cygwin + ssh + VPN very slow - Redhat

This is a discussion on cygwin + ssh + VPN very slow - Redhat ; >From home I have a VPN tunnel connection to the network back at the office. At home I use cygwin on my XP box and through the VPN tunnel I am successful in opening up an XTERM connection to a ...

  1. cygwin + ssh + VPN very slow

    >From home I have a VPN tunnel connection to the network back at the
    office.

    At home I use cygwin on my XP box and through the VPN tunnel I am
    successful in opening up an XTERM connection to a new 64 bit, redhat
    LINUX computer in the office. To start the xterm I use

    $ startxwin.bat

    In the xterm that pops up I type

    $ ssh -Y user@computer_name

    I am successful in starting a graphical application in the xterm. The
    problem is though that the graphical application runs really slow. A
    gui button push takes many seconds to be implemented.

    I used the "top" command and saw that at the moment no processes were
    using any CPU cycles and there seemed to be lot's of memory avaliable.

    If I on the other hand connect to a win2003 server in the the office
    using windows remote desktop, the same GUI application running on the
    windows server runs much, much faster.

    I think the VPN tunnel is fine but for some reason VPN packets to and
    from the LINUX box seem to have a huge delay.

    Our system admin seem to think it is a bug in LINUX redhat when
    connections are through a VPN tunnel.

    Has anybody also experienced such problems?

    Any suggestions?

    thanks!

  2. Re: cygwin + ssh + VPN very slow

    On Tue, 13 Dec 2005 10:27:04 -0800, jeanluc wrote:

    >>From home I have a VPN tunnel connection to the network back at the

    > office.
    >
    > At home I use cygwin on my XP box and through the VPN tunnel I am
    > successful in opening up an XTERM connection to a new 64 bit, redhat
    > LINUX computer in the office. To start the xterm I use
    >
    > $ startxwin.bat
    >
    > In the xterm that pops up I type
    >
    > $ ssh -Y user@computer_name
    >
    > I am successful in starting a graphical application in the xterm. The
    > problem is though that the graphical application runs really slow. A
    > gui button push takes many seconds to be implemented.
    >
    > I used the "top" command and saw that at the moment no processes were
    > using any CPU cycles and there seemed to be lot's of memory avaliable.
    >
    > If I on the other hand connect to a win2003 server in the the office
    > using windows remote desktop, the same GUI application running on the
    > windows server runs much, much faster.
    >
    > I think the VPN tunnel is fine but for some reason VPN packets to and
    > from the LINUX box seem to have a huge delay.
    >
    > Our system admin seem to think it is a bug in LINUX redhat when
    > connections are through a VPN tunnel.
    >
    > Has anybody also experienced such problems?
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    >
    > thanks!

    The problem may be Cygwin, it's pretty slow. Try running Linux on your
    home box, the performance will be much better then Cygwin.

  3. Re: cygwin + ssh + VPN very slow

    General Schvantzkoph wrote:

    > The problem may be Cygwin, it's pretty slow. Try running Linux on your
    > home box, the performance will be much better then Cygwin.

    Would commercial X-terminal software running on my XP box such as
    Exceed be much faster than cygwin?

  4. Re: cygwin + ssh + VPN very slow

    On Tue, 13 Dec 2005 12:28:24 -0800, jeanluc wrote:

    > General Schvantzkoph wrote:
    >>
    >> The problem may be Cygwin, it's pretty slow. Try running Linux on your
    >> home box, the performance will be much better then Cygwin.

    > Would commercial X-terminal software running on my XP box such as Exceed
    > be much faster than cygwin?

    I have used Exceed, X-Win32 and X-cygwin... in my experience X-cygwin has
    the best performance of the three.

