login incorrect - Redhat

This is a discussion on login incorrect - Redhat ; I created a new user and passwd'ed it, but I was unable to log in through several repeated attempts (ie. recreating user, chaging password etc. ) This is on redhat 7.3 with PAM enabled. What else do i have to ...

  1. login incorrect

    I created a new user and passwd'ed it, but I was unable to log in
    through several repeated attempts (ie. recreating user, chaging
    password etc. ) This is on redhat 7.3 with PAM enabled. What else do i
    have to do to get this working? Thanks.

    $useradd -d /home/me -g /home/me -s /bin/bash -m me ("me" group
    exists)
    [root@qa]$su me
    [me@qa]$
    [me@qa]$exit
    [root@qa]$passwd me
    [root@qa]$su me
    [me@qa]$
    [me@qa]$exit
    [root@qa]$exit
    [thee@qa]$
    [thee@qa]$login me
    Password:*****
    Login incorrect
    Password:*****
    Login incorrect

    [root@qa]$cat /etc/passwd | grep "me"
    me:x:501:503:Generic Sudo User:/home/me:/bin/bash
    [root@qa]$cat /etc/shadow | grep "me"
    me:$1$x1J564kF$F3nVvFwAnHW79kjfoWhXQ.:13131:0:9999 9:7:::
    [root@qa]$cat /etc/gshadow | grep "me"
    me:!::
    [root@qa]$cat /etc/pam.d/login
    #%PAM-1.0
    auth required /lib/security/pam_securetty.so
    auth required /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth
    auth required /lib/security/pam_nologin.so
    account required /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth
    password required /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth
    session required /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth
    session optional /lib/security/pam_console.so
    [root@qa]$cat /etc/pam.d/passwd
    #%PAM-1.0
    auth required /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth
    account required /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth
    password required /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth
    [root@qa]$cat /etc/pam.d/system-auth
    #%PAM-1.0
    # This file is auto-generated.
    auth required /lib/security/pam_env.so
    auth sufficient /lib/security/pam_unix.so likeauth nullok
    auth required /lib/security/pam_deny.so

    account required /lib/security/pam_unix.so

    password required /lib/security/pam_cracklib.so retry=3 type=
    password sufficient /lib/security/pam_unix.so nullok use_authtok
    md5 shadow
    password required /lib/security/pam_deny.so

    session required /lib/security/pam_limits.so
    session required /lib/security/pam_unix.so

  2. Re: login incorrect

    Frustrato wrote:

    > I created a new user and passwd'ed it, but I was unable to log in
    > through several repeated attempts (ie. recreating user, chaging
    > password etc. ) This is on redhat 7.3 with PAM enabled. What else do i
    > have to do to get this working? Thanks.
    >

    > $useradd -d /home/me -g /home/me -s /bin/bash -m me ("me" group
    > exists)
    > [root@qa]$su me
    > [me@qa]$
    > [me@qa]$exit
    > [root@qa]$passwd me
    > [root@qa]$su me
    > [me@qa]$
    > [me@qa]$exit
    > [root@qa]$exit
    > [thee@qa]$

    You need to log out the user thee first. If your in a GUI session and using
    an terminal then try pressing the three key combo of Ctrl+Alt+F1 [to F6]
    first then try logging in as the user me

    --
    "A personal computer is called a personal computer because it's yours,
    Anything that runs on that computer, you should have control over."

+ Reply to Thread