can't change from field - Redhat

This is a discussion on can't change from field - Redhat ; I have spent countless hours following every instruction to change sendmail options and no matter what I do, the email is rejected by spam software because the from field reads: root@localhost.loca ldomain I want to chnage it so it reads ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: can't change from field

  1. can't change from field

    I have spent countless hours following every instruction to change sendmail
    options and no matter what I do, the email is rejected by spam software
    because the from field reads:
    root@localhost.localdomain

    I want to chnage it so it reads my valid email address so the email is not
    rejected.
    I run a data gathering program that emails me a report everey day, but now I
    can't get it anymore with isp changes.

    Anyway, none of the fixes have worked for some reason.
    Does anyone know the solution?
    I'm running 7.2, with 8.11 sendmail

    Thanks,
    TF



  2. Re: can't change from field

    In article , tf wrote:
    :I have spent countless hours following every instruction to change sendmail
    ptions and no matter what I do, the email is rejected by spam software
    :because the from field reads:
    :root@localhost.localdomain
    :
    :I want to chnage it so it reads my valid email address so the email is not
    :rejected.
    :I run a data gathering program that emails me a report everey day, but now I
    :can't get it anymore with isp changes.
    :
    :Anyway, none of the fixes have worked for some reason.
    oes anyone know the solution?
    :I'm running 7.2, with 8.11 sendmail

    You need to use genericstable to translate "root@localhost.localdomain"
    to some real address. In your sendmail.mc file, add the following two
    lines (I put them right after the "FEATURE(`virtusertable'..." line):

    FEATURE(`genericstable')dnl
    GENERICS_DOMAIN_FILE(`/etc/mail/generics-domains')dnl

    Then create file /etc/mail/genericstable containing one line like:

    root@localhost.localdomain tf@tf.net

    The next time you restart the sendmail service the init.d/sendmail
    script will build genericstable.db and you should be all set.

    --
    Bob Nichols AT comcast.net I am "RNichols42"

  3. Re: can't change from field

    In article , I wrote:
    :In article , tf wrote:
    ::I have spent countless hours following every instruction to change sendmail
    :ptions and no matter what I do, the email is rejected by spam software
    ::because the from field reads:
    ::root@localhost.localdomain
    ::
    ::I want to chnage it so it reads my valid email address so the email is not
    ::rejected.
    ::I run a data gathering program that emails me a report everey day, but now I
    ::can't get it anymore with isp changes.
    ::
    ::Anyway, none of the fixes have worked for some reason.
    :oes anyone know the solution?
    ::I'm running 7.2, with 8.11 sendmail
    :
    :You need to use genericstable to translate "root@localhost.localdomain"
    :to some real address. In your sendmail.mc file, add the following two
    :lines (I put them right after the "FEATURE(`virtusertable'..." line):
    :
    : FEATURE(`genericstable')dnl
    : GENERICS_DOMAIN_FILE(`/etc/mail/generics-domains')dnl
    :
    :Then create file /etc/mail/genericstable containing one line like:
    :
    : root@localhost.localdomain tf@tf.net
    :
    :The next time you restart the sendmail service the init.d/sendmail
    :script will build genericstable.db and you should be all set.

    Oops, I forgot to mention what goes into the /etc/mail/generics-domains
    file. It's another 1-liner:

    localhost.localdomain

    --
    Bob Nichols AT comcast.net I am "RNichols42"

  4. Re: can't change from field

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: "Robert Nichols"
    Newsgroups: linux.redhat.misc
    Sent: Sunday, November 20, 2005 7:54 AM
    Subject: Re: can't change from field


