Backing up downloaded .rpm files from yum - Redhat

This is a discussion on Backing up downloaded .rpm files from yum - Redhat ; Hey eveyone... is there a way to backup the files that yum uses to update the fedora 4 system after they're downloaded? I know where the .rpm files are stored, but are they're other files that go along with them ...

  1. Backing up downloaded .rpm files from yum

    Hey eveyone...

    is there a way to backup the files that yum uses to update the fedora
    4 system after they're downloaded? I know where the .rpm files are
    stored, but are they're other files that go along with them that can
    be backed-up and restored later so that yum doesn't have to download
    them again?

    I just did a re-install of fedora 4, ran yum update, and it had to
    download 650 mbs. I have dsl, but it still takes some time to
    download. I would like to back them up so that if I have to reinstall
    again, I can just copy them from the backup to the drive and install
    them.

    Thanks
    Whitewate

  2. Re: Backing up downloaded .rpm files from yum

    > is there a way to backup the files that yum uses to update the fedora
    > 4 system after they're downloaded? I know where the .rpm files are
    > stored, but are they're other files that go along with them that can
    > be backed-up and restored later so that yum doesn't have to download
    > them again?
    >
    > I just did a re-install of fedora 4, ran yum update, and it had to
    > download 650 mbs. I have dsl, but it still takes some time to
    > download. I would like to back them up so that if I have to reinstall
    > again, I can just copy them from the backup to the drive and install
    > them.

    The easiest way to, after a fresh install of FC4, use "rpm -Uvh
    /path/to/your/backup/rpms/*.rpm" command to upgrade/install all of them.
    Alternatively, "rpm -Fvh *.rpm" can upgrade rpms only if they are
    previously installed on you system. This way, you don't have to download
    them again.

    If you insist to use yum, I believe you can specify the path to you
    backup rpm in yum.conf (or yum.repo.d?). But you may need other files
    such as headers, metadata, etc. I don't know. You can play with it.

    HTH,

    KB

    --
    Let's play my favorite game at http://www.xbill.org/

  3. Re: Backing up downloaded .rpm files from yum

    Kill Bill wrote:
    > The easiest way to, after a fresh install of FC4, use "rpm -Uvh
    > /path/to/your/backup/rpms/*.rpm" command to upgrade/install all of them.
    > Alternatively, "rpm -Fvh *.rpm" can upgrade rpms only if they are
    > previously installed on you system. This way, you don't have to download
    > them again.
    >
    > If you insist to use yum, I believe you can specify the path to you
    > backup rpm in yum.conf (or yum.repo.d?). But you may need other files
    > such as headers, metadata, etc. I don't know. You can play with it.

    Answer to the original poster, not myself:

    Or, you may copy over all subdirectories and file under /var/spool/yum
    to the newly installed box and run "yum update". I believe yum won't
    fetch the rpms again over internet if it found they exist in the local
    cache. At least this is the case for fedora core 3.

    HTH,
    KB
    --
    Let's play my favorite game at http://www.xbill.org/

  4. Re: Backing up downloaded .rpm files from yum

    On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 20:30:57 +0000, Whitewater wrote this:

    > Hey eveyone...
    >
    > is there a way to backup the files that yum uses to update the fedora 4
    > system after they're downloaded? I know where the .rpm files are stored,
    > but are they're other files that go along with them that can be backed-up
    > and restored later so that yum doesn't have to download them again?
    >
    > I just did a re-install of fedora 4, ran yum update, and it had to
    > download 650 mbs. I have dsl, but it still takes some time to download. I
    > would like to back them up so that if I have to reinstall again, I can
    > just copy them from the backup to the drive and install them.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Whitewate

    There is a repository for the downloaded file at the headers. But you
    can instruct Yum to download the files only to a directory you specify
    then instruct Yum to do a local install from that directory. Afterwards
    just backup that directory.

    man yum

  5. Re: Backing up downloaded .rpm files from yum

    On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 21:25:03 GMT, Kill Bill wrote:

    >Kill Bill wrote:
    >> The easiest way to, after a fresh install of FC4, use "rpm -Uvh
    >> /path/to/your/backup/rpms/*.rpm" command to upgrade/install all of them.
    >> Alternatively, "rpm -Fvh *.rpm" can upgrade rpms only if they are
    >> previously installed on you system. This way, you don't have to download
    >> them again.
    >>
    >> If you insist to use yum, I believe you can specify the path to you
    >> backup rpm in yum.conf (or yum.repo.d?). But you may need other files
    >> such as headers, metadata, etc. I don't know. You can play with it.

    >Answer to the original poster, not myself:
    >
    >Or, you may copy over all subdirectories and file under /var/spool/yum
    >to the newly installed box and run "yum update". I believe yum won't
    >fetch the rpms again over internet if it found they exist in the local
    >cache. At least this is the case for fedora core 3.
    >
    >HTH,
    >KB

    Thanks for that. I will backup the files and save the instructions for
    both your replies.

    Whitewater

+ Reply to Thread