Raiding Redhat 7.3 - Redhat

This is a discussion on Raiding Redhat 7.3 - Redhat ; Hi I have a small Redhat server running Redhat 7.3. It has a 9Gb disk with the following partition layout: Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on /dev/hda2 8.4G 3.7G 4.2G 47% / /dev/hda1 45M 8.8M 34M 21% /boot none ...

  1. Raiding Redhat 7.3

    Hi I have a small Redhat server running Redhat 7.3.

    It has a 9Gb disk with the following partition layout:

    /dev/hda2 8.4G 3.7G 4.2G 47% /
    /dev/hda1 45M 8.8M 34M 21% /boot
    none 251M 0 251M 0% /dev/shm

    I have added a 19Gb hard drive.
    I would like to mirror the first drive to the second i.e RAID 1.

    I was wondering what steps are required in order to perform this, as i
    understand that mirroring / (root) is not straight forward. Is this
    even possible?

    I have created the same partitions on the second drive ( / & /boot ) so
    that they are duplicates of the first drive. Was this necessary?

    I would like some help on what steps I need in order to set this up and
    if possible what to do if one of the drives fails, how do I get my
    system up and working again?

    Thanks for help.

    Paul.

  2. Re: Raiding Redhat 7.3

    On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 07:20:28 -0800, Bob the milkman wrote:

    > Hi I have a small Redhat server running Redhat 7.3.
    >
    > It has a 9Gb disk with the following partition layout:

    > /dev/hda2 8.4G 3.7G 4.2G 47% /
    > /dev/hda1 45M 8.8M 34M 21% /boot
    > none 251M 0 251M 0% /dev/shm
    >
    > I have added a 19Gb hard drive.
    > I would like to mirror the first drive to the second i.e RAID 1.
    >
    > I was wondering what steps are required in order to perform this, as i
    > understand that mirroring / (root) is not straight forward. Is this
    > even possible?
    >
    > I have created the same partitions on the second drive ( / & /boot ) so
    > that they are duplicates of the first drive. Was this necessary?
    >
    > I would like some help on what steps I need in order to set this up and
    > if possible what to do if one of the drives fails, how do I get my
    > system up and working again?
    >
    > Thanks for help.
    >
    > Paul.

    Doubtful if you can mirror a 9G drive with a 19G drive. RAID is always
    done with identical drives. Frankly I don't know why you would want to
    waste disk space doing mirroring when you have such tiny drives. If I were
    you I'd use the 19G drive for /home. You should never ever put /home on
    the same partition as /, it makes upgrading the system much more difficult
    because you can't do a clean install without wiping out your user
    directories along with the system files.

  3. Re: Raiding Redhat 7.3

    General Schvantzkoph wrote:
    > On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 07:20:28 -0800, Bob the milkman wrote:
    >

    >>Hi I have a small Redhat server running Redhat 7.3.
    >>
    >>It has a 9Gb disk with the following partition layout:
    >>
    >>Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    >>/dev/hda2 8.4G 3.7G 4.2G 47% /
    >>/dev/hda1 45M 8.8M 34M 21% /boot
    >>none 251M 0 251M 0% /dev/shm
    >>
    >>I have added a 19Gb hard drive.
    >>I would like to mirror the first drive to the second i.e RAID 1.
    >>
    >>I was wondering what steps are required in order to perform this, as i
    >>understand that mirroring / (root) is not straight forward. Is this
    >>even possible?
    >>
    >>I have created the same partitions on the second drive ( / & /boot ) so
    >>that they are duplicates of the first drive. Was this necessary?
    >>
    >>I would like some help on what steps I need in order to set this up and
    >>if possible what to do if one of the drives fails, how do I get my
    >>system up and working again?
    >>
    >>Thanks for help.
    >>
    >>Paul.

    > Doubtful if you can mirror a 9G drive with a 19G drive. RAID is always
    > done with identical drives. Frankly I don't know why you would want to
    > waste disk space doing mirroring when you have such tiny drives. If I were
    > you I'd use the 19G drive for /home. You should never ever put /home on
    > the same partition as /, it makes upgrading the system much more difficult
    > because you can't do a clean install without wiping out your user
    > directories along with the system files.

    Paul,

    If you want to do it with software RAID you would need to reinstall your
    system, because / cannot be umounted.

    I would not go for a mirror but a dual boot.

    Create a /etc/fstab on the second disk that refers to the new partitions.

    edit your /etc/lilo.conf

    run lilo

    The bad thing about this senario: no copy of the mbr on disk 2. Has to
    do with Intel Architecture, I have never heard that two bootdisks are
    allowed.

    Kind regards,

    Jan Gerrit

  4. Re: Raiding Redhat 7.3

    On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 23:28:22 +0100, Jan Gerrit Kootstra
    wrote:

    >[...]If you want to do it with software RAID you would need to reinstall your
    >system, because / cannot be umounted.
    >[...]

    Root can be unmounted if you boot from a CD or a floppy or otherwise
    from something on another filesystem. I don't know whether that makes
    the setup described compatible with RAID, but FWIW....

  5. Re: Raiding Redhat 7.3

    Looks like I will rebuild the box with 2 drives and restore from
    backup, this is probably my best bet.

    Thank you.

+ Reply to Thread