Need help with xorg - Redhat

This is a discussion on Need help with xorg - Redhat ; This question has probably been asked here before, but I have been unable to find an answer. Perhaps you could point me to an appropriate FAQ. My display/window-manager will not start up properly on the local monitor, but looks good ...

  1. Need help with xorg

    This question has probably been asked here before, but I have been
    unable to find an answer. Perhaps you could point me to an appropriate FAQ.

    My display/window-manager will not start up properly on the local
    monitor, but looks good when accessed remotely via VNC.

    The hardware is AMD 1900+ with 512MB RAM and 40GB disk.
    Video card is Trident Blade 3D (but I have tried several others with
    similar results).

    OS is Centos Release 4.2 (but FC4 behaved similarly). I switched to
    Centos from FC4 to get a more stable environment, and the display worked
    as expected for several months, then began behaving as it had under FC4.

    I have run system-config-display repeatedly, trying different options.
    BTW, the display looks great while running system-config-display, but
    complains about the xserver at the completion of that process.

    Changing preference from GNOME to KDE makes no difference.

    I am probably missing something obvious, but I cannot see it at this
    time. All help is appreciated.

    Thanks,
    Sid

    reply to sid AT sidwood DOT ca

  2. Re: Need help with xorg

    On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 17:04:30 -0500, Sid wrote this:

    > This question has probably been asked here before, but I have been unable
    > to find an answer. Perhaps you could point me to an appropriate FAQ.
    >
    > My display/window-manager will not start up properly on the local monitor,
    > but looks good when accessed remotely via VNC.
    >
    > The hardware is AMD 1900+ with 512MB RAM and 40GB disk. Video card is
    > Trident Blade 3D (but I have tried several others with similar results).
    >
    > OS is Centos Release 4.2 (but FC4 behaved similarly). I switched to Centos
    > from FC4 to get a more stable environment, and the display worked as
    > expected for several months, then began behaving as it had under FC4.
    >
    > I have run system-config-display repeatedly, trying different options.
    > BTW, the display looks great while running system-config-display, but
    > complains about the xserver at the completion of that process.
    >
    > Changing preference from GNOME to KDE makes no difference.
    >
    > I am probably missing something obvious, but I cannot see it at this time.
    > All help is appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Sid
    >
    > reply to sid AT sidwood DOT ca

    Try killall -9 nautilus. Any error messages in /var/log/messages or
    /var/log/Xorg.0.log ?

  3. Re: Need help with xorg

    noi wrote:
    > On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 17:04:30 -0500, Sid wrote this:
    >

    >>This question has probably been asked here before, but I have been unable
    >>to find an answer. Perhaps you could point me to an appropriate FAQ.
    >>
    >>My display/window-manager will not start up properly on the local monitor,
    >>but looks good when accessed remotely via VNC.
    >>
    >>The hardware is AMD 1900+ with 512MB RAM and 40GB disk. Video card is
    >>Trident Blade 3D (but I have tried several others with similar results).
    >>
    >>OS is Centos Release 4.2 (but FC4 behaved similarly). I switched to Centos
    >>from FC4 to get a more stable environment, and the display worked as
    >>expected for several months, then began behaving as it had under FC4.
    >>
    >>I have run system-config-display repeatedly, trying different options.
    >>BTW, the display looks great while running system-config-display, but
    >>complains about the xserver at the completion of that process.
    >>
    >>Changing preference from GNOME to KDE makes no difference.
    >>
    >>I am probably missing something obvious, but I cannot see it at this time.
    >>All help is appreciated.
    >>
    >>Thanks,
    >>Sid
    >>
    >>reply to sid AT sidwood DOT ca

    > Try killall -9 nautilus. Any error messages in /var/log/messages or
    > /var/log/Xorg.0.log ?

    Nothing out of the ordinary in the logs.
    I will try killing nautilus.

