named: can't ping local windows computers on fedora - Redhat

This is a discussion on named: can't ping local windows computers on fedora - Redhat ; Hi, I am running named and dhcpd on a fedora core 4 computer, and I am able to ping the fedora computer by name from all windows client. So my named and dhcpd is working properly. I can also ping ...

  1. named: can't ping local windows computers on fedora

    Hi,

    I am running named and dhcpd on a fedora core 4 computer, and I am able to
    ping the fedora computer by name from all windows client. So my named and
    dhcpd is working properly.

    I can also ping windows computers (XPs) from fedora by IP.

    Here is the problem:
    I can't ping windows computers from fedora box by name.
    I can ping mysefl (fedora box) by either FDNAME or FDNAME.localdomain
    nslookup on FDNAME returns nothing, nslookup on FDNAME.localdomain returns
    it's ip address.

    Any ideas how should I fix this problem?
    Thanks

    Gang

  2. Re: named: can't ping local windows computers on fedora

    Gang wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am running named and dhcpd on a fedora core 4 computer, and I am able to
    > ping the fedora computer by name from all windows client. So my named and
    > dhcpd is working properly.
    >
    > I can also ping windows computers (XPs) from fedora by IP.
    >
    > Here is the problem:
    > I can't ping windows computers from fedora box by name.
    > I can ping mysefl (fedora box) by either FDNAME or FDNAME.localdomain
    > nslookup on FDNAME returns nothing, nslookup on FDNAME.localdomain returns
    > it's ip address.
    >
    > Any ideas how should I fix this problem?

    You probably need to set a search domain in /etc/resolv.conf on the
    linux machine. It should look like:

    search whatever.domain1.com
    nameserver 192.168.2.241

    With whatever... replaced by the local domain suffix and the IP address
    of the nameserver replaced by your own nameserver's ip address.

    --
    Nobby

  3. Re: named: can't ping local windows computers on fedora

    Wow, you don't have to x-post this simple questions to so many groups!

    > I am running named and dhcpd on a fedora core 4 computer, and I am able to
    > ping the fedora computer by name from all windows client. So my named and
    > dhcpd is working properly.
    >
    > I can also ping windows computers (XPs) from fedora by IP.
    >
    > Here is the problem:
    > I can't ping windows computers from fedora box by name.
    > I can ping mysefl (fedora box) by either FDNAME or FDNAME.localdomain
    > nslookup on FDNAME returns nothing, nslookup on FDNAME.localdomain returns
    > it's ip address.
    >
    > Any ideas how should I fix this problem?

    Firstly it could be becuase of the windoze filewall. By default the one
    with SP2 blocks the ping query.

    It could be something else if you disable the windoze filewall or enable
    echo response. But you should provide more information for us to
    diagnose, for example your dhcp configuration, named settings, you ping
    attempts, the error messages, and so on.

    HTH,

    KB
    --
    NT stands for New Technology. Windowds NT(NT4.x)/2K(NT5.0)/XP(NT5.1)
    was built on NT Technology. Anyone understands what "new" means, so

  4. Re: named: can't ping local windows computers on fedora

    Thanks all!
    I found what the problem is. I need to make a key (redhat FC 4 already
    provided one, /etc/rndc.key
    and in /etc/dhcpd.conf:

    server-identifier ns.veda.int;
    authoritative;
    ddns-update-style interim;
    ddns-updates on;

    include "/etc/rndc.key";

    zone localdomain {
    primary 192.168.1.2;
    key rndckey;
    }
    zone 1.168.192.in-addr.arpa. {
    primary 192.168.1.2;
    key rndckey;
    }

    So dhcpd will use the key to update dns.
    in named.conf, use the named config applet, add the key to control and
    localdomain.

    Also need to disable SELinux, that sucker is preventing bind to update
    master domain.

    remember to keep watching /var/log/message to debug out any typo (also make
    sure /var/named is owned by named).

    Now I can ping my windows pcs as name.localdomain
    Still can't ping them just as 'name', crap.... When I was using dsl the
    router is acting as a dns name server, and it did a better job than bind :-(
    I know I must have done something not right. It is usually some config
    problem. Once got time I will check the source code, that usually helps
    lol.