  5. Re: cygwin + ssh + VPN very slow

    jeanluc wrote:
    >>From home I have a VPN tunnel connection to the network back at the

    > office.
    >
    > At home I use cygwin on my XP box and through the VPN tunnel I am
    > successful in opening up an XTERM connection to a new 64 bit, redhat
    > LINUX computer in the office. To start the xterm I use
    >
    > $ startxwin.bat
    >
    > In the xterm that pops up I type
    >
    > $ ssh -Y user@computer_name

    Firstly I am not sure why you need VPN. If your office machine is not
    firewalled or at least ssh access is not blocked, you just just ssh into
    it from your home machine (I recommend putty as the win32 ssh client),
    and enable X forwarding. And you run any X server on your home machine.
    Then problem solved.

    Even if you cannot directly ssh into your office machine, but you can
    ssh into your company firewall them jump to your office machine. You can
    still achieve this without VPN. What you need to do, is to use ssh proxy
    command to redirect everything to your linux machine at office. Here is
    a good read,
    http://www.hackinglinuxexposed.com/a.../20040830.html

    The last chance you need vpn, I would recommend OpenVPN. It is easy to
    set up, and very secure, crossplatform.

    As for X server, I personally prefer Xming,
    http://wiki.freedesktop.org/wiki/Xming
    It is lightweight. It doesn't depend on cygwin enviroment (this is
    sometime useful as only one version of cygwin1.dll can be run on the
    system; so if you have several programs relying on cygwin and each only
    works with different version of cygwin, you are then out of luck). I
    found the commbination of putty+Xming is more flexible than
    openssh+cygwin/X.

    HTH,

    KB
    --
    NT stands for New Technology. Windowds NT(NT4.x)/2K(NT5.0)/XP(NT5.1)
    was built on NT Technology. Anyone understands what "new" means, so

  6. Re: cygwin + ssh + VPN very slow

    jeanluc wrote:
    >>From home I have a VPN tunnel connection to the network back at the

    > office.
    >
    > At home I use cygwin on my XP box and through the VPN tunnel I am
    > successful in opening up an XTERM connection to a new 64 bit, redhat
    > LINUX computer in the office. To start the xterm I use
    >
    > $ startxwin.bat
    >
    > In the xterm that pops up I type
    >
    > $ ssh -Y user@computer_name
    >
    > I am successful in starting a graphical application in the xterm. The
    > problem is though that the graphical application runs really slow. A
    > gui button push takes many seconds to be implemented.
    >
    > I used the "top" command and saw that at the moment no processes were
    > using any CPU cycles and there seemed to be lot's of memory avaliable.
    >
    > If I on the other hand connect to a win2003 server in the the office
    > using windows remote desktop, the same GUI application running on the
    > windows server runs much, much faster.
    >
    > I think the VPN tunnel is fine but for some reason VPN packets to and
    > from the LINUX box seem to have a huge delay.
    >
    > Our system admin seem to think it is a bug in LINUX redhat when
    > connections are through a VPN tunnel.
    >
    > Has anybody also experienced such problems?
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    >
    > thanks!

    Yes, I was never able to get useable cygwin erformance
    over a medium speed DSL
    between RHEL 3 and Win XP. I could not make the keyboard work.
    Mouse and screen were OK.

    The RDP protocol is much more efficient than the X protocol.
    RDP will always faster or use less bandwidth than X. VNC works better
    than X not as well as RDP. Try VNC. I do not think the VPN
    makes any difference.

  7. Re: cygwin + ssh + VPN very slow

    > The RDP protocol is much more efficient than the X protocol.
    > RDP will always faster or use less bandwidth than X. VNC works better
    > than X not as well as RDP. Try VNC.

    I know there is a linux port for the RDP client, but I am not aware of
    any linux port of the RDP *server* (I highly doubt there will be one as
    the RDP server relies too much on the Windoze internals). For the
    original poster's case, on the server side he has a linux machine.

    Cheers,

    KB
    --
    NT stands for New Technology. Windowds NT(NT4.x)/2K(NT5.0)/XP(NT5.1)
    was built on NT Technology. Anyone understands what "new" means, so
    everyone knows M$ Windoze NT/2K/XP/Whatever is a *real* innovation.

+ Reply to Thread