mnt
    You can then manually mount each partiton, (read, man mount) or set up
    /etc/fstab to mount them automatically

  6. Re: WinXP & Fedora 4

    Ta, I used Webmin and now can access all my XP stuff.

    > On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 20:44:18 +0000, PhilB wrote:
    >

    >>decrepit > wrote:

    >>>What do you mean by see?? have you tried mounting them?

    >>What do I mount? Where do I look (what settings)?

    > The easiest way is to copy the entries from /etc/fstab for each
    > distribution into the other's /etc/fstab (leaving out duplicates of
    > course). For the root of the other distro just create a mount mount with
    > the distro's name, for example /fc4, and use it for the partition name in
    > /etc/fstab. Another way to do this is to use webmin. Webmin has a pretty
    > good partition manager which sees all of the partitions and allows you to
    > add the partitions to /etc/fstab.

+ Reply to Thread