RHES custom Q - Redhat

This is a discussion on RHES custom Q - Redhat ; Hello All- I have a strong background in sfwr development, but almost no unix experience. I have inherited a Linux server, onto which I and a couple cohorts will be putting a custom server app we are building. My associate, ...

  1. RHES custom Q

    Hello All-

    I have a strong background in sfwr development, but almost no unix
    experience. I have inherited a Linux server, onto which I and a couple
    cohorts will be putting a custom server app we are building.

    My associate, a long time UNIX admin, spent a bit of time setting
    things up. He sent me voluminous notes on a lot of detail (surprise).

    I think the OS is Red Hat Enterprise 2 - the binaries appear to be
    about 2 years old. How can you tell for sure?

    A young programmer learning ruby is building some pages using rails.
    He and I did not know where a safe place to put the new app would be, so
    I picked what I thought to be an ok choice. A new folder in /home. The
    app has an entry in the httpd.conf which points an alias to that
    directory. Is that a reasonable choice?

    Lastly, I hear stories about PHP vulnerabilities. Any notions about
    ruby on rails security?

    thanks for any sage words

  2. Re: RHES custom Q

    one man army wrote:
    > Hello All-
    >
    > I have a strong background in sfwr development, but almost no unix
    > experience. I have inherited a Linux server, onto which I and a couple
    > cohorts will be putting a custom server app we are building.
    >
    > My associate, a long time UNIX admin, spent a bit of time setting
    > things up. He sent me voluminous notes on a lot of detail (surprise).
    >
    > I think the OS is Red Hat Enterprise 2 - the binaries appear to be
    > about 2 years old. How can you tell for sure?

    If you mean Red Hat Enterprise Linux 2.1, one way would be to hit
    Ctl-Alt-PF[1-6]. This will give you a message of the day (not the one in
    /etc/motd) that will tell you what you have, followed by the

    login:

    prompt. Mine, running a current RHEL 3 ES, says:

    Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES release 3 (Taroon Update 6)
    Kernel 2.4.21-37.ELsmp on an i686

    > A young programmer learning ruby is building some pages using rails.
    > He and I did not know where a safe place to put the new app would be, so
    > I picked what I thought to be an ok choice. A new folder in /home. The
    > app has an entry in the httpd.conf which points an alias to that
    > directory. Is that a reasonable choice?

    I never heard of ruby or rails, but you can put the source anywhere you want
    to do your developing in. I suggest /home/theUserName/playpen (pick a better
    name than "playpen"). Do your developping and testing there.

    Do not make a folder in /home. In the /home directory should be only
    directories for users, and a few other system files like

    drwxr-xr-x 7 root root 4096 Jan 24 2003 .
    drwxr-xr-x 26 root root 4096 Dec 5 01:07 ..
    -rw------- 1 root root 0 Dec 23 2004 aquota.group
    -rw------- 1 root root 7168 Dec 1 08:48 aquota.user
    drwx------ 2 root root 16384 Mar 2 2004 lost+found

    You might wish to look at the File System Hierarchy Standard for guidance.

    http://www.pathname.com/fhs/

    > Lastly, I hear stories about PHP vulnerabilities. Any notions about
    > ruby on rails security?

    I never heard of PHP either.

    ^^-^^ 09:05:00 up 8 days, 19:35, 4 users, load average: 4.42, 4.29, 4.20

+ Reply to Thread