Install module in kernel? - Redhat

This is a discussion on Install module in kernel? - Redhat ; What is the "proper" way to install a module in the kernel. I have software that depends on the softdog module. The softdog module is thate, I have created the device and installed softdog using /sbin/insmod, however the software still ...

  1. Install module in kernel?

    What is the "proper" way to install a module in the kernel. I have
    software that depends on the softdog module. The softdog module is
    thate, I have created the device and installed softdog using
    /sbin/insmod, however the software still complains that softdog is not
    installed, and the module does not stay loaded after a reboot.

  2. Re: Install module in kernel?

    RichT wrote:

    > What is the "proper" way to install a module in the kernel. I have
    > software that depends on the softdog module. The softdog module is
    > thate, I have created the device and installed softdog using
    > /sbin/insmod, however the software still complains that softdog is not
    > installed, and the module does not stay loaded after a reboot.

    You may need to run (as root) depmod -a and/or you may need to
    modify /etc/modprobe.conf or /etc/modules.conf (or something like these).
    What does the documentation for softdog say???

    --
    "A personal computer is called a personal computer because it's yours,
    Anything that runs on that computer, you should have control over."

+ Reply to Thread