    Thanks,
    Sid

  4. Re: Need help with xorg

    Sid wrote:

    > This question has probably been asked here before, but I have been
    > unable to find an answer. Perhaps you could point me to an appropriate
    > FAQ.
    >
    > My display/window-manager will not start up properly on the local
    > monitor, but looks good when accessed remotely via VNC.
    >
    > The hardware is AMD 1900+ with 512MB RAM and 40GB disk.
    > Video card is Trident Blade 3D (but I have tried several others with
    > similar results).
    >
    > OS is Centos Release 4.2 (but FC4 behaved similarly). I switched to
    > Centos from FC4 to get a more stable environment, and the display worked
    > as expected for several months, then began behaving as it had under FC4.
    >
    > I have run system-config-display repeatedly, trying different options.
    > BTW, the display looks great while running system-config-display, but
    > complains about the xserver at the completion of that process.

    Try closing out of the GUI session once back at the GUI log on screen press
    the three key combo of Ctrl+Alt+F1 and log on as root.

    Make a copy of the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file (just in case);

    cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.hold ;(you'll see why)

    Then reconfigure cleanly;

    init 3
    (wait a few seconds after the last green [OK] is displayed and hit the
    'Enter' key)

    system-config-display --reconfig

    Test by typing; startx

    When done type; init 5

    Press the three key combo of Ctrl+Alt+F1 and log off as root, when done to
    get back to the GUI logon screen press the three key combo of Ctrl+Alt+F7

    --
    "A personal computer is called a personal computer because it's yours,
    Anything that runs on that computer, you should have control over."

  5. Re: Need help with xorg

    Lenard wrote:
    > Sid wrote:
    >

    >>This question has probably been asked here before, but I have been
    >>unable to find an answer. Perhaps you could point me to an appropriate
    >>FAQ.
    >>
    >>My display/window-manager will not start up properly on the local
    >>monitor, but looks good when accessed remotely via VNC.
    >>
    >>The hardware is AMD 1900+ with 512MB RAM and 40GB disk.
    >>Video card is Trident Blade 3D (but I have tried several others with
    >>similar results).
    >>
    >>OS is Centos Release 4.2 (but FC4 behaved similarly). I switched to
    >>Centos from FC4 to get a more stable environment, and the display worked
    >>as expected for several months, then began behaving as it had under FC4.
    >>
    >>I have run system-config-display repeatedly, trying different options.
    >>BTW, the display looks great while running system-config-display, but
    >>complains about the xserver at the completion of that process.

    > Try closing out of the GUI session once back at the GUI log on screen press
    > the three key combo of Ctrl+Alt+F1 and log on as root.
    >
    > Make a copy of the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file (just in case);
    >
    > cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.hold ;(you'll see why)
    >
    > Then reconfigure cleanly;
    >
    > init 3
    > (wait a few seconds after the last green [OK] is displayed and hit the
    > 'Enter' key)
    >
    > system-config-display --reconfig
    >
    > Test by typing; startx
    >
    > When done type; init 5
    >
    > Press the three key combo of Ctrl+Alt+F1 and log off as root, when done to
    > get back to the GUI logon screen press the three key combo of Ctrl+Alt+F7

    Some improvements, but still not there yet...
    Firstly, there is no GUI session to close. If I had a working GUI
    session, I would not be going through this headache.
    Going to init 3, system-config-display -- reconfig works beautifully (as
    it always has). Startx tests the configuration; all OK.
    Back to init 5 and the strangeness returns. Screen flashes several times
    as it attempts to start X (about 2 seconds at F7, then back to F1) then
    gives up.

    What is different (as far as the GUI is concerned) between run level 3
    and run level 5? The X Gui works as expected at init 3, but not at init
    5. Could anaconda be the culprit?

