stupid question - what is the command to check OS 32 bit versus 64 bit.. thanks - Redhat

This is a discussion on stupid question - what is the command to check OS 32 bit versus 64 bit.. thanks - Redhat ; What is the command to check the OS level? thanks...

  1. stupid question - what is the command to check OS 32 bit versus 64 bit.. thanks

    What is the command to check the OS level?

    thanks

  2. Re: stupid question - what is the command to check OS 32 bit versus 64 bit.. thanks

    Got it thanks... uname

  3. Re: stupid question - what is the command to check OS 32 bit versus64 bit.. thanks

    johndesp@gmail.com wrote:
    > What is the command to check the OS level?
    > thanks

    os level = runlevel.

    $ runlevel
    N 3
    --

    Kernel string (version and patch)?
    $ uname -a

    Distro ?
    $ cat /etc/*release*
    -------

    Important guides #1...#6.
    http://linux1.no/node/1156

    Cheers,
    moma
    http://www.futuredesktop.org/hpc_linux.html

  4. Re: stupid question - what is the command to check OS 32 bit versus64 bit.. thanks

    moma wrote (in part):
    > johndesp@gmail.com wrote:
    >
    >>What is the command to check the OS level?
    >>thanks
    >>

    > os level = runlevel.
    >
    > $ runlevel
    > N 3

    On mine it says:

    $ /sbin/runlevel
    3 5

    As far as I know, I am running _only_ at runlevel 5 (XFree85, GNOME,
    metacity). I just checked and none of the 6 virtual consoles are logged in,
    though they are all sitting doing the login: prompt. Is this why it says 3
    as well as 5?

    ^^-^^ 07:30:01 up 3 days, 22:16, 3 users, load average: 4.22, 4.23, 4.19

  5. Re: stupid question - what is the command to check OS 32 bit versus 64 bit.. thanks

    On 2006-01-02, Jean-David Beyer wrote:

    >> $ runlevel
    >> N 3

    > On mine it says:
    >
    > $ /sbin/runlevel
    > 3 5
    >
    > As far as I know, I am running _only_ at runlevel 5 (XFree85, GNOME,
    > metacity). I just checked and none of the 6 virtual consoles are logged in,
    > though they are all sitting doing the login: prompt. Is this why it says 3
    > as well as 5?

    The runlevel command shows both the previous and the current runlevels. I
    suspect that when your system boots it passes through runlevel 3 before
    going to runlevel 5.

    --

    John (john@os2.dhs.org)

  6. Re: stupid question - what is the command to check OS 32 bit versus64 bit.. thanks

    John Thompson wrote:
    > On 2006-01-02, Jean-David Beyer wrote:
    >

    >>>$ runlevel
    >>>N 3

    >>On mine it says:
    >>
    >>$ /sbin/runlevel
    >>3 5
    >>
    >>As far as I know, I am running _only_ at runlevel 5 (XFree85, GNOME,
    >>metacity). I just checked and none of the 6 virtual consoles are logged in,
    >>though they are all sitting doing the login: prompt. Is this why it says 3
    >>as well as 5?

    > The runlevel command shows both the previous and the current runlevels. I
    > suspect that when your system boots it passes through runlevel 3 before
    > going to runlevel 5.

    It definately does pass through run level three (or something like it)
    before going to run level 5. It must be at some run level while going
    through all that stuff in /etc/rc.d and /etc/rc.d/init.d. Might as well be
    run level 3.

    ^^-^^ 17:35:00 up 5 days, 8:21, 4 users, load average: 4.24, 4.23, 4.18

  7. Re: stupid question - what is the command to check OS 32 bit versus 64 bit.. thanks

    On Tue, 03 Jan 2006 17:37:46 -0500, Jean-David Beyer wrote:

    > John Thompson wrote:

    >>>On mine it says:
    >>>
    >>>$ /sbin/runlevel
    >>>3 5
    >>>
    >>>As far as I know, I am running _only_ at runlevel 5 (XFree85, GNOME,
    >>>metacity). I just checked and none of the 6 virtual consoles are logged
    >>>in, though they are all sitting doing the login: prompt. Is this why it
    >>>says 3 as well as 5?

    >> The runlevel command shows both the previous and the current runlevels.
    >> I suspect that when your system boots it passes through runlevel 3
    >> before going to runlevel 5.
    >>

    > It definately does pass through run level three (or something like it)
    > before going to run level 5. It must be at some run level while going
    > through all that stuff in /etc/rc.d and /etc/rc.d/init.d. Might as well
    > be run level 3.

    The different runlevels should have nothing to do with each other. You can
    have services loaded in a lower runlevel that aren't loaded in higher
    ones... after all runlevel 6 is a shutdown.

    Is the previous run level defined as the runlevel at last boot or the last
    runlevel that was used that is different than the current run level?

    Does runlevel ever display "5 5"?