Fising Missing Dependencies - Redhat

This is a discussion on Fising Missing Dependencies - Redhat ; I am trying to update Gnome from 2.1.0 to 2.1.12 using the nr-* repositories but keep getting the error message: --> Processing Dependency: libgsf-1.so.1 for package: wv2 --> Finished Dependency Resolution Error: Missing Dependency: libgsf-1.so.1 is needed by package wv2 ...

  1. Fising Missing Dependencies

    I am trying to update Gnome from 2.1.0 to 2.1.12 using the nr-*
    repositories but keep getting the error message:

    --> Processing Dependency: libgsf-1.so.1 for package: wv2
    --> Finished Dependency Resolution
    Error: Missing Dependency: libgsf-1.so.1 is needed by package wv2

    I tried to install libgsf-1.so.1 by enabling all repositories, but it
    failed also.

    It seems to be a problem with the repository itself. How do go about
    getting this fixed?

    Thanks
    Whitewater

  2. Re: Fising Missing Dependencies

    On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 18:54:05 +0000, Whitewater wrote this:

    > I am trying to update Gnome from 2.1.0 to 2.1.12 using the nr-*
    > repositories but keep getting the error message:
    >
    > --> Processing Dependency: libgsf-1.so.1 for package: wv2 --> Finished
    > Dependency Resolution
    > Error: Missing Dependency: libgsf-1.so.1 is needed by package wv2
    >
    > I tried to install libgsf-1.so.1 by enabling all repositories, but it
    > failed also.
    >
    > It seems to be a problem with the repository itself. How do go about
    > getting this fixed?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Whitewater

    Do a search (google) for libgsf-1.so which should id a repository and
    containing package for that library. Either install it individually or
    add the repository although you may need to carefully sequence the
    repositories.

    Before you try a version for a different OS look for the RH version.
    http://rpmfind.net/linux/RPM/suse/9....-115.i586.html

  3. Re: Fising Missing Dependencies

    On Tue, 13 Dec 2005 16:26:35 GMT, noi wrote:

    >On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 18:54:05 +0000, Whitewater wrote this:
    >
    >> I am trying to update Gnome from 2.1.0 to 2.1.12 using the nr-*
    >> repositories but keep getting the error message:
    >>
    >> --> Processing Dependency: libgsf-1.so.1 for package: wv2 --> Finished
    >> Dependency Resolution
    >> Error: Missing Dependency: libgsf-1.so.1 is needed by package wv2
    >>
    >> I tried to install libgsf-1.so.1 by enabling all repositories, but it
    >> failed also.
    >>
    >> It seems to be a problem with the repository itself. How do go about
    >> getting this fixed?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >> Whitewater

    >Do a search (google) for libgsf-1.so which should id a repository and
    >containing package for that library. Either install it individually or
    >add the repository although you may need to carefully sequence the
    >repositories.
    >
    >Before you try a version for a different OS look for the RH version.
    >http://rpmfind.net/linux/RPM/suse/9....-115.i586.html

    I found the newest version of libgsf for fedora and downloaded it.
    When I try to install it, there are quite a few dependencies needed by
    it. I am unable to locate the repositories for the dependencies
    though.

    I downloaded the rpm for apt. I've never used it to update the system.
    Would it be better to use apt than yum? What command would I use?

    Thanks
    Whitewater

  4. Re: Fising Missing Dependencies

    On Tue, 13 Dec 2005 21:19:09 +0000, Whitewater wrote this:

    > On Tue, 13 Dec 2005 16:26:35 GMT, noi wrote:
    >
    >>On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 18:54:05 +0000, Whitewater wrote this:
    >>
    >>> I am trying to update Gnome from 2.1.0 to 2.1.12 using the nr-*
    >>> repositories but keep getting the error message:
    >>>
    >>> --> Processing Dependency: libgsf-1.so.1 for package: wv2 --> Finished
    >>> Dependency Resolution
    >>> Error: Missing Dependency: libgsf-1.so.1 is needed by package wv2
    >>>
    >>> I tried to install libgsf-1.so.1 by enabling all repositories, but it
    >>> failed also.
    >>>
    >>> It seems to be a problem with the repository itself. How do go about
    >>> getting this fixed?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks
    >>> Whitewater