    Thanks again.
    Gang

    "Stephen Sentoff" wrote in message
    newsan.2005.11.25.04.31.11.279264@hotmail.com...
    > On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 23:09:10 -0500, Gang wrote:
    >

    >> Here is the problem:
    >> I can't ping windows computers from fedora box by name.
    >> I can ping mysefl (fedora box) by either FDNAME or FDNAME.localdomain
    >> nslookup on FDNAME returns nothing, nslookup on FDNAME.localdomain
    >> returns
    >> it's ip address.

    > Thanks
    >>
    >> Gang

    > Can you ping one Windows client from another by name? Perhaps there's a
    > problem with the DNS entries for the Windows clients in your domain
    > server.
    >
    > --
    > Steve

  5. Re: named: can't ping local windows computers on fedora

    Yep I should. Sorry. I did most of the homework before posting so I am
    mostly expecting simple directive answers, like "google on
    ddns-update-style hmac-md5" etc. If I found an answer I will post it in
    that manner as well (I got about 80% of it in my previous post).

    Now just need to figure out how to ping ${machinename} instead of have to
    ping ${machinename}.localdomain .... Hopefully that doesn't involve in
    making smb a domain controler (at least the dsl router/dns server dones't
    need one)

    Thanks
    Gang

    "Kill Bill" wrote in message
    > Wow, you don't have to x-post this simple questions to so many groups!
    >
    >> I am running named and dhcpd on a fedora core 4 computer, and I am able
    >> to ping the fedora computer by name from all windows client. So my named
    >> and dhcpd is working properly.
    >>
    >> I can also ping windows computers (XPs) from fedora by IP.
    >>
    >> Here is the problem:
    >> I can't ping windows computers from fedora box by name.
    >> I can ping mysefl (fedora box) by either FDNAME or FDNAME.localdomain
    >> nslookup on FDNAME returns nothing, nslookup on FDNAME.localdomain
    >> returns it's ip address.
    >>
    >> Any ideas how should I fix this problem?

    > Firstly it could be becuase of the windoze filewall. By default the one
    > with SP2 blocks the ping query.
    >
    > It could be something else if you disable the windoze filewall or enable
    > echo response. But you should provide more information for us to diagnose,
    > for example your dhcp configuration, named settings, you ping attempts,
    > the error messages, and so on.
    >
    > HTH,
    >
    > KB
    > --
    > NT stands for New Technology. Windowds NT(NT4.x)/2K(NT5.0)/XP(NT5.1)
    > was built on NT Technology. Anyone understands what "new" means, so
    > everyone knows M$ Windows NT/2K/XP/Whatever is a *real* innovation.

  6. Re: named: can't ping local windows computers on fedora

    OK, found that one too. Just set the dns search path to the domain name and
    everything works fine.
    Gang
    "Gang" wrote in message
    > Yep I should. Sorry. I did most of the homework before posting so I am
    > mostly expecting simple directive answers, like "google on
    > ddns-update-style hmac-md5" etc. If I found an answer I will post it in
    > that manner as well (I got about 80% of it in my previous post).
    >
    > Now just need to figure out how to ping ${machinename} instead of have to
    > ping ${machinename}.localdomain .... Hopefully that doesn't involve in
    > making smb a domain controler (at least the dsl router/dns server dones't
    > need one)
    >
    > Thanks
    > Gang
    >
    > "Kill Bill" wrote in message
    >> Wow, you don't have to x-post this simple questions to so many groups!
    >>
    >>> I am running named and dhcpd on a fedora core 4 computer, and I am able
    >>> to ping the fedora computer by name from all windows client. So my
    >>> named and dhcpd is working properly.
    >>>
    >>> I can also ping windows computers (XPs) from fedora by IP.
    >>>
    >>> Here is the problem:
    >>> I can't ping windows computers from fedora box by name.
    >>> I can ping mysefl (fedora box) by either FDNAME or FDNAME.localdomain
    >>> nslookup on FDNAME returns nothing, nslookup on FDNAME.localdomain
    >>> returns it's ip address.
    >>>
    >>> Any ideas how should I fix this problem?