    > In article , I wrote:
    > :In article , tf wrote:
    > ::I have spent countless hours following every instruction to change
    > sendmail
    > :ptions and no matter what I do, the email is rejected by spam software
    > ::because the from field reads:
    > ::root@localhost.localdomain
    > ::
    > ::I want to chnage it so it reads my valid email address so the email is
    > not
    > ::rejected.
    > ::I run a data gathering program that emails me a report everey day, but
    > now I
    > ::can't get it anymore with isp changes.
    > ::
    > ::Anyway, none of the fixes have worked for some reason.
    > :oes anyone know the solution?
    > ::I'm running 7.2, with 8.11 sendmail
    > :
    > :You need to use genericstable to translate "root@localhost.localdomain"
    > :to some real address. In your sendmail.mc file, add the following two
    > :lines (I put them right after the "FEATURE(`virtusertable'..." line):
    > :
    > : FEATURE(`genericstable')dnl
    > : GENERICS_DOMAIN_FILE(`/etc/mail/generics-domains')dnl
    > :
    > :Then create file /etc/mail/genericstable containing one line like:
    > :
    > : root@localhost.localdomain tf@tf.net
    > :
    > :The next time you restart the sendmail service the init.d/sendmail
    > :script will build genericstable.db and you should be all set.
    >
    > Oops, I forgot to mention what goes into the /etc/mail/generics-domains
    > file. It's another 1-liner:
    >
    > localhost.localdomain
    >
    > --
    > Bob Nichols AT comcast.net I am "RNichols42"


    Hi

    Thanks for your time, but I still can't get where I need to be.

    This header is with your suggestions alone:

    X-Apparently-To: me@yahoo.com via 68.142.207.107; Sun, 20 Nov 2005
    11:30:56 -0800
    X-Originating-IP: [xx.xxx.xxx.xx]
    Return-Path:
    Authentication-Results: mta142.mail.scd.yahoo.com from=verizon.net;
    domainkeys=neutral (no sig)
    Received: from xx.xxx.xxx.xx (EHLO verizon.net) (xx.xxx.xxx.xx) by
    mta142.mail.scd.yahoo.com with SMTP; Sun, 20 Nov 2005 11:30:55 -0800
    Received: (from root@localhost) by verizon.net (8.11.6/8.11.6) id
    jAKJXaE01594 for Me@yahoo.com; Sun, 20 Nov 2005 11:33:36 -0800
    Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2005 11:33:36 -0800
    From: "root" Add to Address Book Add Mobile Alert
    Message-Id: 200511201933.jAKJXaE01594@verizon.net



    Howevere, if I send the mail with sendmail:
    sendmail -f'myrealaddy@verizon.net' -i Me@yahoo.com

    I can get this:

    X-Apparently-To: me@yahoo.com via 68.142.207.99; Sun, 20 Nov 2005
    12:46:51 -0800
    X-Originating-IP: [xx.xxx.xxx.xx]
    Return-Path:
    Authentication-Results: mta109.mail.mud.yahoo.com from=verizon.net;
    domainkeys=neutral (no sig)
    Received: from xx.xxx.xxx.xx (EHLO verizon.net) (xx.xxx.xxx.xx) by
    mta109.mail.mud.yahoo.com with SMTP; Sun, 20 Nov 2005 12:46:51 -0800
    Received: (from root@localhost) by verizon.net (8.11.6/8.11.6) id
    jAKKnLZ03698 for Me@yahoo.com; Sun, 20 Nov 2005 12:49:21 -0800
    Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2005 12:49:21 -0800
    From: myrealaddy@verizon.net Add to Address Book Add Mobile Alert



    This works fine for sending to yahoo, but i need to send to myself at
    myrealaddy@verizon.net and apparently, the "Received: (from root@localhost)
    by verizon.net (8.11.6/8.11.6) id jAKKnLZ03698 for Me@yahoo.com; Sun, 20 Nov
    2005 12:49:21 -0800

    is still being trapped by verizon's spam software.

    How can I change that field?

    Thanks,
    TF







  5. Re: can't change from field

    On 2005-11-20, tf wrote:
    > ----- Original Message -----
    >
    > Howevere, if I send the mail with sendmail:
    > sendmail -f'myrealaddy@verizon.net' -i Me@yahoo.com
    >
    > I can get this:
    >
    > X-Apparently-To: me@yahoo.com via 68.142.207.99; Sun, 20 Nov 2005
    > 12:46:51 -0800
    > X-Originating-IP: [xx.xxx.xxx.xx]
    > Return-Path:

    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Envelope sender.

