ipconfig problems - Redhat

This is a discussion on ipconfig problems - Redhat ; In learning Linux, I've been going thru both "Running Linux", and "Linux in a Nutshell", plus the book "Fedora Core 4 Unleashed". So far I've had much success in setting up and configuring Linux. For the last two days I've ...

  1. ipconfig problems

    In learning Linux, I've been going thru both "Running Linux", and "Linux in
    a Nutshell", plus the book "Fedora Core 4 Unleashed". So far I've had much
    success in setting up and configuring Linux. For the last two days I've
    been stumped. I started experimenting with the 'ifconfig' command to check
    the current configuration status of my Ethernet interface card (NIC), and
    have hit a brick wall.

    When I type 'ifconfig' (without the quotes) either by itself or with
    arguments, I get the following response:

    -bash: ifconfig: command not found

    I can be logged in under my named account, or as 'su', it seems to make no
    difference. Additionally, I can be sitting in the /sbin directory where
    ifconfig is located, and still get the same results. This happens either
    when I boot to a command line (runlevel 3) or in GNOME or KDE - Nothing
    seems to matter. None of the books I have treat 'ifconfig' any differently
    than the other commands I've tried so far with great success. I've googled
    & yahoo'd the problem but to no avail. I probably can't see the forest for
    the trees (I'm just too close to it), or I'm doing something wrong, but I'll
    be darned if I can figure out what. Does anyone have any idea what the
    problem might be?

    Thanks,

    /Bob

  2. Re: ipconfig problems

    Try this,

    bob>su - (dont forget the minus sign)

    #>ifconfig

    HTH

    Bob Erdmann wrote:

    > In learning Linux, I've been going thru both "Running Linux", and "Linux in
    > a Nutshell", plus the book "Fedora Core 4 Unleashed". So far I've had much
    > success in setting up and configuring Linux. For the last two days I've
    > been stumped. I started experimenting with the 'ifconfig' command to check
    > the current configuration status of my Ethernet interface card (NIC), and
    > have hit a brick wall.
    >
    > When I type 'ifconfig' (without the quotes) either by itself or with
    > arguments, I get the following response:
    >
    > -bash: ifconfig: command not found
    >
    > I can be logged in under my named account, or as 'su', it seems to make no
    > difference. Additionally, I can be sitting in the /sbin directory where
    > ifconfig is located, and still get the same results. This happens either
    > when I boot to a command line (runlevel 3) or in GNOME or KDE - Nothing
    > seems to matter. None of the books I have treat 'ifconfig' any differently
    > than the other commands I've tried so far with great success. I've googled
    > & yahoo'd the problem but to no avail. I probably can't see the forest for
    > the trees (I'm just too close to it), or I'm doing something wrong, but I'll
    > be darned if I can figure out what. Does anyone have any idea what the
    > problem might be?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > /Bob

  3. Re: ipconfig problems

    Bob Erdmann wrote:
    > In learning Linux, I've been going thru both "Running Linux", and "Linux in
    > a Nutshell", plus the book "Fedora Core 4 Unleashed". So far I've had much
    > success in setting up and configuring Linux.

    Good for you! I'm impressed with your seriousness.

    > & yahoo'd the problem but to no avail. I probably can't see the forest for
    > the trees (I'm just too close to it), or I'm doing something wrong, but I'll
    > be darned if I can figure out what. Does anyone have any idea what the
    > problem might be?

    Short answer: it's not in your path.

    Long answer: You can either add /sbin to your path (not really a good
    idea) or you can create an alias in your ~/.bashrc

    alias ifconfig="/sbin/ifconfig"

    Ed Hurst
    ------------
    return addy is spam trap
    try je hurst at gmail dot com

  4. Re: ipconfig problems

    Wow! ... It worked! Guess I'll go back to the books to see what the minus
    sign does and what the difference is between logging on as su with and
    without it. I've not run into that before.

    Thanks - much appreciated.

