Redhat 9 - dialup modem - Redhat

This is a discussion on Redhat 9 - dialup modem - Redhat ; I have loaded Redhat 9 and my only problem is getting modem to initialize in KPPP. Is there a script I need to accomplish this. I see some listed but do not know the order to use them. Any help ...

  1. Redhat 9 - dialup modem

    I have loaded Redhat 9 and my only problem is getting modem to initialize in
    KPPP. Is there a script I need to accomplish this. I see some listed but
    do not know the order to use them. Any help would be appreciated.

    Thanks,

  2. Re: Redhat 9 - dialup modem

    William A. Fain wrote:
    > I have loaded Redhat 9 and my only problem is getting modem to initialize in
    > KPPP. Is there a script I need to accomplish this. I see some listed but
    > do not know the order to use them. Any help would be appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks,

    Is your modem one of the common, cheap "Winmodems" - those are designed
    to work only under Windows, with the driver software doing most of the
    work. Your best bet is to get a "hardware" modem, such as one with the
    Lucent (or Agere) Venus chipset. Most Linux distros will recognize and
    fire those up right away. With Redhat 9, I would upgrade to one of the
    Fedora versions, or one of the Red Hat Enterprise clones such as CentOS
    or White Box.

  3. Re: Redhat 9 - dialup modem

    Bruce Coryell wrote:
    > William A. Fain wrote:
    >
    >> I have loaded Redhat 9 and my only problem is getting modem to
    >> initialize in KPPP. Is there a script I need to accomplish this. I
    >> see some listed but do not know the order to use them. Any help would
    >> be appreciated.
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>

    > Is your modem one of the common, cheap "Winmodems" - those are designed
    > to work only under Windows, with the driver software doing most of the
    > work. Your best bet is to get a "hardware" modem, such as one with the
    > Lucent (or Agere) Venus chipset. Most Linux distros will recognize and
    > fire those up right away. With Redhat 9, I would upgrade to one of the
    > Fedora versions, or one of the Red Hat Enterprise clones such as CentOS
    > or White Box.

    Why not just get a real modem and be done with it. U.S.Robotics 5610B is a
    real PCI modem. Also, it won't annoy your CPU when it is running.

    And while one might run RHL9 in a system that is already up and running it,
    why, oh why, install it fresh on a system? If it matters, get something like
    RHEL 4 or CentOS 4.2, or White Box, or something if you want stability, or
    Fedora Core (whatever it is up to) if you want bleeding edge? RHL9 was
    discontinued a year or two ago.

    ^^-^^ 09:19:59 up 12 days, 19:50, 5 users, load average: 4.36, 4.28, 4.18

+ Reply to Thread