    You are using myrealaddy@verizon.net in the SMTP negotiation.

    > Authentication-Results: mta109.mail.mud.yahoo.com from=verizon.net;
    > domainkeys=neutral (no sig)
    > Received: from xx.xxx.xxx.xx (EHLO verizon.net) (xx.xxx.xxx.xx) by
    > mta109.mail.mud.yahoo.com with SMTP; Sun, 20 Nov 2005 12:46:51 -0800
    > Received: (from root@localhost) by verizon.net (8.11.6/8.11.6) id

    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Apparently the "from:" address.

    > jAKKnLZ03698 for Me@yahoo.com; Sun, 20 Nov 2005 12:49:21 -0800
    > Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2005 12:49:21 -0800
    > From: myrealaddy@verizon.net Add to Address Book Add Mobile Alert


    Try a simple text file, sample.txt

    To: whoever
    From: the address you want to send from
    Subject: testing

    Test


    and try:

    sendmail -f "envelope.sender" -i -t < sample.txt

    Does that work?

  6. Re: can't change from field


    "Spamless" wrote in message
    news:Ukbgf.2410$ZA3.501199@monger.newsread.com...
    > On 2005-11-20, tf wrote:
    >> ----- Original Message -----
    >>
    >> Howevere, if I send the mail with sendmail:
    >> sendmail -f'myrealaddy@verizon.net' -i Me@yahoo.com
    >>
    >> I can get this:
    >>
    >> X-Apparently-To: me@yahoo.com via 68.142.207.99; Sun, 20 Nov 2005
    >> 12:46:51 -0800
    >> X-Originating-IP: [xx.xxx.xxx.xx]
    >> Return-Path:

    > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    > Envelope sender.
    >
    > You are using myrealaddy@verizon.net in the SMTP negotiation.
    >
    >> Authentication-Results: mta109.mail.mud.yahoo.com from=verizon.net;
    >> domainkeys=neutral (no sig)
    >> Received: from xx.xxx.xxx.xx (EHLO verizon.net) (xx.xxx.xxx.xx) by
    >> mta109.mail.mud.yahoo.com with SMTP; Sun, 20 Nov 2005 12:46:51 -0800
    >> Received: (from root@localhost) by verizon.net (8.11.6/8.11.6) id

    > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    > Apparently the "from:" address.
    >
    >> jAKKnLZ03698 for Me@yahoo.com; Sun, 20 Nov 2005 12:49:21 -0800
    >> Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2005 12:49:21 -0800
    >> From: myrealaddy@verizon.net Add to Address Book Add Mobile Alert

    >
    > Try a simple text file, sample.txt
    >
    > To: whoever
    > From: the address you want to send from
    > Subject: testing
    >
    > Test
    >
    >
    > and try:
    >
    > sendmail -f "envelope.sender" -i -t < sample.txt
    >
    > Does that work?


    No, but it does populate the From and to fileds as you expected.

    Howevere, it's the "Received" path that still holds the root.

    Received: (from root@localhost) by verizon.net (8.11.6/8.11.6) id
    jAL5IlR01750; Sun, 20 Nov 2005 21:18:47 -0800


    Thanks for the test, though.

    TF



  7. Re: can't change from field

    In linux.redhat.misc, you wrote:
    >
    > "Spamless" wrote in message
    > news:Ukbgf.2410$ZA3.501199@monger.newsread.com...
    >> On 2005-11-20, tf wrote:
    >>> ----- Original Message -----
    >>>
    >>> Howevere, if I send the mail with sendmail:
    >>> sendmail -f'myrealaddy@verizon.net' -i Me@yahoo.com
    >>>
    >>> I can get this:
    >>>
    >>> X-Apparently-To: me@yahoo.com via 68.142.207.99; Sun, 20 Nov 2005
    >>> 12:46:51 -0800
    >>> X-Originating-IP: [xx.xxx.xxx.xx]
    >>> Return-Path:

