Fedora - Redhat

This is a discussion on Fedora - Redhat ; I'm currently using FC2 (tried FC3, found it hopelessly buggy, and went back to FC2). Is FC4 any better than FC3? Or should I just wait a few weeks and get FC5? (Is Fedora still on the approximately six month ...

  1. Fedora

    I'm currently using FC2 (tried FC3, found it hopelessly buggy, and went
    back to FC2). Is FC4 any better than FC3? Or should I just wait a few
    weeks and get FC5? (Is Fedora still on the approximately six month
    release cycle? If so, FC5 would be coming out in Nov. or Dec.)

  2. Re: Fedora

    On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 11:07:14 GMT, Bruce Coryell
    wrote:

    >I'm currently using FC2 (tried FC3, found it hopelessly buggy, and went
    >back to FC2). Is FC4 any better than FC3? Or should I just wait a few
    >weeks and get FC5? (Is Fedora still on the approximately six month
    >release cycle? If so, FC5 would be coming out in Nov. or Dec.)

    Here's the link to the Fedora Core 5 Schedule:

    http://fedora.redhat.com/participate/schedule/

    I had some trouble with Fedora 4 and ended up going back to Core 3,
    which I don't have any trouble with after I ran 'yum update'. I had
    trouble with Fedora 4 with the desktop, however, I was reading that it
    might have something to do with my video card. (ATI Rage IIc) The
    screen was fuzzy and jumpy on the right hand side and there were
    garbled horizontal lines at times.

    Other than the video problems,Fedora 4 was stable and highly usable,
    and packed with a lot more features than Fedora 3.

    David

  3. Re: Fedora

    On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 11:07:14 +0000, Bruce Coryell wrote:

    > I'm currently using FC2 (tried FC3, found it hopelessly buggy, and went
    > back to FC2). Is FC4 any better than FC3? Or should I just wait a few
    > weeks and get FC5? (Is Fedora still on the approximately six month
    > release cycle? If so, FC5 would be coming out in Nov. or Dec.)

    Don't know when you tried FC3 but it's completely solid now. FC4 is also
    pretty reliable at this point. Any Fedora release is crap when it's first
    released, as time goes by it gets better and better. As a general rule of
    thumb it takes several months after a release before a particular release
    reaches a point where it's good enough to use for real work.

    If you are going to do an upgrade you should probably choose FC4. FC4
    isn't quite as bug free as FC3 but it's reached the stage where it good
    enough for almost all uses. FC4 also feels faster than FC3, don't know if
    it's because of improvements in Xorg or in Gnome, but it definitely feels
    quicker.

    One more thing, the first thing that you have to do after an install is do
    a yum update. The ISOs are never updated so they always come with the
    buggy initial release code, yum update fixes it.

  4. Re: Fedora

    On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 11:07:14 +0000, Bruce Coryell wrote:

    > I'm currently using FC2 (tried FC3, found it hopelessly buggy, and went
    > back to FC2). Is FC4 any better than FC3? Or should I just wait a few
    > weeks and get FC5? (Is Fedora still on the approximately six month
    > release cycle? If so, FC5 would be coming out in Nov. or Dec.)

    It would be nice if you can be specific. I mean what is buggy in FC3?
    Though I no longer used FC3 but I used and enjoyed it before. I currently
    use FC4 and I'm satisfied as well. I am a very big fan of fedora since
    FC1. I will always recommend it to any serious Linux user. -

    Stan!

+ Reply to Thread