    /Bob

    "pavlos" wrote in message
    > Try this,
    >
    > bob>su - (dont forget the minus sign)
    >
    > #>ifconfig
    >

    > HTH
    >

    > Bob Erdmann wrote:
    >
    > > In learning Linux, I've been going thru both "Running Linux", and "Linux

    in
    > > a Nutshell", plus the book "Fedora Core 4 Unleashed". So far I've had

    much
    > > success in setting up and configuring Linux. For the last two days I've
    > > been stumped. I started experimenting with the 'ifconfig' command to

    check
    > > the current configuration status of my Ethernet interface card (NIC),

    and
    > > have hit a brick wall.
    > >
    > > When I type 'ifconfig' (without the quotes) either by itself or with
    > > arguments, I get the following response:
    > >
    > > -bash: ifconfig: command not found
    > >
    > > I can be logged in under my named account, or as 'su', it seems to make

    no
    > > difference. Additionally, I can be sitting in the /sbin directory where
    > > ifconfig is located, and still get the same results. This happens

    either
    > > when I boot to a command line (runlevel 3) or in GNOME or KDE - Nothing
    > > seems to matter. None of the books I have treat 'ifconfig' any

    differently
    > > than the other commands I've tried so far with great success. I've

    googled
    > > & yahoo'd the problem but to no avail. I probably can't see the forest

    for
    > > the trees (I'm just too close to it), or I'm doing something wrong, but

    I'll
    > > be darned if I can figure out what. Does anyone have any idea what the
    > > problem might be?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > /Bob

  5. Re: ipconfig problems

    Thanks, Ed - That was the problem. I think I'll spend the day studying
    environments, paths, aliases, etc. :-) Probably time well spent, I
    suspect.

    /Bob (feeling like a dummy)

    "Ed Hurst" wrote in message
    news:FU6zf.10043$H71.5594@newssvr13.news.prodigy.c om...
    > Bob Erdmann wrote:
    > > In learning Linux, I've been going thru both "Running Linux", and "Linux

    in
    > > a Nutshell", plus the book "Fedora Core 4 Unleashed". So far I've had

    much
    > > success in setting up and configuring Linux.

    > Good for you! I'm impressed with your seriousness.
    >
    > > & yahoo'd the problem but to no avail. I probably can't see the forest

    for
    > > the trees (I'm just too close to it), or I'm doing something wrong, but

    I'll
    > > be darned if I can figure out what. Does anyone have any idea what the
    > > problem might be?

    > Short answer: it's not in your path.
    >
    > Long answer: You can either add /sbin to your path (not really a good
    > idea) or you can create an alias in your ~/.bashrc
    >
    > alias ifconfig="/sbin/ifconfig"
    >
    > Ed Hurst
    > ------------
    > return addy is spam trap
    > try je hurst at gmail dot com

  6. Re: ipconfig problems

    Bob Erdmann wrote:

    > Wow! ... It worked! Guess I'll go back to the books to see what the minus
    > sign does and what the difference is between logging on as su with and
    > without it. I've not run into that before.

    Using 'su' inherits the (current) user's pathing ($PATH) while using 'su -'
    inherits root's pathing. Try the command $PATH both ways and see for
    yourself.

    FYI: this is covered in the manpage for su, from the console or xterm
    session type; man su

    --
    "A personal computer is called a personal computer because it's yours,
    Anything that runs on that computer, you should have control over."

