Sendmail startup fails - Redhat

This is a discussion on Sendmail startup fails - Redhat ; Hi, I'm an enthusiastic relative newby to linux, been using core3 for a while OK. Recently at start up I'm getting these failure notices.--- Nov 28 11:22:19 localhost sendmail: sendmail startup failed Nov 28 11:22:19 localhost sendmail: /etc/mail/submit.cf: line 545: ...

  1. Sendmail startup fails

    Hi, I'm an enthusiastic relative newby to linux, been using core3 for a
    while OK. Recently at start up I'm getting these failure notices.---

    Nov 28 11:22:19 localhost sendmail: sendmail startup failed
    Nov 28 11:22:19 localhost sendmail: /etc/mail/submit.cf: line 545:
    fileclass: cannot open '/etc/mail/trusted-users': World writable directory
    Nov 28 11:22:19 localhost sendmail: sm-client startup failed

    Does this mean the permissions on /etc/mail/trusted-users is too
    loose???? Cause this is what they are. ---

    permissions of /etc/mail/trusted-users
    File owner root
    File group root
    owner read write
    group read
    others read
    (-rw-r-r-, 644)

    I'd be gratefull if anybody's got some idea what's going on here. I've
    also recently enabled and disabled selinux, has that had some effect???

    regards Mike.

  2. Re: Sendmail startup fails

    decrepit > wrote:
    > Hi, I'm an enthusiastic relative newby to linux, been using core3 for a
    > while OK. Recently at start up I'm getting these failure notices.---
    >
    > Nov 28 11:22:19 localhost sendmail: sendmail startup failed
    > Nov 28 11:22:19 localhost sendmail: /etc/mail/submit.cf: line 545:
    > fileclass: cannot open '/etc/mail/trusted-users': World writable directory
    > Nov 28 11:22:19 localhost sendmail: sm-client startup failed
    >
    > Does this mean the permissions on /etc/mail/trusted-users is too
    > loose???? Cause this is what they are. ---
    >
    > permissions of /etc/mail/trusted-users
    > File owner root
    > File group root
    > owner read write
    > group read
    > others read
    > (-rw-r-r-, 644)
    >
    > I'd be gratefull if anybody's got some idea what's going on here. I've
    > also recently enabled and disabled selinux, has that had some effect???

    Change permission of /etc/mail _directory_ to
    drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 Oct 8 12:12 /etc/mail

    I would wonder how it got to be anything else.

    BTW, I do not have anything (other than the boilerplate comments) in that
    file. Do you need something in there?

    ^^-^^ 07:20:00 up 1 day, 17:49, 3 users, load average: 4.19, 4.20, 4.18

  3. Re: Sendmail startup fails

    Jean-David Beyer wrote:
    Thanks Jean, sounds like that should do it I'll give it a go.
    No idea how it happened, I've got the core3 partion mounted on a core4
    instalation, and I've turned selinux off and on on both of them, but
    don't see how that would do it.
    Mike

    > Change permission of /etc/mail _directory_ to
    > drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 Oct 8 12:12 /etc/mail
    >
    > I would wonder how it got to be anything else.
    >
    > BTW, I do not have anything (other than the boilerplate comments) in that
    > file. Do you need something in there?

  4. Re: Sendmail startup fails

    Jean-David Beyer wrote:

    > BTW, I do not have anything (other than the boilerplate comments) in that
    > file. Do you need something in there?

    All I've got is the "#" comments, just must need to be ablt to open it,
    whether there's stuff there or not.

  5. Re: Sendmail startup fails

    Jean-David Beyer wrote:

    > Change permission of /etc/mail _directory_ to
    > drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 Oct 8 12:12 /etc/mail
    >
    > I would wonder how it got to be anything else.

    No luck I'm afraid, I miss-read you here, the /etc/mail directory is
    drwxr-xr-x (755) it's the "trusted-users" file that's 644.

    I checked the core4 instalation and that's the same.

    So doesn't seem to be the actual file perissions that's at fault.

    This looks like the section in /etc/mail/submit.cf. This is also the
    same in core3 & core4

    #####################
    # Trusted users #

    # this is equivalent to setting class "t"
    Ft/etc/mail/trusted-users
    Troot
    Tdaemon
    Tuucp

    Doesn't mean much to me, what if I just "#" it out, there's no info in
    it anyway??? Although it says not to edit it.

+ Reply to Thread