    >> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    >> Envelope sender.
    >>
    >> You are using myrealaddy@verizon.net in the SMTP negotiation.
    >>
    >>> Authentication-Results: mta109.mail.mud.yahoo.com from=verizon.net;
    >>> domainkeys=neutral (no sig)
    >>> Received: from xx.xxx.xxx.xx (EHLO verizon.net) (xx.xxx.xxx.xx) by
    >>> mta109.mail.mud.yahoo.com with SMTP; Sun, 20 Nov 2005 12:46:51 -0800
    >>> Received: (from root@localhost) by verizon.net (8.11.6/8.11.6) id

    >> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    >> Apparently the "from:" address.
    >>
    >>> jAKKnLZ03698 for Me@yahoo.com; Sun, 20 Nov 2005 12:49:21 -0800
    >>> Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2005 12:49:21 -0800
    >>> From: myrealaddy@verizon.net Add to Address Book Add Mobile Alert

    >>
    >> Try a simple text file, sample.txt
    >>
    >> To: whoever
    >> From: the address you want to send from
    >> Subject: testing
    >>
    >> Test
    >>
    >>
    >> and try:
    >>
    >> sendmail -f "envelope.sender" -i -t < sample.txt
    >>
    >> Does that work?

    >
    > No, but it does populate the From and to fileds as you expected.
    >
    > Howevere, it's the "Received" path that still holds the root.
    >
    > Received: (from root@localhost) by verizon.net (8.11.6/8.11.6) id
    > jAL5IlR01750; Sun, 20 Nov 2005 21:18:47 -0800
    >
    >
    > Thanks for the test, though.


    Then it may be your mail server saying it received it from you (as root)
    and then sent it on. It may be sendmail adding a note that it received
    it from that user on the local machine. If your system is not secure it is
    not a good idea to block your sendmail from reporting from whence it got it,
    however, I don't run sendmail as a demon, I just let mutt start it up and it
    stops when I am done so I have commented out some lines in my
    sendmail.cf file which were:
    #HReceived: $?sfrom $s $.$?_($?s$|from $.$_)
    # $.$?{auth_type}(authenticated$?{auth_ssf} bits=${auth_ssf}$.)
    # $.by $j ($v/$Z)$?r with $r$. id $i$?{tls_version}
    # (version=${tls_version} cipher=${cipher} bits=${cipher_bits} verify=${verify})$.$?u
    # for $u; $|;
    # $.$b
    I don't know if we have the same version but, I too, had to hunt through the
    file and try commenting things out and sending myself test messages to find
    out what headers it was sending and how to drop them (my system sends mail
    with my user id at my ISP and I don't want remote recipients to know my
    username on my local system - why should they?).

    It looks like you have got the envelope sender and From address set and this is
    another item.

  8. Re: can't change from field

    In article <0s5gf.16648$tT1.15896@trnddc01>, tf wrote:
    :
    :Thanks for your time, but I still can't get where I need to be.
    :
    :This header is with your suggestions alone:
    :
    : X-Apparently-To: me@yahoo.com via 68.142.207.107; Sun, 20 Nov 2005
    :11:30:56 -0800
    : X-Originating-IP: [xx.xxx.xxx.xx]
    : Return-Path:
    : Authentication-Results: mta142.mail.scd.yahoo.com from=verizon.net;
    :domainkeys=neutral (no sig)
    : Received: from xx.xxx.xxx.xx (EHLO verizon.net) (xx.xxx.xxx.xx) by
    :mta142.mail.scd.yahoo.com with SMTP; Sun, 20 Nov 2005 11:30:55 -0800
    : Received: (from root@localhost) by verizon.net (8.11.6/8.11.6) id
    :jAKJXaE01594 for Me@yahoo.com; Sun, 20 Nov 2005 11:33:36 -0800
    : Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2005 11:33:36 -0800
    : From: "root" Add to Address Book Add Mobile Alert
    : Message-Id: 200511201933.jAKJXaE01594@verizon.net
    :
    :
    :
    :Howevere, if I send the mail with sendmail:
    :sendmail -f'myrealaddy@verizon.net' -i Me@yahoo.com
    :
    :I can get this:
    :
    : X-Apparently-To: me@yahoo.com via 68.142.207.99; Sun, 20 Nov 2005
    :12:46:51 -0800
    : X-Originating-IP: [xx.xxx.xxx.xx]
    : Return-Path:
    : Authentication-Results: mta109.mail.mud.yahoo.com from=verizon.net;
    :domainkeys=neutral (no sig)
    : Received: from xx.xxx.xxx.xx (EHLO verizon.net) (xx.xxx.xxx.xx) by
    :mta109.mail.mud.yahoo.com with SMTP; Sun, 20 Nov 2005 12:46:51 -0800
    : Received: (from root@localhost) by verizon.net (8.11.6/8.11.6) id
    :jAKKnLZ03698 for Me@yahoo.com; Sun, 20 Nov 2005 12:49:21 -0800
    : Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2005 12:49:21 -0800
    : From: myrealaddy@verizon.net Add to Address Book Add Mobile Alert