  6. Re: Need help with xorg

    Sid wrote:

    > Lenard wrote:
    >> Sid wrote:
    >>

    >>>This question has probably been asked here before, but I have been
    >>>unable to find an answer. Perhaps you could point me to an appropriate
    >>>FAQ.
    >>>
    >>>My display/window-manager will not start up properly on the local
    >>>monitor, but looks good when accessed remotely via VNC.
    >>>
    >>>The hardware is AMD 1900+ with 512MB RAM and 40GB disk.
    >>>Video card is Trident Blade 3D (but I have tried several others with
    >>>similar results).
    >>>
    >>>OS is Centos Release 4.2 (but FC4 behaved similarly). I switched to
    >>>Centos from FC4 to get a more stable environment, and the display worked
    >>>as expected for several months, then began behaving as it had under FC4.
    >>>
    >>>I have run system-config-display repeatedly, trying different options.
    >>>BTW, the display looks great while running system-config-display, but
    >>>complains about the xserver at the completion of that process.

    >> Try closing out of the GUI session once back at the GUI log on screen
    >> press the three key combo of Ctrl+Alt+F1 and log on as root.
    >>
    >> Make a copy of the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file (just in case);
    >>
    >> cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.hold ;(you'll see why)
    >>
    >> Then reconfigure cleanly;
    >>
    >> init 3
    >> (wait a few seconds after the last green [OK] is displayed and hit the
    >> 'Enter' key)
    >>
    >> system-config-display --reconfig
    >>
    >> Test by typing; startx
    >>
    >> When done type; init 5
    >>
    >> Press the three key combo of Ctrl+Alt+F1 and log off as root, when done
    >> to get back to the GUI logon screen press the three key combo of
    >> Ctrl+Alt+F7
    >>

    > Some improvements, but still not there yet...
    > Firstly, there is no GUI session to close. If I had a working GUI
    > session, I would not be going through this headache.
    > Going to init 3, system-config-display -- reconfig works beautifully (as
    > it always has). Startx tests the configuration; all OK.
    > Back to init 5 and the strangeness returns. Screen flashes several times
    > as it attempts to start X (about 2 seconds at F7, then back to F1) then
    > gives up.
    >
    > What is different (as far as the GUI is concerned) between run level 3
    > and run level 5? The X Gui works as expected at init 3, but not at init
    > 5. Could anaconda be the culprit?

    Maybe..........

    Question, what does your /etc/xorg.conf file look like???? Just the
    video/monitor sections. You might want to increase the ranges yourself by
    hand. You might want to just (what I'm thinking might be the problem)
    kudzu off also (as root);

    chkconfig --levels 345 kudzu off

    --
    "A personal computer is called a personal computer because it's yours,
    Anything that runs on that computer, you should have control over."
    Andrew Moss, Microsoft's senior director of technical policy, 2005

  7. Re: Need help with xorg

    Lenard wrote:
    > Sid wrote:

    >>>Try closing out of the GUI session once back at the GUI log on screen
    >>>press the three key combo of Ctrl+Alt+F1 and log on as root.
    >>>
    >>>Make a copy of the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file (just in case);
    >>>
    >>>cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.hold ;(you'll see why)
    >>>
    >>>Then reconfigure cleanly;
    >>>
    >>>init 3
    >>>(wait a few seconds after the last green [OK] is displayed and hit the
    >>>'Enter' key)
    >>>
    >>>system-config-display --reconfig
    >>>
    >>>Test by typing; startx
    >>>
    >>>When done type; init 5
    >>>
    >>>Press the three key combo of Ctrl+Alt+F1 and log off as root, when done
    >>>to get back to the GUI logon screen press the three key combo of
    >>>Ctrl+Alt+F7
    >>>

    >>Some improvements, but still not there yet...
    >>Firstly, there is no GUI session to close. If I had a working GUI
    >>session, I would not be going through this headache.
    >>Going to init 3, system-config-display -- reconfig works beautifully (as
    >>it always has). Startx tests the configuration; all OK.
    >>Back to init 5 and the strangeness returns. Screen flashes several times
    >>as it attempts to start X (about 2 seconds at F7, then back to F1) then
    >>gives up.
    >>
    >>What is different (as far as the GUI is concerned) between run level 3
    >>and run level 5? The X Gui works as expected at init 3, but not at init
    >>5. Could anaconda be the culprit?