    >>Do a search (google) for libgsf-1.so which should id a repository and
    >>containing package for that library. Either install it individually or
    >>add the repository although you may need to carefully sequence the
    >>repositories.
    >>
    >>Before you try a version for a different OS look for the RH version.
    >>http://rpmfind.net/linux/RPM/suse/9....-115.i586.html

    > I found the newest version of libgsf for fedora and downloaded it. When I
    > try to install it, there are quite a few dependencies needed by it. I am
    > unable to locate the repositories for the dependencies though.
    >
    > I downloaded the rpm for apt. I've never used it to update the system.
    > Would it be better to use apt than yum? What command would I use?

    Did you download the libgsf-devel and install that ? That's the problem
    trying to install cutting edge versions, you may need to install different
    versions of existing software that may or not be compatible.

    Try the libgsf-devel version and see if that clears up some dependencies,
    otherwise you'll have to "yum search" and google to fix the dependencies
    or wait for FC5's implementation of Gnome 2.12.2.

    I see Ubuntu has Gnome 2.12.2 and Gnome.org has a liveCD for Gnome 2.12.2.

    Sorry don't know Apt.

  5. Re: Fising Missing Dependencies

    On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 03:34:04 GMT, noi wrote:
    CLIP

    >Did you download the libgsf-devel and install that ? That's the problem
    >trying to install cutting edge versions, you may need to install different
    >versions of existing software that may or not be compatible.
    >
    >Try the libgsf-devel version and see if that clears up some dependencies,
    >otherwise you'll have to "yum search" and google to fix the dependencies
    >or wait for FC5's implementation of Gnome 2.12.2.
    >
    >I see Ubuntu has Gnome 2.12.2 and Gnome.org has a liveCD for Gnome 2.12.2.
    >
    >Sorry don't know Apt.

    I downloaded Ubuntu and it's working perfectly now, after I figured
    out the what root password was. I like the fact that it boots faster
    than Fedora 4 did.. It's running on a pentium III 600 mhz w/256 mb
    ram.

    Thanks
    Whitewater

  6. Re: Fising Missing Dependencies

    On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 17:59:59 +0000, Whitewater wrote this:

    > On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 03:34:04 GMT, noi wrote: CLIP
    >>
    >>Did you download the libgsf-devel and install that ? That's the
    >>problem trying to install cutting edge versions, you may need to install
    >>different versions of existing software that may or not be compatible.
    >>
    >>Try the libgsf-devel version and see if that clears up some dependencies,
    >>otherwise you'll have to "yum search" and google to fix the dependencies
    >>or wait for FC5's implementation of Gnome 2.12.2.
    >>
    >>I see Ubuntu has Gnome 2.12.2 and Gnome.org has a liveCD for Gnome
    >>2.12.2.
    >>
    >>Sorry don't know Apt.

    > I downloaded Ubuntu and it's working perfectly now, after I figured out
    > the what root password was. I like the fact that it boots faster than
    > Fedora 4 did.. It's running on a pentium III 600 mhz w/256 mb ram.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Whitewater

    Congrats, glad to help. Sorry you've left the RH/FC distros. I
    found Ubuntu very easy to use as a desktop but harder to configure as a
    server.

  7. Re: Fising Missing Dependencies

    On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 20:07:31 GMT, noi wrote:

    >On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 17:59:59 +0000, Whitewater wrote this:
    >
    >> On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 03:34:04 GMT, noi wrote: CLIP
    >>>
    >>>Did you download the libgsf-devel and install that ? That's the
    >>>problem trying to install cutting edge versions, you may need to install
    >>>different versions of existing software that may or not be compatible.
    >>>
    >>>Try the libgsf-devel version and see if that clears up some dependencies,
    >>>otherwise you'll have to "yum search" and google to fix the dependencies
    >>>or wait for FC5's implementation of Gnome 2.12.2.
    >>>
    >>>I see Ubuntu has Gnome 2.12.2 and Gnome.org has a liveCD for Gnome
    >>>2.12.2.
    >>>
    >>>Sorry don't know Apt.

