Help - SSH/FTP hanging on login - Redhat

This is a discussion on Help - SSH/FTP hanging on login - Redhat ; Hi there, I have an unusual problem and was looking for advice on where to look for the answer. I am managing a redhat 7.3 ES server and in the past few days I have been having a problem logging ...

  1. Help - SSH/FTP hanging on login

    Hi there,

    I have an unusual problem and was looking for advice on where to look
    for the answer.

    I am managing a redhat 7.3 ES server and in the past few days I have
    been having a problem logging into the server via ssh and ftp. I cannot
    get beyond the username and password.

    For example, when using SSH, I can get to the prompt for the username
    and password, but after that it just hangs; it does not matter whether
    the username is valid or not. The only way I can resolve it at the
    moment is to reboot the server.

    I have checked that the service is running, the /var/log/messages does
    not appear to say anything out of the ordinary, neither has
    /var/log/secure.

    Also "ps faux" shows that ssh is running.

    I have a firewall, but I have not touched that since the server went
    live 9 months ago.

    Lucky for me I have installed webmin so I can still acces the server.

    Any advice, information or pointers would be gratefully received.

    Thanks

    Trevor

  2. Re: Help - SSH/FTP hanging on login

    You might try examining the packet activity on both ends to
    see if it's a networking/firewall issue. For example:

    tcpdump -i eth0 port 22

    Otherwise, if you are really running 7.3: that's ancient and
    hasn't been supported for a long time. There have been numerous
    SSH bug fixes released since then.

    If you can't updgrade the OS, then you might try compiling in the
    latest www.openssh.org.

    --
    Greg

    ttsang123@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hi there,
    >
    > I have an unusual problem and was looking for advice on where to look
    > for the answer.
    >
    > I am managing a redhat 7.3 ES server and in the past few days I have
    > been having a problem logging into the server via ssh and ftp. I cannot
    > get beyond the username and password.
    >
    > For example, when using SSH, I can get to the prompt for the username
    > and password, but after that it just hangs; it does not matter whether
    > the username is valid or not. The only way I can resolve it at the
    > moment is to reboot the server.
    >
    > I have checked that the service is running, the /var/log/messages does
    > not appear to say anything out of the ordinary, neither has
    > /var/log/secure.
    >
    > Also "ps faux" shows that ssh is running.
    >
    > I have a firewall, but I have not touched that since the server went
    > live 9 months ago.
    >
    > Lucky for me I have installed webmin so I can still acces the server.
    >
    > Any advice, information or pointers would be gratefully received.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Trevor

  3. Re: Help - SSH/FTP hanging on login

    You should be able to just restart ssh (service sshd restart)
    and not reboot the server.

    There may be some changes in the RSA keys. Check $USER/.ssh/ files
    and you may have to edit the authorized_keys or known_hosts file.

    HTH

    ttsang123@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hi there,
    >
    > I have an unusual problem and was looking for advice on where to look
    > for the answer.
    >
    > I am managing a redhat 7.3 ES server and in the past few days I have
    > been having a problem logging into the server via ssh and ftp. I cannot
    > get beyond the username and password.
    >
    > For example, when using SSH, I can get to the prompt for the username
    > and password, but after that it just hangs; it does not matter whether
    > the username is valid or not. The only way I can resolve it at the
    > moment is to reboot the server.
    >
    > I have checked that the service is running, the /var/log/messages does
    > not appear to say anything out of the ordinary, neither has
    > /var/log/secure.
    >
    > Also "ps faux" shows that ssh is running.
    >
    > I have a firewall, but I have not touched that since the server went
    > live 9 months ago.
    >
    > Lucky for me I have installed webmin so I can still acces the server.
    >
    > Any advice, information or pointers would be gratefully received.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Trevor

  4. Re: Help - SSH/FTP hanging on login

    In article <1136195312.965776.53970@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.c om>,
    ttsang123@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hi there,
    >
    > I have an unusual problem and was looking for advice on where to look
    > for the answer.
    >
    > I am managing a redhat 7.3 ES server and in the past few days I have
    > been having a problem logging into the server via ssh and ftp. I cannot
    > get beyond the username and password.

    What is "redhat 7.3 ES"? There is Redhat 7.3 and there is Redhat ES - they are
    not the same thing...

    > For example, when using SSH, I can get to the prompt for the username
    > and password, but after that it just hangs; it does not matter whether
    > the username is valid or not. The only way I can resolve it at the
    > moment is to reboot the server.
    >
    > I have checked that the service is running, the /var/log/messages does
    > not appear to say anything out of the ordinary, neither has
    > /var/log/secure.
    >
    > Also "ps faux" shows that ssh is running.
    >
    > I have a firewall, but I have not touched that since the server went
    > live 9 months ago.
    >
    > Lucky for me I have installed webmin so I can still acces the server.
    >
    > Any advice, information or pointers would be gratefully received.

    Do you mean "ftp" or "sftp"? If you're unable to login with ssh/sftp then I
    would suspect a problem with the the ssh subsystem.

    If you really mean ssh and ftp, there is a bigger problem.

    Does your system use NIS, NIS+ or LDAP to get user information? Do you have any
    full filesystems (/var)? Did PAM somehow get broken? Is it all users or a
    particular user (or group of users)? Can you login as root at the physical
    console?

    There are lots of possibilities - hopefully these ideas might help...

    Kevin
    --
    Unix Guy Consulting, LLC
    Unix and Linux Automation, Shell, Perl and CGI scripting

+ Reply to Thread