    Try commenting out the "EXPOSED_USER(`root')dnl" line in sendmail.mc
    (change it to "dnl EXPOSED_USER(`root')dnl"). I didn't expect
    EXPOSED_USER to override a genericstable translation, but perhaps it
    does.

    --
    Bob Nichols AT comcast.net I am "RNichols42"

  9. Re: can't change from field


    "Robert Nichols" wrote in
    message news:dlsq9l$p3u$1@omega-3a.right.here...
    > In article <0s5gf.16648$tT1.15896@trnddc01>, tf wrote:
    > :
    > :Thanks for your time, but I still can't get where I need to be.
    > :
    > :This header is with your suggestions alone:
    > :
    > : X-Apparently-To: me@yahoo.com via 68.142.207.107; Sun, 20 Nov 2005
    > :11:30:56 -0800
    > : X-Originating-IP: [xx.xxx.xxx.xx]
    > : Return-Path:
    > : Authentication-Results: mta142.mail.scd.yahoo.com from=verizon.net;
    > :domainkeys=neutral (no sig)
    > : Received: from xx.xxx.xxx.xx (EHLO verizon.net) (xx.xxx.xxx.xx) by
    > :mta142.mail.scd.yahoo.com with SMTP; Sun, 20 Nov 2005 11:30:55 -0800
    > : Received: (from root@localhost) by verizon.net (8.11.6/8.11.6) id
    > :jAKJXaE01594 for Me@yahoo.com; Sun, 20 Nov 2005 11:33:36 -0800
    > : Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2005 11:33:36 -0800
    > : From: "root" Add to Address Book Add Mobile
    > Alert
    > : Message-Id: 200511201933.jAKJXaE01594@verizon.net
    > :
    > :
    > :
    > :Howevere, if I send the mail with sendmail:
    > :sendmail -f'myrealaddy@verizon.net' -i Me@yahoo.com
    > :
    > :I can get this:
    > :
    > : X-Apparently-To: me@yahoo.com via 68.142.207.99; Sun, 20 Nov 2005
    > :12:46:51 -0800
    > : X-Originating-IP: [xx.xxx.xxx.xx]
    > : Return-Path:
    > : Authentication-Results: mta109.mail.mud.yahoo.com from=verizon.net;
    > :domainkeys=neutral (no sig)
    > : Received: from xx.xxx.xxx.xx (EHLO verizon.net) (xx.xxx.xxx.xx) by
    > :mta109.mail.mud.yahoo.com with SMTP; Sun, 20 Nov 2005 12:46:51 -0800
    > : Received: (from root@localhost) by verizon.net (8.11.6/8.11.6) id
    > :jAKKnLZ03698 for Me@yahoo.com; Sun, 20 Nov 2005 12:49:21 -0800
    > : Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2005 12:49:21 -0800
    > : From: myrealaddy@verizon.net Add to Address Book Add Mobile Alert
    >
    > Try commenting out the "EXPOSED_USER(`root')dnl" line in sendmail.mc
    > (change it to "dnl EXPOSED_USER(`root')dnl"). I didn't expect
    > EXPOSED_USER to override a genericstable translation, but perhaps it
    > does.
    >
    > --
    > Bob Nichols AT comcast.net I am "RNichols42"


