unixODBC -- can't make it work - Redhat

This is a discussion on unixODBC -- can't make it work - Redhat ; Help please. I'm trying to use PHP on a REDHAT linux Enterprise 4 machine to access MS SQL Server on a Windows Server 2003 machine through an ODBC connection. I've read the manuals and searched the Internet and tried everything ...

  1. unixODBC -- can't make it work

    Help please.

    I'm trying to use PHP on a REDHAT linux Enterprise 4 machine to access
    MS SQL Server on a Windows Server 2003 machine through an ODBC
    connection.

    I've read the manuals and searched the Internet and tried everything I
    can think of, but I know I'm missing something. Other people seem to
    be doing it with no problem.

    When I try to reinstall unixODBC using Red Hat's own rpm version I get
    the message that it is already installed.

    But I don't seem to know how to use it to make my ODBC connection.

    ODBCConf doesn't see any other ODBC specific drivers (Only sees the
    driver for Postgres), and PHP commands without the unixODBC Connection
    fail.

    Got it working fine on Windows XP using correct drivers, but I need it
    to work from my linux server!

    Advice and assistance will be very much appreciated .....

    Mike

  2. Re: unixODBC -- can't make it work

    mlpomeroy@earthlink.net wrote:
    > I'm trying to use PHP on a REDHAT linux Enterprise 4 machine to access
    > MS SQL Server on a Windows Server 2003 machine through an ODBC
    > connection.
    >
    > I've read the manuals and searched the Internet and tried everything I
    > can think of, but I know I'm missing something.

    You are missing the ODBC driver for MS SQL Server. I don't know if such
    a thing even exists for RHEL4.
    UnixODBC is just the ODBC driver manager, you need to install a separate
    database-specific driver for each DB server type.

    > ODBCConf doesn't see any other ODBC specific drivers (Only sees the
    > driver for Postgres)

    Do you _have_ any other drivers installed?

    --
    Markku Kolkka
    markku.kolkka@iki.fi

  3. Re: unixODBC -- can't make it work

    Maybe; http://dag.wieers.com/packages/shellsql/

    --
    "A personal computer is called a personal computer because it's yours,
    Anything that runs on that computer, you should have control over."

+ Reply to Thread