    > Maybe..........
    >
    > Question, what does your /etc/xorg.conf file look like???? Just the
    > video/monitor sections. You might want to increase the ranges yourself by
    > hand. You might want to just (what I'm thinking might be the problem)
    > kudzu off also (as root);
    >
    > chkconfig --levels 345 kudzu off

    After the latest reconfig, the xorg.conf contains...

    Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "Monitor0"
    VendorName "Monitor Vendor"
    ModelName "AT&T 17 in. Color Professional"
    HorizSync 30.0 - 82.0
    VertRefresh 50.0 - 160.0
    Option "dpms"
    EndSection

    Section "Device"
    Identifier "Videocard0"
    Driver "trident"
    VendorName "Videocard vendor"
    BoardName "Trident Blade3D (generic)"
    EndSection

    Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Screen0"
    Device "Videocard0"
    Monitor "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth 16
    SubSection "Display"
    Viewport 0 0
    Depth 16
    Modes "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
    EndSubSection
    EndSection

  8. Re: Need help with xorg

    Sid wrote:

    > After the latest reconfig, the xorg.conf contains...
    >
    > Section "Monitor"
    > Identifier "Monitor0"
    > VendorName "Monitor Vendor"
    > ModelName "AT&T 17 in. Color Professional"
    > HorizSync 30.0 - 82.0
    > VertRefresh 50.0 - 160.0
    > Option "dpms"
    > EndSection

    This part looks OK..........

    > Section "Device"
    > Identifier "Videocard0"
    > Driver "trident"
    > VendorName "Videocard vendor"

    VideoRam 8192

    You might want to manually add a line here like the example above, use the
    value of ram your video card has. The example is for an 8-MB card (8x1024)

    If you have a shared video RAM system then in the BIOS increase this to the
    max value allowed. And you might want to check for a BIOS update at the
    system or board manufactures site.

    > BoardName "Trident Blade3D (generic)"
    > EndSection
    >
    > Section "Screen"
    > Identifier "Screen0"
    > Device "Videocard0"
    > Monitor "Monitor0"
    > DefaultDepth 16

    Change to manually;

    DefaultDepth 24

    > SubSection "Display"
    > Viewport 0 0
    > Depth 16
    > Modes "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
    > EndSubSection

    New manually added section;

    SubSection "Display"
    Viewport 0 0
    Depth 24
    Modes "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
    EndSubSection
    > EndSection

    HTH!

    --
    "A personal computer is called a personal computer because it's yours,
    Anything that runs on that computer, you should have control over."
    Andrew Moss, Microsoft's senior director of technical policy, 2005

  9. Re: Need help with xorg

    None of this has helped.
    I specified VideoRam size (as recommended), but no improvement.
    I havd tried various coulour depth settings previously, nothing helped.

  10. Re: Need help with xorg

    Sid wrote:

    > None of this has helped.
    > I specified VideoRam size (as recommended), but no improvement.
    > I havd tried various coulour depth settings previously, nothing helped.

    I'm just about out of ideas, the only ones left is to use the Noaccel option
    or use the vesa driver instead, examples below;

    Add Option "NoAccel" example;

    Section "Device"
    Identifier "Videocard0"
    Driver "trident"
    VendorName "Videocard vendor"
    BoardName "Trident Blade3D (generic)"
    Option "Noaccel"
    EndSection

    Use the vesa driver option;

    Section "Device"
    Identifier "Videocard0"
    Driver "vesa"
    VendorName "Videocard vendor"
    BoardName "Trident Blade3D (generic)"
    EndSection

    --
    "A personal computer is called a personal computer because it's yours,
    Anything that runs on that computer, you should have control over."
    Andrew Moss, Microsoft's senior director of technical policy, 2005

+ Reply to Thread