    >> Firstly it could be becuase of the windoze filewall. By default the one
    >> with SP2 blocks the ping query.
    >>
    >> It could be something else if you disable the windoze filewall or enable
    >> echo response. But you should provide more information for us to
    >> diagnose, for example your dhcp configuration, named settings, you ping
    >> attempts, the error messages, and so on.
    >>
    >> HTH,
    >>
    >> KB
    >> --
    >> NT stands for New Technology. Windowds NT(NT4.x)/2K(NT5.0)/XP(NT5.1)
    >> was built on NT Technology. Anyone understands what "new" means, so
    >> everyone knows M$ Windows NT/2K/XP/Whatever is a *real* innovation.

  7. Re: named: can't ping local windows computers on fedora

    You have to edit Fedora Core 4 HOSTS file to include the host name(s)
    and their corresponding IP addresses ( for name resolution) e.g.
    If your Windows PC have internal IP address 192.168.1.4 and its
    computer name is GANG the line ( right below 127.0.0.0
    localhost.localdomain line and 127.0.0.0 FDNAME.localdomain )in host
    file should reed:

    192.168.1.4 gang

    meaning that as soon as you type :
    ping gang
    computer name will be translated to IP address 192.168.1.4
    You can add more computers or domain names to the HOST file too.

    good luck
    nedvis
    ************************************************** *******************
    Gang wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am running named and dhcpd on a fedora core 4 computer, and I am able to
    > ping the fedora computer by name from all windows client. So my named and
    > dhcpd is working properly.
    >
    > I can also ping windows computers (XPs) from fedora by IP.
    >
    > Here is the problem:
    > I can't ping windows computers from fedora box by name.
    > I can ping mysefl (fedora box) by either FDNAME or FDNAME.localdomain
    > nslookup on FDNAME returns nothing, nslookup on FDNAME.localdomain returns
    > it's ip address.
    >
    > Any ideas how should I fix this problem?
    > Thanks
    >
    > Gang

  8. Re: named: can't ping local windows computers on fedora

    Gang wrote:
    > Thanks all!
    > I found what the problem is. I need to make a key (redhat FC 4 already
    > provided one, /etc/rndc.key
    > and in /etc/dhcpd.conf:
    >
    > server-identifier ns.veda.int;
    > authoritative;
    > ddns-update-style interim;
    > ddns-updates on;
    >
    > include "/etc/rndc.key";
    >
    > zone localdomain {
    > primary 192.168.1.2;
    > key rndckey;
    > }
    > zone 1.168.192.in-addr.arpa. {
    > primary 192.168.1.2;
    > key rndckey;
    > }
    >
    > So dhcpd will use the key to update dns.
    > in named.conf, use the named config applet, add the key to control and
    > localdomain.
    >
    > Also need to disable SELinux, that sucker is preventing bind to update
    > master domain.
    >
    > remember to keep watching /var/log/message to debug out any typo (also make
    > sure /var/named is owned by named).
    >
    > Now I can ping my windows pcs as name.localdomain
    > Still can't ping them just as 'name', crap.... When I was using dsl the
    > router is acting as a dns name server, and it did a better job than bind :-(
    > I know I must have done something not right. It is usually some config
    > problem. Once got time I will check the source code, that usually helps
    > lol.
    >
    > Thanks again.
    > Gang
    >

    > "Stephen Sentoff" wrote in message
    > newsan.2005.11.25.04.31.11.279264@hotmail.com...
    >> On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 23:09:10 -0500, Gang wrote:
    >>

    >>> Here is the problem:
    >>> I can't ping windows computers from fedora box by name.
    >>> I can ping mysefl (fedora box) by either FDNAME or FDNAME.localdomain
    >>> nslookup on FDNAME returns nothing, nslookup on FDNAME.localdomain
    >>> returns
    >>> it's ip address.

    >> Thanks
    >>> Gang

    >> Can you ping one Windows client from another by name? Perhaps there's a
    >> problem with the DNS entries for the Windows clients in your domain
    >> server.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Steve

    you need to add .localdomain in the dns suffix search order on the Linux
    and the Windows boxes.

    ....kurt

+ Reply to Thread