Configuring Telnet - Redhat

This is a discussion on Configuring Telnet - Redhat ; I ran the setup program from the command line and turned on Telnet. After rebooting the system, I am getting connection refused. Fedora Core 4 What did I miss??? Is there somewhere else to post FC4 questions? TIA Ron...

  1. Configuring Telnet

    I ran the setup program from the command line and turned on Telnet. After
    rebooting the system, I am getting connection refused.

    Fedora Core 4

    What did I miss???

    Is there somewhere else to post FC4 questions?

    TIA
    Ron

  2. Re: Configuring Telnet

    On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 18:02:34 -0500, "Ronald J Marchand"
    wrote:

    >I ran the setup program from the command line and turned on Telnet. After
    >rebooting the system, I am getting connection refused.
    >
    >Fedora Core 4
    >
    >What did I miss???
    >
    >Is there somewhere else to post FC4 questions?
    >
    >TIA
    >Ron

    Hi,

    Most likely the firewall or SELinux settings.

    HTH
    D.

  3. Re: Configuring Telnet

    On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 08:39:52 +0200, Daffy D. wrote:

    > On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 18:02:34 -0500, "Ronald J Marchand"
    > wrote:
    >
    >>I ran the setup program from the command line and turned on Telnet.
    >>After rebooting the system, I am getting connection refused.
    >>
    >>Fedora Core 4
    >>
    >>What did I miss???
    >>
    >>Is there somewhere else to post FC4 questions?
    >>

    > Hi,
    >
    > Most likely the firewall or SELinux settings.

    If it's the firewall the client should hang, then timeout. "Connection
    Refused" is a response from the server.

    The service probably isn't running. This could, as stated above, be caused
    by the SELinux setup or a telnet configuration issue.

    The other prerequisite response to a telnet server question: If the server
    in question is going to be connected to the internet your server will have
    about twenty minutes of uptime before it's cracked and zombified or
    killed. Telnet is very insecure.

    If it's going to be connected to the internet you should use ssh instead
    of telnet.

    --
    "Blessed is he who expects nothing, for he shall never be disappointed."
    Benjamin Franklin (I didn't know he was a Buddhist)

  4. Re: Configuring Telnet

    As am FYI, you dont need to reboot. Just restart xinetd.

    HTH

    Ronald J Marchand wrote:

    > I ran the setup program from the command line and turned on Telnet. After
    > rebooting the system, I am getting connection refused.
    >
    > Fedora Core 4
    >
    > What did I miss???
    >
    > Is there somewhere else to post FC4 questions?
    >
    > TIA
    > Ron

+ Reply to Thread