    It is commented out.
    Thanks,
    TF



  10. Re: can't change from field

    In article , tf wrote:
    :
    :"Robert Nichols" wrote in
    :message news:dlsq9l$p3u$1@omega-3a.right.here...
    :> Try commenting out the "EXPOSED_USER(`root')dnl" line in sendmail.mc
    :> (change it to "dnl EXPOSED_USER(`root')dnl"). I didn't expect
    :> EXPOSED_USER to override a genericstable translation, but perhaps it
    :> does.
    :
    :It is commented out.
    :Thanks,

    Did you try it both ways? I hate to sound like I'm making stabs in the
    dark, but I just don't know how masquerading and genericstable lookups
    interact. If "root" is _not_ an exposed user and masquerading is done
    first, then the address may have already been set to "root@verizon.net"
    prior to generics_domain and genericstable lookups. If "root" _is_ an
    exposed user, then the address will be "root@localhost.localdomain", but
    as I mentioned above there's the possibility that EXPOSED_USER blocks
    genericstable lookups.

    --
    Bob Nichols AT comcast.net I am "RNichols42"

  11. Re: can't change from field


    "Robert Nichols" wrote in
    message news:dlvggf$5fb$1@omega-3a.right.here...
    > In article , tf wrote:
    > :
    > :"Robert Nichols" wrote in
    > :message news:dlsq9l$p3u$1@omega-3a.right.here...
    > :> Try commenting out the "EXPOSED_USER(`root')dnl" line in sendmail.mc
    > :> (change it to "dnl EXPOSED_USER(`root')dnl"). I didn't expect
    > :> EXPOSED_USER to override a genericstable translation, but perhaps it
    > :> does.
    > :
    > :It is commented out.
    > :Thanks,
    >
    > Did you try it both ways? I hate to sound like I'm making stabs in the
    > dark, but I just don't know how masquerading and genericstable lookups
    > interact. If "root" is _not_ an exposed user and masquerading is done
    > first, then the address may have already been set to "root@verizon.net"
    > prior to generics_domain and genericstable lookups. If "root" _is_ an
    > exposed user, then the address will be "root@localhost.localdomain", but
    > as I mentioned above there's the possibility that EXPOSED_USER blocks
    > genericstable lookups.
    >
    > --
    > Bob Nichols AT comcast.net I am "RNichols42"



    I tried every which way, to no avail.
    Now i have an urgent need to get this working:

    Note the email changes for my security:
    IP > xx.xxx.xxx.xxx



    etc.

    From @verizon.net Sun Dec 11 20:08:29 2005
    X-Apparently-To: @yahoo.com via xx.xxx.xxx.xxx; Sun, 11 Dec 2005
    20:03:08 -0800
    X-Originating-IP: [xx.xxx.xxx.xx]
    Return-Path: @verizon.net
    Authentication-Results: mta172.mail.re2.yahoo.com from=verizon.net;
    domainkeys=neutral (no sig)
    Received: from xx.xxx.xxx.xx (EHLO verizon.net) (xx.xxx.xxx.xx) by
    mta172.mail.re2.yahoo.com with SMTP; Sun, 11 Dec 2005 20:03:08 -0800
    Received: (from @localhost) by verizon.net (8.11.6/8.11.6) id
    jBC48TW09028 for @yahoo.com; Sun, 11 Dec 2005 20:08:29 -0800
    Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2005 20:08:29 -0800
    From:@verizon.net Add to Address Book Add Mobile Alert
    Message-Id: 200512120408.jBC48TW09028@verizon.net

    X-Authentication-Warning: localhost.localdomain: set sender to
    @verizon.net using -f







+ Reply to Thread