    >> I downloaded Ubuntu and it's working perfectly now, after I figured out
    >> the what root password was. I like the fact that it boots faster than
    >> Fedora 4 did.. It's running on a pentium III 600 mhz w/256 mb ram.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >> Whitewater

    >Congrats, glad to help. Sorry you've left the RH/FC distros. I
    >found Ubuntu very easy to use as a desktop but harder to configure as a
    >server.

    That's the one thing I use linux for.. a webserver, database server,
    ftp & email, for developement purposes. I can install XAMPP to take
    care of most of it. It's easy because it's configured to work together
    'out of box.' All I have to do is get dovecot installed and working
    and I'm good to go.

    I also notices that there are no newsgroups on my news server for
    ubunto/kubunto.

    Thanks again
    Whitewater

  8. Re: Fising Missing Dependencies

    On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 20:07:31 GMT, noi wrote:

    >On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 17:59:59 +0000, Whitewater wrote this:
    >
    >> On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 03:34:04 GMT, noi wrote: CLIP
    >>>
    >>>Did you download the libgsf-devel and install that ? That's the
    >>>problem trying to install cutting edge versions, you may need to install
    >>>different versions of existing software that may or not be compatible.
    >>>
    >>>Try the libgsf-devel version and see if that clears up some dependencies,
    >>>otherwise you'll have to "yum search" and google to fix the dependencies
    >>>or wait for FC5's implementation of Gnome 2.12.2.
    >>>
    >>>I see Ubuntu has Gnome 2.12.2 and Gnome.org has a liveCD for Gnome
    >>>2.12.2.
    >>>
    >>>Sorry don't know Apt.

    >> I downloaded Ubuntu and it's working perfectly now, after I figured out
    >> the what root password was. I like the fact that it boots faster than
    >> Fedora 4 did.. It's running on a pentium III 600 mhz w/256 mb ram.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >> Whitewater

    >Congrats, glad to help. Sorry you've left the RH/FC distros. I
    >found Ubuntu very easy to use as a desktop but harder to configure as a
    >server.

    After playing around with Ubuntu, as well as a couple of other
    distributions, I have decided that Fedora is the best distribution
    available. It installs perfectly, and is easy to configure.

    Whitewater

  9. Re: Fising Missing Dependencies

    On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 10:59:43 +0000, Whitewater wrote this:

    > On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 20:07:31 GMT, noi wrote:
    >
    >>On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 17:59:59 +0000, Whitewater wrote this:
    >>
    >>> On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 03:34:04 GMT, noi wrote: CLIP

    >>> I downloaded Ubuntu and it's working perfectly now, after I figured out
    >>> the what root password was. I like the fact that it boots faster than
    >>> Fedora 4 did.. It's running on a pentium III 600 mhz w/256 mb ram.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks
    >>> Whitewater

    >>Congrats, glad to help. Sorry you've left the RH/FC distros. I found
    >>Ubuntu very easy to use as a desktop but harder to configure as a
    >>server.

    > After playing around with Ubuntu, as well as a couple of other
    > distributions, I have decided that Fedora is the best distribution
    > available. It installs perfectly, and is easy to configure.
    >
    > Whitewater

    I tried FC4 on my PIII 933 256ram and I didn't like it. Numerous caveats,
    compiling source code and bottom line Nautilus issues. I went to SUSE9.3
    after fighting through the install disks, I find it easy to use and
    configure. I have issues with S9.3 nfs server but otherwise it's rock
    solid and easy to use.

    Still running a FC3 system but I'll move it to FC5 x86-64 final when
    available.

+ Reply to Thread