  7. Re: ipconfig problems

    Bob Erdmann wrote:

    > /Bob (feeling like a dummy)

    Don't put yourself down Bob, I'm in a very similar situation, and think
    I'm coping quite well. This problem puzzled me for a long time, the
    books say use a certain command, and when I try it nothing happens. Then
    one day, I think it may have been on this forum, somebody wrote the
    command with "/sbin/ in front of it, ie # /sbin/ifconfig
    There's a few of these I've found so far, and none of my books mentions
    this!!!! I thought initialy the program wasn't on the computer.
    Mike

  8. Re: ipconfig problems

    decrepit > wrote:
    > Bob Erdmann wrote:
    >
    >> /Bob (feeling like a dummy)

    > Don't put yourself down Bob, I'm in a very similar situation, and think
    > I'm coping quite well. This problem puzzled me for a long time, the
    > books say use a certain command, and when I try it nothing happens. Then
    > one day, I think it may have been on this forum, somebody wrote the
    > command with "/sbin/ in front of it, ie # /sbin/ifconfig
    > There's a few of these I've found so far, and none of my books mentions
    > this!!!! I thought initialy the program wasn't on the computer.
    > Mike

    I suppose those book authors have /sbin in their PATH. I specifically do not
    as I do not want to run one of those by accident, especially when I have
    root permissions.

    ^^-^^ 07:10:00 up 19 days, 21:57, 6 users, load average: 4.13, 4.20, 4.18

  9. Re: ipconfig problems

    decrepit > wrote:

    > Don't put yourself down Bob, I'm in a very similar situation, and think
    > I'm coping quite well. This problem puzzled me for a long time, the
    > books say use a certain command, and when I try it nothing happens. Then
    > one day, I think it may have been on this forum, somebody wrote the
    > command with "/sbin/ in front of it, ie # /sbin/ifconfig
    > There's a few of these I've found so far, and none of my books mentions
    > this!!!! I thought initialy the program wasn't on the computer.

    Ditto what this and the one from Jean-David says. Please note, on my
    CentOS system, if the command is there somewhere, even not in my path,
    the *locate* command always finds it.

    --
    Ed Hurst
    ------------

  10. Re: ipconfig problems

    Ed Hurst wrote:
    >Please note, on my
    > CentOS system, if the command is there somewhere, even not in my path,
    > the *locate* command always finds it.

    Thanks Ed, just tried it, and it works, very quick!!!

  11. Re: ipconfig problems

    Ed Hurst writes:
    >decrepit > wrote:
    >
    >> Don't put yourself down Bob, I'm in a very similar situation, and think
    >> I'm coping quite well. This problem puzzled me for a long time, the
    >> books say use a certain command, and when I try it nothing happens. Then
    >> one day, I think it may have been on this forum, somebody wrote the
    >> command with "/sbin/ in front of it, ie # /sbin/ifconfig
    >> There's a few of these I've found so far, and none of my books mentions
    >> this!!!! I thought initialy the program wasn't on the computer.

    >Ditto what this and the one from Jean-David says. Please note, on my
    >CentOS system, if the command is there somewhere, even not in my path,
    >the *locate* command always finds it.

    Not _always_, of course as the following should also be considered:

    1) the slocate database can be turned off (e.g. see /etc/updatedb.conf,
    particularly the "DAILY_UPDATE" line, which defaults to OFF in
    CentOS 4.2)

    2) The slocate database is only updated once daily. Any changes to the
    filesystem since the most recent update will not be shown by the
    locate command (a root user can force an update with the updatedb command).

    3) The set of filesystems that is indexed by slocate is configurable
    (again, in /etc/updatedb.conf).

    scott

  12. Re: ipconfig problems

    Scott Lurndal wrote:

    > Not _always_, of course as the following should also be considered:
    >
    > 1) the slocate database can be turned off (e.g. see /etc/updatedb.conf,
    > particularly the "DAILY_UPDATE" line, which defaults to OFF in
    > CentOS 4.2)
    >
    > 2) The slocate database is only updated once daily. Any changes to the
    > filesystem since the most recent update will not be shown by the
    > locate command (a root user can force an update with the updatedb command).
    >
    > 3) The set of filesystems that is indexed by slocate is configurable
    > (again, in /etc/updatedb.conf).

    How about that; learn something new every day. Thanks, Scott. During a
    fresh install, I run *updatedb* manually several times, so I never gave
    it a thought.

    --
    Ed Hurst

+ Reply to Thread