Fedora 4 kdm not using background image - Redhat

This is a discussion on Fedora 4 kdm not using background image - Redhat ; Hey everyone... I recently changed my login manager to kdm and set the options under KDE Control Center for the appearance I wanted. I restarted X and also rebooted the computer, but kdm isn't using the background I chose. It's ...

  1. Fedora 4 kdm not using background image

    Hey everyone...

    I recently changed my login manager to kdm and set the options under
    KDE Control Center for the appearance I wanted. I restarted X and also
    rebooted the computer, but kdm isn't using the background I chose.
    It's using the standard bluecurve that gdm uses by default.

    Anyone know how I can change this?

    Whitewater

  2. Re: Fedora 4 kdm not using background image

    Whitewater wrote:

    > Hey everyone...
    >
    > I recently changed my login manager to kdm and set the options under
    > KDE Control Center for the appearance I wanted. I restarted X and also
    > rebooted the computer, but kdm isn't using the background I chose.
    > It's using the standard bluecurve that gdm uses by default.
    >
    > Anyone know how I can change this?

    Did you perhaps forget to change the /etc/sysconfig/desktop file;

    DESKTOP="KDE"
    DISPLAYMANAGER=KDE

  3. Re: Fedora 4 kdm not using background image

    On Mon, 07 Nov 2005 20:35:36 GMT, Whitewater
    wrote:

    >Hey everyone...
    >
    >I recently changed my login manager to kdm and set the options under
    >KDE Control Center for the appearance I wanted. I restarted X and also
    >rebooted the computer, but kdm isn't using the background I chose.
    >It's using the standard bluecurve that gdm uses by default.
    >
    >Anyone know how I can change this?
    >
    >Whitewater

    I don't know of a GUI that does it, but there should be a
    configuration file - it's /etc/kde/kdm/kdmrc on FC3, probably on FC4
    too - with comments explaining what the settings do. The gdm-like
    bluecurve "theme" can be replaced either by turning off themes or
    selecting a different one, e.g.

    # Whether the greeter should be themed.
    # Default is false
    #UseTheme=true
    # The theme to use for the greeter. Can point to either a directory or
    an XML
    # file.
    # Default is ""
    Theme=/usr/share/apps/kdm/themes/Bluecurve

    Themes mask some of the more basic settings, so that may be why you
    aren't seeing the right background.

  4. Re: Fedora 4 kdm not using background image

    On Mon, 07 Nov 2005 22:29:28 GMT, Some Other Somebody Else
    wrote:

    >On Mon, 07 Nov 2005 20:35:36 GMT, Whitewater
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Hey everyone...
    >>
    >>I recently changed my login manager to kdm and set the options under
    >>KDE Control Center for the appearance I wanted. I restarted X and also
    >>rebooted the computer, but kdm isn't using the background I chose.
    >>It's using the standard bluecurve that gdm uses by default.
    >>
    >>Anyone know how I can change this?
    >>
    >>Whitewater

    >I don't know of a GUI that does it, but there should be a
    >configuration file - it's /etc/kde/kdm/kdmrc on FC3, probably on FC4
    >too - with comments explaining what the settings do. The gdm-like
    >bluecurve "theme" can be replaced either by turning off themes or
    >selecting a different one, e.g.
    >
    ># Whether the greeter should be themed.
    ># Default is false
    >#UseTheme=true
    ># The theme to use for the greeter. Can point to either a directory or
    >an XML
    ># file.
    ># Default is ""
    >Theme=/usr/share/apps/kdm/themes/Bluecurve
    >
    >Themes mask some of the more basic settings, so that may be why you
    >aren't seeing the right background.

    That did it. I changed 'UseTheme" to false and the screen now displays
    the background I chose.

    It must be something the people working on Fedora 4 implemented. I
    didn't have any trouble changing the login screen in Fedora 3.

    Thanks
    Whitewater

  5. Re: Fedora 4 kdm not using background image

    Some Other Somebody Else wrote:
    > On Mon, 07 Nov 2005 20:35:36 GMT, Whitewater
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Hey everyone...
    >>
    >>I recently changed my login manager to kdm and set the options under
    >>KDE Control Center for the appearance I wanted. I restarted X and also
    >>rebooted the computer, but kdm isn't using the background I chose.
    >>It's using the standard bluecurve that gdm uses by default.
    >>
    >>Anyone know how I can change this?
    >>
    >>Whitewater

    > I don't know of a GUI that does it, but there should be a
    > configuration file - it's /etc/kde/kdm/kdmrc on FC3, probably on FC4
    > too - with comments explaining what the settings do. The gdm-like
    > bluecurve "theme" can be replaced either by turning off themes or
    > selecting a different one, e.g.
    >
    > # Whether the greeter should be themed.
    > # Default is false
    > #UseTheme=true
    > # The theme to use for the greeter. Can point to either a directory or
    > an XML
    > # file.
    > # Default is ""
    > Theme=/usr/share/apps/kdm/themes/Bluecurve
    >
    > Themes mask some of the more basic settings, so that may be why you
    > aren't seeing the right background.

    I also found a setting in that file (etc/kde/kdmrc) that allows any user
    to shutdown/reboot the system like Gnome does.

    Change AllowShutdown=root
    to AllowShutdown=All

    restart kdm (CTRL-Backspace)

    When you logout, it will give you the options to log out, shutdown the
    computer, or restart the computer.

    Whitewater

+ Reply to Thread